Fedex lost ipad2...then it showed up weeks later...keep or send back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by J-bo, Apr 29, 2011.

1. J-bo macrumors newbie

So..fed ex lost my iPad...apple put me at the end of the iPad list...even though I order it day 1...so I waited at store to get a new one...then cancelled my replacement...apple confirmed with fed ex that it was lost prior to refunding my money...weeks later..the lost iPad appeared was delivered

Hypothetically..if I kept it...do you think apple marked it as lost in their system and I will have problems when I try to register/ sync?

2. WillEH, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I think you should be honest, and return it. I do think they would mark it as lost. But who knows. Good luck with whatever you choose sir!

3. 184550 Guest

Get ready for the Moral Police OP, it's not going to be pretty.

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

In all fairness, he is asking if he should return or keep it. So people are going to spit their opinions out. Morally or not. I don't know what else he is expecting..

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

CL sale it. Cash only.

You get paid, and any problems belong to someone else.

No id, don't use your email, ect.

Cash and go.

6. Kupp macrumors regular

Depends, how is the light bleed?

J/k If you decide to keep it, make sure it works before calling apple. You don't want to cancel things then find you got a dud.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

And therefore being a lying criminal who potentially gets someone else put in jail. :mad:

To be honest, I won't say I wouldn't consider keeping it, but ultimately I'd contact Apple and see what I should do because if the serial number is in some way flagged in their system, you or anyone else would be potentially in real trouble when it was registered, or at the very least be charged for it.

Besides, despite the above poster's brilliant suggestion, if the iPad is indeed flagged, YOUR name will still be attached to it. And the FedEx guy or whatever knows he delivered it to you and it's in their system. Wouldn't take much work to trace the origin to you regardless of how "untraceably" you disposed of it. Take the safe route and return it, if that's what Apple instructs you to do.

8. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you keep it just know a few things:

1. If apple considered it lost then the serial number attached to the iPad has no warranty. Therefore, you cannot get it repaired nor extend warranty (since there is no warranty to begin with).

2. I am not sure but apple may have something in place that when you attempt to sync it, it will lock it and notify apple that the stolen/lost iPad has appeared.

There may be no issue in you keeping it as long as you know that you 1. May not be able to use it and/or 2. It may not have warranty.

9. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's ok..I can take it :D

If apple would have done the right thing by immediately shipping me out another one right when it was deemed lost..then it wouldn't even be a question..but I originally ordered my iPad 7 minutes after it went on sale...their carrier lost it and they were making me wait 5 more weeks..that just p&$$Ed me off...so then I had to stand and wait out in the cold and rain to get one..and I didn't even get the exact one I wanted..apple has already been paid by fed ex....

Yes..I am trying to rationalize it :).

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Which won't keep you out of jail if the iPad is flagged somehow.:cool:

11. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

If I would decide to keep it...if it showed up as lost or stolen..u can seemon my apple account that I was the original person who bought it..

Odds are..I will return it..but if by some chance I keep it...if they ever came back to me..I would just admit it and pay the price of the iPad.

12. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'd think they would go further than just charging you for it. It's stealing, no matter how you look at it. That's like me robbing a bank, getting caught, telling them I'll pay the money back, and I get no jail time... you see?

13. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

I somehow doubt they would put me in jail for keeping something I bought...someone lost...but then delivered a month later...will they want me to pay for it..most likely..

14. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

this happened to a refurbished iPod Touch I ordered last year. never showed up the day it was scheduled to be delivered, though it was marked as delivered on the tracking page but with a completely different persons signature. Contacted fedex and apple neither could "find it". apple sent a new one, then about 3 weeks later i had a call tag on my door saying for a package and missed delivery from fedex, went to the pick up station, low and behold it was there. Im assuming they attempted the first delivery at my house didnt answer and left it at the pick up station where it was mistakenly signed for. :confused: not sure.

