Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Basically the idea to start this thread came from here ... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os9-late-osx-no-file-sharing-via-afp.2167422/
PS: Many thanks to all fellow MR-PPC-Forum members - without their genius help and advice things wouldn't have got so far by now
---

I'd like to use FileSharing between old PPC-Macs with os9 and intel-Macs (mine currently running on ElCapitan).
AFP on os9 only allows connections to OS X 10.1 - 10.5.
Currently I use a workaround to connect os9 to a virtual LeopardServer-session on ElCapitan.
Yesterday I found a very promising link about how replacing /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app in Yosemite by the same file from Leopard can reachieve AFP-connections between os9 and late OS X.
http://www.applefool.com/se30/#leopardfileserver
When I tried this on ElCapitan tonight, all came to an halt, when Finder refused to copy the Leopard-version of AppleFileServer.app into the named folder on ElCapitan. I wasn't even able to rename the file on ElCapitan.
Could someone give me help, how to trick in ElCapitan to change stuff in the /System/Library/CoreServices/ - folder?
AppleFileServer for os9.png
Left side: ElCapitan-version; right side: Leopard-version (extracted from my PowerBook)
Would I need a "pure" intel-version from a Leopard-installation on an Intel-Mac?
Does anyone have an intel-Mac Leopard-installation to check, if that AppleFileServer.app file is also labeled as "i386 PPC" ?

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You need to disable System Integrity Protection on El Capitan to replace that file. To do that, boot into the Recovery partition (you can't do this from a running system), open Terminal and enter:

Code:
csrutil disable

Reboot into El Capitan and you should be able to replace the file after backing it up somewhere in case things go wrong, but ensure it has the right permissions and ownership afterwards. To make sure, run the following commands in Terminal after replacing the file:

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app

Afterwards, you can reenable SIP by running

Code:
csrutil enable

after booting into Recovery again.

PS: There is no pure Intel version of Leopard. Every installation is Universal.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
You need to disable System Integrity Protection on El Capitan to replace that file. To do that, boot into the Recovery partition (you can't do this from a running system), open Terminal and enter:
Code:
csrutil disable
Reboot into El Capitan and you should be able to replace the file after backing it up somewhere in case things go wrong, but ensure it has the right permissions and ownership afterwards. To make sure, run the following commands in Terminal after replacing the file:
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app
Afterwards, you can reenable SIP by running
Code:
csrutil enable
after booting into Recovery again.
PS: There is no pure Intel version of Leopard. Every installation is Universal.

Hooray - everything worked great! Many thanks and cudos!
And you even took care about the question about permissions and ownership I forgot to ask ...
Here's a picture of my Clamshell connecting to my early-2008 15" MBP running ElCapitan.
:)
Modified AFP os9 To OSX 10.11.JPG AFP und Dave.jpg

So now os9 is pretty much integrated into my home network:
- FileSharing via AFP (for os9, OSX on both PPC and intel-Macs, Windows) or DAVE (for Windows)
native or with Transmit / Fetch
- webDAV with Goliath
- ScreenSharing with VNCthing
- IMAP-email and Web with Classilla
- Fax (yes in old Europe that still matters ... :) )
- Print To PDF
- Office: with AppleWorks6 or MS Office 2001
and the rest is fun ... ;)

Last edited:

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Indeed very cool. I used the trick back at the time of Maverick (?), then completely forgot about it.
thanks !

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
To search for more ...
Now, that I'm able with os9 to get hands on files on my PPC-Macs (Tiger/Leopard) and intel-Macs (SL-ElCap).
I'd like to make os9 a file-server to be accessible from post-Leopard OSX and iOS*.
Is there any software to make native os9 an AFP- or SMB- file-server?

