FCP X Demo: 'Nowhere Near' Final Version, More on Final Cut Studio Apps Coming

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While unofficial video of yesterday's Final Cut Pro X sneak peek has already surfaced, prominent trainer and consultant Larry Jordan has also posted an excellent overview, entitled "The Sound of 1,700 Jaws Dropping", describing the overhaul for Apple's professional-level video editing package.
    Apple has yet to update its website with any information on the new Final Cut Pro, and may not do so for some time yet given that the event was an early demo of the software and not an official launch, but many of the features detailed in the demo have already been noted in our coverage of the event.

Jordan reports, however, that the Final Cut Pro X build used in the demo was in fact an old one that had been used in February for a small invitation-only preview on Apple's campus and that many more improvements have been made since that time.
    And just as we noted Apple's comments to The Loop last night suggesting that Apple will share more information on the other components of Final Cut Studio in due time, Jordan reports that despite drawing heavily on many of those components for Final Cut Pro X itself, Apple indeed says that there is more to come.
    Final Cut Pro X is set to launch in June and will be priced at $299.

Article Link: Final Cut Pro X Demo: 'Nowhere Near' Final Version, More on Final Cut Studio Apps Coming

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3. flooce macrumors member

so what do the experts say to that? Does it mean a step up, down or a side-step on the professional–consumer scale?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Maybe Steve will introduce the full version? "Boom" here's the new Final Cut Studio.

Final Cut Pro is already professional. New version is even better.

5. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

6. Stirfry2112 macrumors newbie

"However, this does not mean these other applications are dead - simply that Apple is not talking about them... yet."

So maybe this explains the low price point. $299 for Final Cut Pro X and $999 for the full suite? I hope not. All looks amazing though!

7. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have no real answer, but the general rule with these kinds of programs is that they pretty much run fine on any hardware by themselves. The question becomes "What level of media can they handle before they become unbearably slow?"

So not only do we not have specs, we STILL won't know the answer to your question until people start playing with it. I really thinnk the answer will be 'yes, up to a point.' But what that point is is something you'll have to wait and learn from other users. I suspect it will work, but to what extent I don't know.

(That said, the Air is never going to be anyone's dream machine for this kind of work. It's built for portability, not speed.)

9. rydewnd2 macrumors regular

no

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

In the App Store, right.

*lol*

11. henrystar macrumors regular

I am NOT into "talkies" - I think they are called "movies" now? But what excites me, especially as an AAPL investor (mostly at $4/share) is the vision of iSteve and his team. Where the hell would we be if we only had that other fellow...yes, I'm pleased that fellow donates for world health, God bless him....

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Have you some health problems?

:rolleyes:

13. Blipp macrumors 6502

No clue. I bet it would run but not all that well. I hope these comments on the rest of the Studio will calm some of the "sky is falling" pessimists. I'm not saying that FCPX is a home run yet but I'm more than happy to leave my torch and pitchfork in the shed based on what's been demoed so far.

14. SmileyBlast! macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it's shipping in June, even June 30, how can it not be near final form? I mean when a developer tells me s/w is "nowhere near final form" I'm thinking early beta at best. But 2.5 months from release (assume June 30) shouldn't it be in the bug testing phases and everything else locked up?

It should except where a plugin or feature is GPU intensive and needs a real video card. That is the real Achilles heel of the 13". (I say that as an owner). Motion will run like molasses though.

16. Drew n macs macrumors member

I hope they hold true to the June date. If apple does not announce on their website is this an indication the date might slip?

So will this also be available at the apple store also?

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It really sounds like this may be only on the App-store. If so, knock a month off your imagined timeline since they don't have to burn disks, print those huge books, and package them all up.

So this is more like '3.5 months out' by the old way of thinking of things.

Also, the way I read this it seems like they're using a version from February at these demos. (Which makes sense that they wouldn't show off the absolute current version. Someone's probably been working on this presentation for awhile.) So what they showed really could be a version that has literally 4 or 5 more months of work going into it.

18. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Seeing as how it is referencing the version that was showed which was shown in February I can see how that build would be nowhere near the final form. It is a build that is at least two months old and probably a more stable/incomplete build so that it wouldn't crash constantly during the demo. I can completely see how a lot of features would be missing from the demo version.

19. stefmesman macrumors 6502

I hope they brighten the interface a bit. I find it too dark. Also i hope some of the buttons become drop down buttons. It looks way more cluttered then FCP7.

all the improvements i have seen are major approvements. Even though this is an early demo. bravo, apple.

edit: or give us the advanced and regular version UI ;) all buttons that have shortcuts i dont see need for in the UI for an everyday user like me.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think they meant the build they showed last night, which is the same build they showed in Feb, is an old version that's no where near what the final version in terms of features. For all we know the build they showed might have from Dec or Jan (if or possibly even older).

Lethal

21. Gatesbasher macrumors regular

But...but...but...this is only "iMovie Pro"! Apple's dumbing it down! No "professional" would spit on this if it was on fire! A buncha internet blowhards said so, so it must be true!

22. jeznav, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

jeznav macrumors 6502

I locked my jaw from the constant jaw-dropping. :D

I was skeptical at first of it being dumbed down but once I saw the demo, it has a lot of things under the hood. Things just get out of the way and lets you focus on editing. It may look like iMovie but this is even better than the current Final Cut Pro and iMovie combined. Just look at how powerful the timeline is.

23. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't forget that the feb version was probably an even earlier version to make sure that it all works seamlessly so we could be looking at a version that is early 2011 at the latest.

From all the tidbits of information flowing in I am getting very excited about this update and have already seen many hours that would have been saved if I had had the new version on previous projects I've done this year! It just keeps on getting better!

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This will change everything

Having watched the video I cannot describe how excited I am about the new FCP. Coming from working on a monstrous project this will save so much time with the new interface. I am so excited about the magnetic timeline, I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

25. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't know if you have seen the hi-res screenshots but there seems to be a switch (like a light switch) next to the zoom tools in the bottom right that could toggle between two set colours maybe?