Favourite Star Wars film - and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by keysofanxiety, Jul 21, 2015.

?

Favourite Star Wars film?

1. Episode I - The Phantom Menace

2. Episode II - Attack of the Clones

3. Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

4. Episode IV - A New Hope

5. Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

6. Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

7. Episode IV - A New Hope (Remastered)

8. Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (Remastered)

9. Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (Remastered)

10. Episode IV - A New Hope (Adywan Remaster)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. keysofanxiety, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Just a little fun I suppose. I'd be interested to get your views!

My housemate and I are in constant disagreement about which of the 6 films we prefer, or which one is better. He says Empire because he thinks it's overall a more consistent film, though I definitely prefer Jedi - notwithstanding a few Ewok scenes, Jabba the Hutt and the Emperor are just sensational.

So, I'll put it to the community. Which do you prefer? Are you a stickler for the original cuts, or when you sit down to watch it, would you rather watch one of the remasters? Love the debates about who shot first, when Greedo didn't shoot at all in the original cut? Maybe you prefer seeing the Wampa chewing into Luke's tauntaun, rather than the distant screams in the ice cave? Prefer the smooth Jazz to the Yub Nub song?

Or do you prefer the prequels? Darth Maul's your favourite Sith? Perhaps you don't like sand; granted, it's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Or maybe General Grievous was shorter than you expected?

We're not here to judge!

For a bonus question - what's your favourite from the prequels/sequels, and why?

I'll get the ball rolling with the original cut of Jedi. No CGI Evar Orbus for me! :D

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I can watch the OT with the same pleasure, except for the special edition and subsequent changes, so it's hard to pick one film in particular. I hate the prequels, not because of the "they ruined my childhood" crap, but because they are just bad movies. When you manage to make Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Christopher Lee look bad on screen, there's a problem that goes way deeper than a Sarlacc throat.

3. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Couldn't agree more, honestly I think the whole of the OT is just damned fantastic and the ending transition music in Episode IV to lead into the credits is just awesome. They're all so, so great.

4. Huntn, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Episode IV because it establishes the Star Wars universe, a great adventure of underdogs fighting The Empire, and includes amazing visuals.

I'm waiting to see the critical wrath leveled on anyone who votes for I, II, or III, lol. :p

The remaster version of A New Hope made Mos Eisley (other than a long shot painting in the original), seem more substantial of a place, but really added nothing and the changing of Hans Solo-Greedo dynamic was the director's crime that weakened Solo's character. Regardless he shot in self defense. :)

5. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh, there are lots of people who prefer the prequels!

... ;)

[​IMG]

6. Abiatha Swelter macrumors newbie

Abiatha Swelter

Empire Strikes Back is the best because of the least involvement by Lucas. Personally, I could live without ever seeing Ewoks again. And the later movies hardly bear thinking about.

7. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah but the Emperor, bro! And the space battle above Endor/Century Moon! Surely the great makes up for the bad, it's still a great film!

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As their FAVORITE Star Wars films?? *Sharpening blades* lol. OK, who was it?? Fess up! :D

9. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

At least ep. VII looks like it could restore balance in the universe ;)

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The problem with the Ewoks IMO is that they projected no visually credible threat, diminishing realism of the story, however the battle above Endor made up for it. :)

11. keysofanxiety, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015

keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ah yeah, but you did have all those scenes with the Ewoks getting gunned down, and that little baby Ewok trying to wake up its dead mother ("momma? momma? awwwh :("). I still maintain that the Ewoks were more a distraction and then the Rebels started doing the heavy lifting. Yeah I guess they smashed a few AT-STs later in the film though it's not like they single-handedly took on the Empire :D

Might even be the best one yet (though that sort of talk is dangerous!)

Especially when reading about how excited people were before they saw the Phantom Menace is ... heartbreaking.

The real crime was CGI Jabba - boy, what a crock :mad:

12. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

hehe... Based on the trailers, ep.VII "feels" like Star Wars - it looks like J.J recaptured the spirit of the first films. I have hope! :) ...although if they make an ep.VII holiday special things will get ugly.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed, that was an ameuturish visual and a case of a clarification that was not needed.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I was 11 when it came out and was just amazed by it. I saw it about a dozen times in the theater.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is treason talk right there!!!! We don't discuss the holiday special, if asked about the holiday special we deny it exists....... nothing good comes from the holiday special.

Hard choice for me, I like the originals. All for different reason. The ewoks sucked, but the battle in space more than made up for it.

Empire probably the better out of the three. Better story, better acting, and of course the Hoth battle scene! :D

The original was great. It was the one that started it all. New worlds, new characters, space ships we have never seen, and of course the introduction of one bad mofo!

16. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

C'mon guys where are the votes for Jedi :p Jabba, Emperor Palpatine, Vader's redemption, Endor space battle ... surely that makes up for Ewoks? :D This is the film it was all building up to! Both Jabba & the Emperor were mentioned in IV + V, but never introduced! Palpatine's gotta be the number 1 movie villain of all time, surely?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall I think the best Star Wars file is the Empire Strikes back, but Revenge of the Sith is one of my favorites. I do love how Anakin transformed into Darth Vader. I think Lucas really erred in a lot of ways for the 3 prequel movies but out of those there, Revenge was good :)

18. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Yeah yeah.. .but aren't you forgetting something?

[​IMG]

;)

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I read a rumor that the Ewoks (Wookies in pig latin, how original Lucas:rolleyes:) were supposed to be Wookies.

Anyhow, did anyone else find it disturbing that those cute, cuddly Ewoks were so adept at capturing and transporting our heroes? Makes you wonder if they where planning on having them for dinner--and not as guest.:eek:

Anyhow, Empire Strikes Back (original) was the best film. Darth Vader shows off his negotiation skills at Cloud City.:cool: One of the most well known minor character of all time makes an appearance (Boba). The only thing that would have made it better would be Hans shooting first, but that happened in A New Hope (original).

20. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hotdamn, I'd ask her to stabilise the rear deflectors and watch for enemy fighters.

You're absolutely right - they were initially meant to be Wookies. Interestingly nobody refers to them as 'Ewoks' in the film, so I'm not sure if that name was conjured in the EU by a writer, by Lucas himself, or by fans.

There's also an interesting fan theory about the Ewoks. As you mentioned, they were going to cook up our protagonists for a feast in 3PO's honour, so they're certainly not afraid to try human/Wookie flesh. However, at the end of the film, you see them with loads of Stormtrooper helmets ... but no Stormtroopers. The theory goes that they ate them :eek:

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My favorite thing about any star wars film is the depiction of anything "Empire".

22. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

So that means you'll be voting Jedi? With the evil Emperor? All the fleet? Loads of Star Destroyers? Second Death Star?

Please? I can't be the only one here who prefers RoTJ! :oops:

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yes I prefer parts of RotJ, like the battle of endor. But as a whole I like the strategic nature of how the Empire goes about finding the rebel base and luring luke in Empire Strikes back.

24. Huntn, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I like them all, except I-III, lol, but was asked for a single favorite- Episode IV.
    I-III told what happened leading up to IV in their poorly directed, CGI inundating, disappointing way. :)

25. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

4-5-6 are all stunning to be honest, definitely not grudging anybody's choice.

Just surprised that there are multiple IV/V choices as the best, but nobody's favourite is the last! People must really, really hate Ewoks :D

… and then there's that one Phantom Menace fan o_O