Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
If you need the money and such, keep it. If not, return it bro. Either way, I don't give a care. It is *you* who has to live with yourself. If you have no guilt and are not worried about the possibility of getting caught, go or it.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
To this day I still do not know why people come to internet forums and ask peoples advice. Most criminals get caught because they either brag about what they have done or ask about if they did the right thing. Now, I will add to this its obvious you are not a hardened criminal and probably never even stole anything, not even a grape at the grocery store but do you honestly think anyone here can tell you its ok to keep it?

If you want to know the hard facts, its true, it was marked as lost and fedex paid out to apple because once its shipped, its their right to reimburse the person who shipped it. Now of course it pends on if they have insurance on what was shipped but I would think Apple had some kind of setup with the shippers.

So, if you want a free conscience then call apple and tell them, end of story. If you feel the desire to keep it and use it or sell it or give it to your uncle bob, none of us here can tell you to do it or not to do it.

There is a time to stand up and make your own decisions in life, and well, this isnt something like "should I ask out betty joe," you are dealing with real money and real items.

Now will you go to jail if they find out, no, this is not theft in the traditional sense. To be a theft you would actually have to con a company out of actually delivering the product to you with an intention of fraud or using an exploit to buy it etc etc.

Process this all as you will but we are not yoda... To return or not, we cannot tell you this.

Where's a standing ovation smilie when you need it? :D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
OK, no more theoretical BS, the point is, if no one ever discovers it and your iPad is in a very fine condition and you don't plan to claim warranty from Apple, you know what to do.

Last edited:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Karma. Call Apple, if they tell you to just keep it - fine. If it were me I would donate it to a children's hospital if I were told to just keep

Just doing the right thing is what we all should be striving for. You will feel better for it - I promise.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I would personally return it but it's your life do what you want just remember Karma's A Bitch haha

Last edited:

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
I don't know what I would do if it were me, but I know what I'd recommend. Call Apple and ask them what you should do. Based on two things:

1. FedEx owns the iPad now, since they paid Apple for it.
2. Apple has iPad's rolling out of the manufacture line by the second.

Apple will probably tell you that it's not a big deal and you can keep it. Arranging it getting back to them and going through the processes their merchandise has to go through to be re-certified, etc, is probably not worth the one customer's happiness.

But I could be wrong.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
ALL OF YOU TELLING HIM TO RETURN IT KNOW YOU WOULDN'T RETURN IT YOURSELF.

Let's be honest, if we all had a free iPad 2 in our hands we'd all keep it.

Forget Apple, they made recording breaking sales.

Keep it, if not return it to me. :D

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I know it's tempting as all heck, even I'd think about it, but there's one little problem:

I know if your iPad is stolen, Apple won't mark the serial in their system (and heaven forbid AT&T would for a 3G IPad, they'd probably happily sell the "new owner" service for it XD)

However, if it's their loss, they might just go do that. And then if you ever have a problem with it, and you take it to the Apple store, you might be in trouble.

Then again, you could always just.. you know... keep it, and if something's wrong or it breaks, consider it fair game because it was 'free'.

That said, I was in a situation like this with MS on a rebate once, I called them and they thanked me for my honesty and told me to keep it. :D It wasn't enough to buy an iPad but it was a REALLY generous gift.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
So..fed ex lost my iPad...apple put me at the end of the iPad list...even though I order it day 1...so I waited at store to get a new one...then cancelled my replacement...apple confirmed with fed ex that it was lost prior to refunding my money...weeks later..the lost iPad appeared was delivered

Hypothetically..if I kept it...do you think apple marked it as lost in their system and I will have problems when I try to register/ sync?

Just keep it.

I don't understand half the people in this thread. You're telling him to return the iPad, yet if you were in his position, you would keep it yourself. You may say you wouldn't, but once that beautiful iPad is in your hands... Greed will take over.

You wouldn't go to jail over this, and the dude that said that is hilarious. I would comment on that, but it would violate the terms on the forum, and I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.