I contacted apple and told them of the entire situation, gave them the case information and after a while on hold with the rep told -- he straight told me to not worry about it and it was already resolved and what I did with it was up to me. Granted it wasnt quite as expensive as an iPad but I'd atleast inform them because as a just in case they may charge you for it, however if they -Apple and FedEx resolved it as lost its my understanding they get compensated for it, but not 100% sure.

15. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhhh..no..it it nothing like robbing a bank..I bought something...fed ex lost it..I was reimbursed..and a month later fed ex found it and delivered...

I do agree it would be considered stealing..And thus morally wrong..but I would not compare it to intentionally going to a bank to rob it.

16. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I was using the bank as an example. It's not as bad, but it's the same thing. However we look at this, it's stealing. Last time I checked, in America stealing is still a bad thing. You could get away with a smack on the wrists here in the UK though :D

17. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.:D

18. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah..that is my plan..to call apple..I emailed fed ex..because ultimately fed ex is who is losing the money..they already paid apple..but they never responded.

19. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

True I do not think it would be considered theft since their investigation determined it was lost in transit and they already resolved the case.
    Now its on FedEx's shoulders to resolve any discrepancies on their end, they confirmed with Apple it was not traceable or able to be found, they closed the case with Apple and Apple probably got compensated as I'm sure they insure their packages when being sent to customers, gave you a refund to put towards a new iPad and seems like the case should be resolved -- and what you do with it at this point I guess sort of rests on what you feel obligated to do.
    Considering Apple already set the resolve to what they did I dont see how they would try to go after you for it personally.

20. iOS v Android macrumors member

After a hard life I learned that it is never right to take another mans property and their is little excuse to do so. The only justified reason to steal is for food if you are starving...and music and video product. Whats the worst that can happen. You lose an item you did not pay for?

21. J-bo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not denying it is theft..the interesting thing is..if I return it to apple...that isnt really solving anything..fed ex is the one losing the money..they paid apple..you know there is no way apple will go back to fed ex and give them e insurance money back..

I am going to call apple..I am not the type the knowingly break the law...just wanted to get others perspective..

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's alleviating your conscious, absolving you of any potential guilt or consequences keeping it might bring, restoring the tiniest bit of faith in humanity, protecting the space time continuum from having it a hole ripped in it...

Okay, perhaps not the last two, but you get the point.

23. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I'm gonna tell you a true story. One of my friends was in the same situation as you when FedEx lost his 15" MBP. Well in the end he ended up with 2 MBP's for the price of 1. Unfortunately 13 days after he got the second MBP he crossed the street on his way to work and a truck slammed right into him and he died of internal injuries... call it karma or just plain bad luck. Do what you want with it...

24. Holoshed macrumors regular

To this day I still do not know why people come to internet forums and ask peoples advice. Most criminals get caught because they either brag about what they have done or ask about if they did the right thing. Now, I will add to this its obvious you are not a hardened criminal and probably never even stole anything, not even a grape at the grocery store but do you honestly think anyone here can tell you its ok to keep it?

If you want to know the hard facts, its true, it was marked as lost and fedex paid out to apple because once its shipped, its their right to reimburse the person who shipped it. Now of course it pends on if they have insurance on what was shipped but I would think Apple had some kind of setup with the shippers.

So, if you want a free conscience then call apple and tell them, end of story. If you feel the desire to keep it and use it or sell it or give it to your uncle bob, none of us here can tell you to do it or not to do it.

There is a time to stand up and make your own decisions in life, and well, this isnt something like "should I ask out betty joe," you are dealing with real money and real items.

Now will you go to jail if they find out, no, this is not theft in the traditional sense. To be a theft you would actually have to con a company out of actually delivering the product to you with an intention of fraud or using an exploit to buy it etc etc.

Process this all as you will but we are not yoda... To return or not, we cannot tell you this.

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The last one requires emitting tachyon beams (presumably from an iPad) at the same spatial location from three different times, which can effect the future of humanity.