Feedback on "How an iPad Speeds Reporting from NASCAR's Pit Row"

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by topmounter, May 25, 2012.

1. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Kudos to NASCAR PR for a nice package. Welcome to the future of advertising... or at least I hope MacRumors got paid to post this drivel.

2. Thunderhawks Suspended

Measuring something with a special app?

As the poster above says PR for a nice package?

3. jlgolson Contributing Editor

jlgolson

It's called "reporting".

As has been stated many times before, MacRumors does not take paid placements.

4. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

yeah get rid of this stuff, we all want more patent dispute news!

5. daxomni macrumors 6502

That's the worst part. They actually suck-up for free. Day after day. And all they want in return is nothing.

This story? A free advertisement about a "contest" between a $5 pad of paper and a $500 tablet? How about a story that compares and contrasts the document and content creation abilities of a tablet verses a laptop? Speed, durability, precision, and the like. Things that actually matter to people who know what a computer should be capable of.

6. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I think people are just surprised this made the front page, rather than the iOS Blog where this sort of thing might usually go, since it really has nothing to do with Apple, or rumors.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It may as well be.

Someone found a special use for the iPad? How novel! Doctors use this, architects use it. Even blind people use it. Wouldn't the story of a blind person overcoming the challenges of his/her disability through use of the iPad be much more interesting?

What exact purpose does this serve on the MR front page? It has zero to do with mac rumors, finances or their competitors. It's a throwaway personal interest piece that belongs on nascar.com, not macrumors.com.

If there isn't news or rumors to report, just don't report. This is the kind of useless article that will drive me away from macrumors because it dilutes what it is about. Please stop. Please.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MR has officially jumped the shark.

Well said.

9. reedmartin macrumors regular

You should start your own site with the important news.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you have a problem with someone offering constructive criticism to the site?

11. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Hah, "reporting" - you're quite right.

12. Clown Boy macrumors regular

Seen as no one outside the US of A knows what NASCAR is then this article is pointless.

Is it that Tom Cruise film?

13. jlgolson, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012

jlgolson Contributing Editor

jlgolson

I think motorsport in general is pretty widespread around the world -- the concept of a pit lane reporter and all that. The article said literally nothing about the actual sport of NASCAR and was all about how one reporter users technology to cover it.

Give them a little bit of credit. I think folks in other countries will be able to figure it out.

14. SingleMode macrumors newbie

This sounds like an advertisement. Maybe it was that Arn asked Jordon to write these kinds of articles. I don't know. In any case, the quality of MacRumors' articles seems to have decreased. I would like to read articles that focus on the content, not NY Post.

15. reedmartin macrumors regular

It's not constructive criticism if you threaten to leave the site (yea..rite) or say this site has jumped the shark. That's just complaining.

If you don't like the article or the site, why comment? Do you really think the owners here are going to care about your idle threats of leaving? It's silly imo.

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

At least you put quotes around it. It was an in-depth, human interest article. I liked it, it was a good piece, but it's not a front page article of news about Apple or their business. That's what I expect when I click on the home page. I do think you're article has a place on MR, I just don't believe it's where it's currently located. [/2cents]

Yup.

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Really? :confused:

I hope you guys are really "Analyzing" this "data" involved in the +/- comments, there are some clear trends in there. :p

Says the guy who joined last week. :rolleyes:

MR's article quality has dropped significantly, and I agree with you, the site owner doesn't care. ;)

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Let me be clear. I feel you are confusing my honest expression of dismay and personal taste for a threat. I am not saying I will leave unless they stop. I'm saying I'll no longer want to come here if this continues.

In my opinion, two things make macrumors great. The 1st is their scrupulousness when it comes to rumor reporting. While other sites will report any rumor or picture they get without a hint of fact checking, MR only reports credible rumors or those that come from people with good track records. When they go print an iffy rumor, they qualify it in the post clearly.

The second is the community. It is extremely diverse here. I can find people here who will run circles around my knowledge in social and political debates while also finding people who are more knowledgeable than me on many technical aspects of the products, a field which I am in (Electrical Engineering). I've made several friends from this site, both on and offline and it's the community I've contributed to most. Thus, when I perceive a marked drop in quality of content, I become concerned. I care about this site because I feel like I'm invested too, even though I'm not an employee.

And let me also be clear. I do not think the article is bad or the writing was poor. I'm saying it simply doesn't belong here. I would be surprised to find this content on even the second page. I think the quality was just fine. Just not the place.

19. reedmartin macrumors regular

Lol thanks for proving my point! What are you, one of the veterans who's been here for years threatening to leave? Spare me. :rolleyes:

You guys are a dime a dozen on forums. Always complaining about something yet can't seem to leave. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Ah the irony!

20. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Much more eloquently put than I ever could, thank you! :cool:

21. reedmartin macrumors regular

Excellent post. I've been here "for a week" (according to the other guy) and i realize what you already have. That's why I'm not going to tell people how to do their job. It's their site, they can post what they want. The threatening to not come back or not enjoying the site is just that...idle. Im not a fan of just complaining for the sake of complaining (a common theme here unfortunately).

If you or anyone else really felt the way you did, you wouldn't come back. Yet you do. Which means it's just idle silliness. I guess i just don't understand the point of it. I know i would never go back to a site whos quality i felt was going downhill fast. But that's just me.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You seem to be suggesting a world where patience doesn't exist. I would also rather explain my discontent rather than just leave. Imagine many felt similarly. Wouldn't MR appreciate feedback as to why that happened rather than just have a bunch of people leave? I think so.

23. reedmartin, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

reedmartin macrumors regular

Again...are you really going to leave if mr doesn't change? If so prove it. Like i said, its idle threats. It doesn't work that way. If mr was in danger of losing a score of users who were not content it's one thing. What this is is two or three ppl saying how tired of mr they are...every single day.

Put your money where your mouth is. Leave. Maybe others will follow suit. It doesn't make sense to threaten to leave...and then post about threatening to leave tomorrow. Leave or don't. Until mr realizes that people are leaving in droves why would they visit the problem of people leaving en masse?.

I've said it before here but it's fitting here: it's obvious who doesn't own a business. You don't change your business model because some dude threatens to boycott you...but never does. Hit them where it hurts. Otherwise they're making as much as money off you as the fanboy who swears by macrumors.

Only difference is the fanboy admits it..and you don't...

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

To me it is a very specific and direct explanation of what doesn't constitute news for a news site dedicated to Apple.

I think you'll have to tell us where you ceased to see constructive commentary in that post. As an added service, I can also demonstrate how words can be rearranged to be far less constructive.

And please, if we're going to go along with this farce and call this reporting, can we all remember that extant writings are still in a state of being? That's not too much to ask from a professional writer, right?

25. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hey look. Another ipad article. Another Week of no Mac attention