Anyways, just keep the thing. Think of it as a present and move on with your life.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
I'm gonna tell you a true story. One of my friends was in the same situation as you when FedEx lost his 15" MBP. Well in the end he ended up with 2 MBP's for the price of 1. Unfortunately 13 days after he got the second MBP he crossed the street on his way to work and a truck slammed right into him and he died of internal injuries... call it karma or just plain bad luck. Do what you want with it...

While it is unfortunate what happened to your friend, to even suggest that "karma" or some other supernatural force played a role in his death due to his "immoral" act is a little ridiculous. Destiny didn't hand him his card because of a MBP.... He was on the unfortunate end of a bad accident. I guess it his human nature to attribute more significant and mysterious forces for causing major life events such as death. I guess it's not as interesting to imagine if that accident would have happened regardless if he returned the MBP.

To the OP: make attempts to resolve the issue. But if I were you, I would keep it. Sometimes good things happen, so enjoy it. I can almost guarantee everyone who is "scolding" or preaching to you would keep it if they were in your situation.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
While it is unfortunate what happened to your friend, to even suggest that "karma" or some other supernatural force played a role in his death due to his "immoral" act is a little ridiculous. Destiny didn't hand him his card because of a MBP.... He was on the unfortunate end of a bad accident. I guess it his human nature to attribute more significant and mysterious forces for causing major life events such as death. I guess it's not as interesting to imagine if that accident would have happened regardless if he returned the MBP.

To the OP: make attempts to resolve the issue. But if I were you, I would keep it. Sometimes good things happen, so enjoy it. I can almost guarantee everyone who is "scolding" or preaching to you would keep it if they were in your situation.

+1. Well said.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Oh, I think having a guilty conscience can lead to bad things, but then again..

I dunno what I'd do in this situation lol. Part of me would be so tempted to keep it and enjoy it, especially after given the "launch party" shaft, so to say. OTOH, I think I'd keep feeling like it wasn't mine unless Apple told me to keep it.

Here's the funny thing though: The whole insurance thing, it may be that FedEx reimbursed Apple for the lost package - in that case it's funny that they willingly delivered it to you anyway. You may want to look up the policy Fedex has for finding lost items. It may also be that Apple doesn't have such an agreement with Fedex because they do not pay per package like you or I would.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
After a hard life I learned that it is never right to take another mans property and their is little excuse to do so. The only justified reason to steal is for food if you are starving...and music and video product. Whats the worst that can happen. You lose an item you did not pay for?

Shoplifting CDs and DVDs is a horrible thing... but copying from one source to another (radio to cassette, TV to VCR, YouTube to mp3, LimeWire to iTunes, etc) is ok. That is just copying and has nothing to do with theft at all.

@TS: As long as you have made proper efforts to set things straight, you should be free to do with the iPad as you wish. As to whether or not "proper efforts" include making that phone call to Apple and informing them about this... look into your heart, and you will get your answer.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yeah..that is my plan..to call apple..I emailed fed ex..because ultimately fed ex is who is losing the money..they already paid apple..but they never responded.

I would say return it to Apple, but first you'll need an RMA, otherwise the package will go to shipping limbo.

So it may be better to consider the following if Apple never billed you for it:

1. Apple should have got reimbursed by FedEx already (or FedEx got already paid by their insurance company and they reimbursed Apple).

2. FedEx knows you got the package as they delivered it to you, so obviously they don't want it.

Just call Apple, and see what they have to say about it. They may tell you to keep it. Just document the call (or even better do an online chat). If they tell you to keep it, if someone claims it in the future, you'll have proof of being at no fault for it if Apple tells you to keep it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Forget Apple, they made recording breaking sales.

Keep it, if not return it to me. :D

Apple would never loose at this, as they most likely insure their shipments.
Just think about the poor delivery person who might be blamed for the lost package.

adversus

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Portland, OR
Uhhh..no..it it nothing like robbing a bank..I bought something...fed ex lost it..I was reimbursed..and a month later fed ex found it and delivered...

I do agree it would be considered stealing..And thus morally wrong..but I would not compare it to intentionally going to a bank to rob it.

You got refunded for it. If you keep it and don't tell Apple, that's theft. Plain and simple. No court would side with you.

