Feeling Ripped Off

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by TJ5921, Jun 12, 2012.

1. TJ5921 macrumors regular

I feel like users who paid to upgrade to Lion are getting ripped off. I upgraded to Lion because I am a huge apple supporter and loved the idea of a new OS for $30. Now with the release of Mountain Lion just a short year later, I'm regretting my decision of purchasing OS Lion. Now if I want to get 10.8 I will have to pay $50 while those who didn't upgrade only pay $20. I at least expected there to be a discount for Lion users. Any other Lion users regretting the upgrade?

2. gsmumbo, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

I went in knowing that I am paying for an OS that would eventually get another paid upgrade in the future. I enjoyed Lion and got my moneys worth. Now I get to purchase Mountain Lion even cheaper than Lion cost. I'm down. Those who are going straight from Snow Leopard didn't get to enjoy Lion like I did. I have no hard feelings.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You can switch to Windows and pay $200+ for a full upgrade to the full operating system....

Not to mention Im not sure where you get $50 from, its $20

4. gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

He added in the cost of Lion even though it doesn't really apply to ML.

5. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Ripped off over $30? I'd feel ripped off if I had bought Windows Vista back then...now that's a ripoff for a system that didn't even work OOTB.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The way I look at it, people like you who upgraded to Lion paid $30 for a year's use of 250 new features. Those who waited to upgrade didn't get any of them. Of course, nobody really cares about all of those features, but if you've used Mission Control, AirDrop, versioning, tap-to-zoom and other gestures, grouping selected folders, improved searching, the new Mail interface, etc. then you got many benefits for your money. What $30 app would give you that much?

This time you'll be paying $20 for hundreds of Mountain Lion features, some of which will be useful to you. If that's not worth $20 for, let's say, a year then you can skip this OS and wait for its successor.

7. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

$20 sure as hell beats $200+ from Windows. Plus, its as simple as downloading it from the App Store and installing it. So, besides it being ridiculously cheap, its also easier than Windows. I say, bring it on!

EDIT: plus, you don't need to buy it. Stick with Lion. Its decent.

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

$20 ***** dollars and you feel "ripped off"? Do you live out of a box? That's two days worth of lunch!

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

WTF? $20 is a steal. Get over it or stick with Lion.

10. TJ5921 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not arguing that $20 isn't a great deal because it is. I just wish I knew last year how pointless it was to buy Lion for $30 when they would drop basically an updated version this summer $10 cheaper. I would have kept snow leopard and waited for this. You would think those with OSX Lion would get a $10 upgrade or something. I think the majority of users didn't upgrade to Lion and its benefitting them now. I guess the logical thing would be to just wait until next summers update.

11. wankey, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

wankey macrumors 6502a

You guys are such complainers it isn't even funny.

Remember when OSes cost 129, windows ultimate cost 349?

TWENTY BUCKS, 2 pizzas. Apple users must be so incredibly poor these days, spend all their money on an over expensive laptop, complain when there's a really cheap OS upgrade.

Where is that dumb college girl meme when you need it.

12. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

This really is the entitlement generation.

You've been using Lion for a full year. That's what you paid $30 for. Nobody forced you to buy it. With your logic, you will never upgrade unless you buy a new computer. If you wish you hadn't bought Lion now that ML is going to be $20 a year later, then don't buy Mountain Lion--the next upgrade will come out a year later, and will likely cost the same. And don't buy that one, either, since the next one will come out a year after that.

13. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

Yeah, they should have held on to ML for another year! Would that have made you feel a little satisfied with your purchase of Lion?

14. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Suggestion: Don't upgrade to ML. Hold off until Mummified Pharaocat.

15. gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

Yup, why settle for next summers update when there's another one behind that! I'm betting you're still driving your first car since the one you realllly wanted was bound to be replaced by a newer model the next year. :p

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

So huge Apple supporters complain about $30 nowadays huh?

What does that make the people that have no problems with it? "Huger" Apple supporters.

If you feel ripped off then you were. Your feelings are your own creation and nothing we say can or should change that.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Congratulations! You are now enjoying the feeling of a sunk cost.

18. rupam.db macrumors member

Ml..

Somebody can upload it when it comes out so that he gets his way with Apple . . . :D

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Fun fact: All Mac OSes through System 7 were free! System 7.1 was the first one Apple charged for.

20. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hmmm, $20 and you feel ripped off? :confused:

When Apple announced the $19.99 price, I was more than happy - even though I have Lion on my machine, I am happy to buy a new OS for such a cheap price.

In my world it is not $20 i It's about R160 (South African Rands) - but buying Windows is a lot more.

1 x Windows 7 Ultimate - roughly, R2500 ( Give or take)
    1 x OS X 10.8 ( ML ) - R160.

Its no brainer.

Stop moaning - its a cheap upgrade and the amount of work that goes into making an OS - count yourself lucky it is not $150 upgrade!

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

^ what the guy from the Gold Coast (awesome place) said. ^

22. haravikk macrumors 65816

I've managed a decent run out of Lion, definitely worth the cost. Still, it does kind of feel that a number of Mountain Lion's features should have been in Lion, which should have been a little bit long in development, things like Fullscreen and iCloud which have various issues in Lion but seem like they're being fixed by Mountain Lion, rather than a point update to Lion.

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Actually Windows 8 upgrade will cost $15.

24. danetello macrumors 6502

$20 is a great price, don't know why you are complaining

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree wholeheartedly with Q on this. I always consider upgrades an investment, and I have certainly used Lion's features. I'm looking forward to ML and what it will bring as well.