Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
do I remember hearing a while ago about bbc's iplayer being available on aTV at some point in the future? the aTV is getting to be a very good machine for UK users if that's the case!

Gee4orce

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
whats the hell is wrong with apple? do they think were made of money????

i mean i am well paid, and i think these prices are crazy expensive.

Do you seriously think, for one minute, that the prices are Apple's doing ? The film studios own the rights to these movies, and they set the prices. Yet, they set up the ridiculous situation that a download of lower quality can cost more than buying the DVD.

Is this a crazy situation ? YES.

Is this Apple's fault ? NO.

Prometheus2000

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Are they kidding?

Paying 7 Pounds for a movie with DRM when you get most movies on DVD at that price these days and they belong to you and play anywhere?

And DVD rental? Come on, I pay 12 Pounds per month to lovefilm and get unlimited DVDs (also TV Shows), 2 at a time! No late fees, I can watch them 10 times or return it right away.

But I have to walk to the mailbox to return them :)

The price for iTunes music is ok, but video is just overpriced for what you get. Sorry.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I assume the :apple:TV is still vastly overpriced for the UK. I was hoping when the announcement came that movies were starting that Apple would reduce the price of the :apple:TV like they did for the US.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
do I remember hearing a while ago about bbc's iplayer being available on aTV at some point in the future? the aTV is getting to be a very good machine for UK users if that's the case!

Yeah that would be awesome. Hell even if they just used the iTunes rental model to implement it (provided the price was free of course) it would be great.

Bought an :apple:TV 10 days ago so I'm very pleased with this, I've just so far been filling it up with rips of Family Guy, Battlestar Galactica, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes (also bought Gavin and Stacey & Wallace and Gromit from iTunes) so movie rentals are a huge plus :D

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
Do you seriously think, for one minute, that the prices are Apple's doing ? The film studios own the rights to these movies, and they set the prices. Yet, they set up the ridiculous situation that a download of lower quality can cost more than buying the DVD.

Is this a crazy situation ? YES.

Is this Apple's fault ? NO.

Apple have to add a price to it to make a profit. So it's NOT just the film studios

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Come on, I pay 12 Pounds per month to lovefilm and get unlimited DVDs (also TV Shows), 2 at a time! No late fees, I can watch them 10 times or return it right away.

This clearly isn't meant for people like you, this is meant for people like myself who rarely rent movies but one day decide they want to see something, so either go to a rental store, download it or just don't bother (or possibly just buy it). It isn't meant for people who want a constant supply of movies.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Have they dropped the UK price of the Apple TV too? Doesn't look like they have.

I think I'll be sticking with my US iTunes gift certificates...

A new release HD movie rental £2.55 on the US store, £4.49 in the UK. Almost twice the price in the UK.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I suddenly have an interest in DRM strippers. Not that im going to pass on these movies to anyone else, but i would like to do whatever i want with my own data. Any suggestions? I see this as a good move for the UK though, i will definitely be browsing the movie selection when i get home.

Similarly I refused to use the iTunes music store until they sold them unprotected (i know it still has a little watermark with my details, but that doesnt bother me) But now I have iTunes "plus" available to me, ive on impulse downloaded a few albums from it.

Also Apples servers are a hell of a lot faster than an average torrent file.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Too bad HD costs one pound more, ($2). Good to see Apple expanding like this, but I just want a new iPhone :D

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
this is great news - finally
i think i'll probably still carry on buying dvds, but the HD price is more appealing than the price of blu-ray
and i think i'll definately make use of the rental option

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
This clearly isn't meant for people like you, this is meant for people like myself who rarely rent movies but one day decide they want to see something, so either go to a rental store, download it or just don't bother (or possibly just buy it). It isn't meant for people who want a constant supply of movies.

+1

this is definitely not for you. This model is suited to people who watch the odd rental movie. It's not about giving you a continuos stream of rentals. Maybe this is a market that apple could tap into by offering an unlimited amount of movies for a fixed monthly price. until then, stick with your current provider.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Is the 3.49 Euro rental price comparable to the $3.99 price in the US? I'm just curious since I don't know the current conversion. Is this considered a fair price in the UK?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

stustill said:
"With iTunes Movie Rentals, once a movie is rented, it starts downloading from the iTunes Store directly to iTunes or Apple TV, and users with a fast Internet connection can start viewing the movie in seconds. Customers have up to 30 days to start watching it, and once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it — or watch it multiple times." - from Apple PR

48 hours to watch the rental, is this an increase on the rental expiry times in the states?

I hope they extend it in the States as well. You are out of luck if the movie is interrupted for any reason.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

Is the 3.49 Euro rental price comparable to the $3.99 price in the US? I'm just curious since I don't know the current conversion. Is this considered a fair price in the UK?

It's £3.49 (pounds not euros).

If you compare with the likes of blockbuster then yes it's comparable. You just never want to compare US against the exchange rate.

M.

chrisblore

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Essex, UK

We still use Pounds here fortunately but just to let you know, £1 is roughly $2, making the rental prices for new releases nearly $7. As usual, we are ripped off, even if you factor in VAT at 17.5%. :mad:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'll pass because for me they're too expensive, come with too many restrictions and too slow to download. It's DVDs (and Blu-rays) for me.

Some, if not all of those problems are not directly Apple's fault, but they are Apple's problem if they want video downloads to be as successful as music downloads have been.

The prices really are obscene. You can buy DVDs for less money, and DVDs have the physical cost, the distribution cost, the shelf space cost (or postal costs if bought online) and will be at least as good quality, usually better.

'Convenience for people with fast internet connections' is the only selling point right now.

It's the future of home video distribution, I'm sure. But it's still just that - in the future - as far as I am concerned.

but the HD price is more appealing than the price of blu-ray

Yeah, but if you care about quality, the Blu-ray is going to be better. If you don't care about quality, the cheaper download or the DVD is the better option. So what's the point of it?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Looks good to me :)
One thing I did notice whilst browsing around it is that Hitman has a 12 certificate on the iTunes store, but is a 15 on DVD. Does this mean that there are different versions of movies on iTunes than the DVD release, or is it simply a case of the metadata being wrong. if it's the latter, Apple had better get it sorted pretty quickly: It's illegal in the UK to sell a movie with the wrong certificate on it...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Paying 7 Pounds for a movie with DRM when you get most movies on DVD at that price these days and they belong to you and play anywhere?

And DVD rental? Come on, I pay 12 Pounds per month to lovefilm and get unlimited DVDs (also TV Shows), 2 at a time! No late fees, I can watch them 10 times or return it right away.

But I have to walk to the mailbox to return them :)

The price for iTunes music is ok, but video is just overpriced for what you get. Sorry.

It all depends on your perspective: I only play movies on my Mac, iPod, iPhone or Apple TV. For me, a DVD is a pain because all I do with it is rip it to my iTunes library with Handbrake and more and more DVDs are coming with copy protection that makes that task harder than it should be. If I can get a ready-ripped copy for £7.00 I'm perfectly happy, and the DRM doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Craig1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
I thought this was great news until I realised you cant play rented movies through my Xbox using 360 Connect.
I didn't think I was going to need to buy AppleTV, now it looks like I need both!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.