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Where's a standing ovation smilie when you need it? :D

If you find out let me know. I still can't believe I came back to this going on.

Oh and to people quoting things about legal precedents or whatever that was, unless it actually involved an item being shipped to someone and then them saying "oh we found it, and want it back" and it going to court, it really doesn't fit here.

To the OP I am sure most people here do not care what you do, much less care to find out if you post you did it.

To the people telling him keep it, well, this reminds me of someone being in an interrogation room and when asked why they did the crime they say "well my friends told me it was ok, and they would do the same." Then the officer asks where are the friends now... Guess what, they are sitting at home with a nice air conditioner because they figured out its easier to tell people to do stuff when it doesn't affect them directly in any way.

Welcome to the anonymity of the Internet.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'm gonna tell you a true story. One of my friends was in the same situation as you when FedEx lost his 15" MBP. Well in the end he ended up with 2 MBP's for the price of 1. Unfortunately 13 days after he got the second MBP he crossed the street on his way to work and a truck slammed right into him and he died of internal injuries... call it karma or just plain bad luck. Do what you want with it...

Yeah, but what ever happened to the MBP's?

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Insurance does not come into it

I can tell you for certain that individual items are not insured by Fedex for their own account. They will provide insurance to senders (the item remains the property of the sender until delivered, unless the recipient agrees specifically to accept responsibility for shipping risks). However, on an individual shipment basis, unless the shipment is of very high value, say over $1m, Fedex will self insure. They will carry catastrophe insurance to cover themselves, if say one or more whole depots gets wiped out, as will have happened in Japan or the Southern US States this week. It would be far too expensive administratively to insure individual packages with a third party. At the end of each contract period Fedex and Apple will sit down and look at the total of items lost in transit. There will have been a formula agreed on how this loss is dealt with as part of the annual carriage contract between the two parties.

Notwithstanding this, we all know that, not to tell Apple that you have received an item, for which you have been reimbursed, is dishonest. What actual crime it is will depend on which States are involved and may be either mail fraud, malfeasance, theft or various other crimes. If the OP calls Apple I would make an attempt to record the call, advising the Apple employee you are doing so. If he/she tells you to keep the iPad, make sure that you get the person you speak to's name and Apple incident reference number. Make a contemporaneous note of the conversation and file it away carefully.

In my view Apple will have marked this item as stolen in their system and if its serial number and location shows up when it is connected, may well inform the police. Having a police record may impact on the rest of your life. Don't take the risk.

phibe1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I would just keep it for spare parts. Incase the screen or something cracks. Otherwise everybody has given great opinions already.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Honestly, keep it. No one will find out probably, other than the 30 or so people that read your thread, but they don't know you anyway. :)

Besides, Apple is a super rich corporation, one iPad won't break 'em. Consider it revenge for the Apple tax you've had to pay for years :p

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

I don't understand half the people in this thread. You're telling him to return the iPad, yet if you were in his position, you would keep it yourself. You may say you wouldn't, but once that beautiful iPad is in your hands... Greed will take over.

I know it's flamebait, but you caught me...

It's so annoying when people tell other people what they would/wouldn't/can/can't do, based on what they *themselves* would/wouldn't/can/can't do. PEOPLE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.

I would return it. The OP already has an iPad, what would be the point in owing a second? I'd rather not be caught up in this sort of situation, imo the quicker it's resolved, the better.

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
It's so annoying when people tell other people what they would/wouldn't/can/can't do, based on what they *themselves* would/wouldn't/can/can't do. PEOPLE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.

Like I said, the anonymity of the Internet at play. They feel they can say what they want and you know what great for them. You and me are the same, I would feel too bad if I kept it but in general this threat isnt about me.

Based on what I have seen in this thread, no wonder people in general have issues. If it isnt you who got afftected, you dont care, attitude.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
OP: You could have just kept it but you told us your story. That tree may never have fallen, but we all heard it (thanks to you) so it must have. Now its a community issue and it'll take a committee and a year to resolve it.

Don't keep it. Send it to me. I won't tell anyone. Never mention it again. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.