Favourite quotes

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
“The difficulties in shaping the international environment in any era are immense. Few powers even attempt it, and even the strongest rarely achieve all or even most of their goals. Foreign policy is like hitting a baseball: if you fail 70 percent of the time, you go to the Hall of Fame.”

--Robert Kagan, "Not Fade Away: The Myth of American Decline" - in The New Republic online, January 11, 2012​

Comment

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
"And to acknowledge our dreams is to sometimes acknowledge the distance between those dreams and our present situation. Acknowledged, our dreams can shape the realities of our future, if we arm them with the hard work and scrutiny of now."
--Audre Lorde, from the book Sister Outsider

Last edited:
Comment

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Comment

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
One that resonates especially deep at the moment.

"Be careful who you call a friend. I'd rather have four quarters than a hundred pennies."

-Al Capone

Another one, on a completely unrelated note.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
This hs been banging around in my head for the past couple of weeks

What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Are my priorities set more on gaining wealth or what truely is important?

Comment

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Words that have crossed my mind recently per events in US news:

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."​
-- Viscount John Morley, 1874 in his treatise "On Compromise".​

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Comment

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
“Don’t believe everything you think.”
There's a quote by Aleister Crowley that echoes a similar sentiment I always found interesting.

"It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgements for absolute truth."

Say what you will about The Great Beast, but there's some truth in that one.

Comment

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
“Don’t believe everything you think.”
There's a quote by Aleister Crowley that echoes a similar sentiment I always found interesting.

"It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgements for absolute truth."

Say what you will about The Great Beast, but there's some truth in that one.
Something I need to remind myself always, even (or especially) here. It is irritating in others when expressed, but I need to remember my irritation is linked to the idea my thoughts are correct.

Comment

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A little gem from W.H.Auden:

"Really, to appreciate archdeacons, you need to know some barmaids, and vice versa. The same is true of poetry."​

Bumped into that as one of the quotes included in the introduction to an edition of The Penguin Book of English Verse. An interesting collection, that one, arranged by first appearance in general readership rather than by poet. Not my favorite, but made me think differently about some of the works. The Auden quote is well suited to an experience of poems considered in groups and sequences not quite as one would expect from having used more traditionally arranged anthologies of English poetry.

Anyway that quote rings true to me and not just in literary matters. I flipped it into my not very often (or well) maintained commonplace book. Ran into it again today when seeking a different notebook, spotting the commonplace one and of course thinking "wow, haven't used this lately..."

So now off to find that other notebook.

"Art is long, life is short, [library is a hot mess]" -- and you may quote me on the update to that old saw.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Comment

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
  • There’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it over.
  • No work of art is finished; it is only abandoned. (Stanley Kubrick)
  • Socially a journalist fits in somewhere between a whore and a bartender. But spiritually he stands beside Galileo. He knows the world is round. (Sherman Duffy)
  • The survival value of human intelligence has never been satisfactorily demonstrated. (Michael Crichton)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.