Favourite quotes

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
One that was offered to me in lugubrious but thoughtful conversation with a Romanian colleague (a senior police officer) over a glass (or two) of his home-made pear slivovitz: "When a mosquito lands on your balls…….you realise…...that…….not every problem can be solved by violence."

Last edited:

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -- Mark Twain

"Most people can't bear to sit in church for an hour on Sundays. How are they supposed to live somewhere very similar to it for eternity?" -- Mark Twain

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me." -- Steve Jobs

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." -- Steve Jobs

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower." -- Steve Jobs

"He got excited when he saw the whites of the goalpost's eyes." -- Steve Coppell

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." -- Doug McLeod

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Dr Seuss

“Before you speak ask yourself: Is it kind, is it necessary, it is true, does it improve upon the silence?” -- Shirdi Sai Baba

Few of my favourites.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Too many for me to mention, and would be a pain putting in from a phone. But here's a good recent one:

When you know what's ahead, you can properly chart your course, in flight and in life. -- Amelia Rose Earhart

BL.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Hope I haven't posted these two already:

"Nothing is permanent in this world, not even our troubles." - Charlie Chaplin

"Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that - that is what life is. You might be really good. You might find out something about yourself that’s really special and if you’re not good, who cares? You tried something. Now you know something about yourself." - Amy Poehler​

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
"Nothing's impossible if you don't know it's impossible."

"When you're going through Hell, keep going."

"All of us are in the gutter; only some of us are looking at the stars."

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
"Always accept someone's lunch invitation. Either they genuinely want to have lunch with you, and you'll have a great time. Or they don't really want to spend with you and are just being polite... in which case - ***** 'em."

- my mom -

Also.... my signature. Good words to live by.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Two more that are great. A new, profound leadership nugget from Amelia Earhart:

Anger needs an audience.. if you tune them out, they can't be heard.
To the sarcastic, cynical, crotchety old grandpa.

**** My Dad Says

"No. Politicians don't wanna scare you, they wanna keep you stupid. Fear is just the smell when ignorance takes a ****."

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature ******* the neighbor."

"I like the dog. If he can't eat it, or **** it, he ****** on it. I can get behind that."

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
BL.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
When playing football;
Sometimes the ball gets past you, and some time the player gets past you, but never let the player get past you with the ball.

My dad, master of the late tackle!

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Here's a rueful wake-up call of sorts from Esdras (the first book of Ezra) in early Christian writing; it is regarded as canonical in Eastern sects but generally in the West as apocryphal.

It may have been used as epigraph in more than one novel. :rolleyes: Anyway I ran into it in the front of Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure.

Yea, many there be that have run out of their wits
for women, and become servants for their sakes.

Many also have perished, have erred,
and sinned, for women…

O ye men, how can it be but that
women should be strong, seeing they do thus?"​

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
“In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar.” — Richard Brautigan, In Watermelon Sugar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.