Resolved Feel a little silly but...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kcinthebay, Jan 24, 2017.

1. kcinthebay macrumors newbie

kcinthebay

I can't seem to understand what happened here:

I downloaded HotSpot Shield VPN from this website - http://downloads.techradar.com/downloads/hotspot-shield

I know I know, I probably shouldn't have done that? I didn't realize it wasn't their actual websit[​IMG] e at the time.

Anyway, I opened up the installer and clicked on save file. (Please see attached photo.)

Afterwards, there was a confirmation message box that said it was successfully installed but I can't find anything anywhere. I checked applications, spotlight, search in the finder and of course desktop. Did I just dl something stupid and foreign on my computer? Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated. This frustrating.

Drats.

Attached Files:

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

3. kcinthebay thread starter macrumors newbie

kcinthebay

Drats. I did open it and saved the file to my computer. Nothing in my downloads folder and nothing on my desktop. Couldn't find anything called HotSpot Shield VPN anywhere. I thought I could trust TechRadar.com.

Do you know what a "chip-download.dmg" is? Or could it mean anything? I'm a little worried I might've downloaded some sort of spyware now.

Thank you again for replying.

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

5. kcinthebay thread starter macrumors newbie

kcinthebay

I downloaded Malawarebytes and it is on my desktop but it won't open. When I double-click it, nothing happens.

I think I def have something on my computer now. How do I get it running? Gah, this is frustrating.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    Restarted computer. Downloaded MB through Firefox and it opened finally. No threats detected.

THANKS for replying. You rock.