*(on iOS "iFiles" v.1 is my SwissArmy-Knife for AFP/FTP/SFTP to all Macs running OSX - it's quite handy, because it allows to send files or even pictures directly from the camera or camera-roll to the desktop or any other folder, so an iOS-device is the tool to survive any PPC-contest)

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
So far these option for networking / file-sharing are possible:

os9 <> Win2k/WinXP: with the help "DAVE 4.0" (os9) and "DAVE-sharing" option to make os9 a file server.
(as a workaround with Win2k running as a virtual-machine, it's possible to get access to os9 from all sort of hosts of the VM)

os9 <> OSX+PPC-Macs: native FileSharing, FTP (Transmit/Fetch)

os9(client) > post-Leopard-OSX+intel-Macs (server): using the AppleFileSever.App from Leopard (see above)

VNC: os9 <> OSX: OS9vncServer/VNCthing(client) (see next posting below)

There's only one thing missing on my wishlist: connecting iOS with os9 (which is possible running Tiger/Leopard on PPC-Macs ... :rolleyes: )

os9-networking.jpg Win2k to os9.jpeg

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Next: making os9 a VNC-server ...

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/155-vine-vnc-server-3-5-for-os9

I've been successful in getting an VNC-connections from OSX to os9 by using:
- Finder/GoTo/Connect With Server: "vnc://ip-adress"
- Chicken

Vine OS9vnc Server.png

One has to be careful not to mess things up on the os9-server-machine, because screen-sharing freezes very often on the client-machine, whilst cursor movements and clicking actions are still working on the remote os9-machine.
So Chicken is the better choice since it allows fast forced reconnection through menu-command

Update: using "Timbuktu" both on os9 and virtual-Win2k offers a much more stable screen-sharing experience and a lot of other gimmicks I'm keen to explore ...
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1845-timbuktu-pro-6-0-3-os9-5-2-4-os8-
Version 8.8.5 for Lion, MountainLion and Mavericks (wish there was a Timbuktu-version for ElCap 10.11, but even latest version 8.8.5 can't be launched):
https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Network-Admin/Timbuktu-Pro.shtml

Timbuktu.png

Last edited:
Reactions: galgot and philgxxd

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Next: making os9 a VNC-server ...

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/155-vine-vnc-server-3-5-for-os9

I've been successful in getting an VNC-connections from OSX to os9 by using:
- Finder/GoTo/Connect With Server: "vnc://ip-adress"
- Chicken

View attachment 839919

One has to be careful not to mess things up on the os9-server-machine, because screen-sharing freezes very often on the client-machine, whilst cursor movements and clicking actions are still working on the remote os9-machine.
So Chicken is the better choice since it allows fast forced reconnection through menu-command

Update: using "Timbuktu" both on os9 and virtual-Win2k offers a much more stable screen-sharing experience and a lot of other gimmicks I'm keen to explore ...
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1845-timbuktu-pro-6-0-3-os9-5-2-4-os8-
Version 8.8.5 for Lion, MountainLion and Mavericks (wish there was a Timbuktu-version for ElCap 10.11, but even latest version 8.8.5 can't be launched):
https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Network-Admin/Timbuktu-Pro.shtml

View attachment 839932

Strange, I have V.8.8.5 running on an El Cap machine here :
Jack-Torrance-010619.jpg

Btw, if you run a FTP server on your OS9 (like NetPresenz for example), you can connect to it from a IOS device with any FTP clients (there are many for IOS). Didn't check if there is a FTP server available for IOS tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Strange, I have V.8.8.5 running on an El Cap machine here :
View attachment 839958

Btw, if you run a FTP server on your OS9 (like NetPresenz for example), you can connect to it from a IOS device with any FTP clients (there are many for IOS). Didn't check if there is a FTP server available for IOS tho...

Yee-haw! Terrific! YMMD!! "NetPresenz" is exactly were I was looking for ...
File-access via FTP from my intel-MBP and iOS works like a charm now! :rolleyes:
With iOS my favorite "iFiles1/2" but fails to connect - only "Goodreader" is successful. What's your favorite FTP-client for iOS?
On iOS a lot of Apps offer kind of web-sharing-service, but since it's more capable than os9 did prefer using iOS as the client and connecting point for FTP/webDAV/DropBox etc.

As for Timbuktu 8.8.5 I'm gonna give it a 2nd chance... Do you know an alternative download link?

BTW: what's that dock at the bottom of the screen of os9? Looks great!

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Yee-haw! Terrific! YMMD!! "NetPresenz" is exactly were I was looking for ...
File-access via FTP from my intel-MBP and iOS works like a charm now! :rolleyes:
With iOS my favorite "iFiles1/2" but fails to connect - only "Goodreader" is successful. What's your favorite FTP-client for iOS?
On iOS a lot of Apps offer kind of web-sharing-service, but since it's more capable than os9 did prefer using iOS as the client and connecting point for FTP/webDAV/DropBox etc.

As for Timbuktu 8.8.5 I'm gonna give it a 2nd chance... Do you know an alternative download link?

BTW: what's that dock at the bottom of the screen of os9? Looks great!

"FileBrowserGO" and "FTPManager" works for me on IOS to connect to NetPresenz.
But there are many more clients…(btw I'm always amazed by the number of lo quality crap apps when I browse the IOS store now...) I had to uncheck "passive" mode in FTPManager to make it work with this one.

Sorry, had installed Timbuktu 8.8.5 on this ElCap machine long ago, seems I had to do a trick to make it work there :
https://diskfutility.com/2015/11/installing-timbuktu-pro-8-8-5-on-el-capitan/
Forgot about it. You can try that.

Works also on HiSierra:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4407.0

And here another link for Timbuktu8.8.5 :
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6389/timbuktu-pro

That OS9 dock is A-Dock :
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/a-dock-301
Tons of skins for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Sorry, had installed Timbuktu 8.8.5 on this ElCap machine long ago, seems I had to do a trick to make it work there :
https://diskfutility.com/2015/11/installing-timbuktu-pro-8-8-5-on-el-capitan/
Forgot about it. You can try that.

Oh, great and thanks again! That trick made it work :)
Found another link, where terminal-commands were shown without line-break (for the mere mortal one's, the copy&paste terminal-people like me ...)
https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=243

Here a copy of those terminal commands for everyone else (use at your own risk - like I did too ...)

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/Contents/SharedSupport/*.app
open /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/Contents/SharedSupport/*Host*.app
open /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app

Reactions: galgot

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Glad you could make it work.

"Files HD" for IOS makes a ftp server on your device. You have to activate "Wifi transfer", and you can connect from OS9 with transmit, using port 2121.
NOTE though, that it seems to launch an completely open ftpd server . You have free access , no login/no pass, to a "Document" folder, and you can go up directories on the IOS device, though the other folders are shown empty... So if you go up a folder, you can't go back to that "Document" folder as you can't see it.
Weird.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Glad you could make it work.
"Files HD" for IOS makes a ftp server on your device. You have to activate "Wifi transfer", and you can connect from OS9 with transmit, using port 2121.
NOTE though, that it seems to launch an completely open ftpd server . You have free access , no login/no pass, to a "Document" folder, and you can go up directories on the IOS device, though the other folders are shown empty... So if you go up a folder, you can't go back to that "Document" folder as you can't see it.
Weird.
Hu, your infos about "Wifi transfer" do not sound convincingly and certainly let me stay away from making iOS an FTP-server ...
I'm really unhappy "iFiles" doesn't work with os9/NetPresenz/FTP, since "iFiles" offers the option to take or choose pictures with the iPhone and store them directly within the FTP/SFTP/AFP/webDAV/etc-connected folder. Nice option to take notes with MacBook and take photos to be directly send to the Book ready to paste into your notes. Well, the workaround using webDAV is also possible ...

Anyway, Mac OS9 is nearly fully connected now! :rolleyes:

PS: I'm really greatful about @pmac0973 mentioning the tiny and cheap "Vonets" WLAN2Ethernet brigde here #3. It's a great device to keep the Clamshell mobile.
I have two Vonets now: one preset for our home-network, the other one for my iPhone's hotspot on the go. And the blinking blue and green LEDs do look really funky ...

Clamshell.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: pmac0973 and galgot

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I tried to use OS 9 as the VNC client (VNCThing) to a SL desktop sharing server. It kinda works but some text fields aren’t responsive. Terminal just wouldn’t work. (Disable double buffering and manually refresh makes the terminal output visible, but the overall experience is not good.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.