Final Cut Studio 2+ is here!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Jul 23, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

So finally it's here!

Who's going to take the plunge and make the purchase! I will probably but I'm focusing on a new (old) mac pro!

Any way post your thoughts and impressions whether you have it or not!

Personally I'm loving all the final cut editions! The markers and speed changes look especially good!

2. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Just put my order in. Should have it Monday.

Not sure if I will install right away on the MacPro. May play a bit on the MBP before upgrading my main editing computer. Still in the middle of wedding season (main money making time) so I cannot afford any hiccups, but I'm stoked. Especially the upgrades to ProRes, Motion and Color. Exciting times for sure:)

Hurry up and order your Pro already:) LOL

Take care

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Since I'm still a student doing some part time editing work ice been waiting for the update to use my money to the best! Now they've even dropped the price!

Do leave some feedback when you've got it!

4. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

I don't see it in the features... but I wonder if time line rendering is multi-threaded?

5. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I have it. And the blu ray feature in compressor is really cool.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I will likely upgrade my copy in the next few weeks or so - the price tag is not too steep and it looks very much like it'll be worth it for me....oh yeah!

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I've gone the upgrade route ($300), but what's interesting is that this academic version is $899... if I remember correctly, this is way higher than the last. It seems that over the last 12 months apple has started a trend of decreasing their student discounts across the board.

Or am I mistaken?

EDIT: also, why hasn't this even shown up on Page 2 of macrumors? Is this that insignificant of a release?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While there is some interesting looking improvements (especially in Color) I'm a bit underwhelmed. This feels more like a solid .5 update and not a whole new version. Hopefully, we'll see another solid feature update in 2010 (kinda like FCP4 to FCP 4.5) 'cause if this is all we get until 211 I'm even less impressed. I mean, should it really take four years to go from Color 1.0 to Color 2.0?

I'm in the middle of some projects though so I won't be able to upgrade until towards the end of the year.

Lethal

9. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I agree with lethal. Im totally underwhelmed. It makes my every day job a bit easier. But it is not going to push me. There are some notable elements missing and by the time 2 years comes around again we might start thinking about fcp the same way we think about shake...(for the love of god I hope not) From what Ive seen on the videos theres no 3D video editing capabilities, no 3D text, does FCP actually import AVCHD 720p/60?...

Neonfluxx please let us know theres more to this than the videos lead us to believe.

Also why the downplayed release? Not even a whisper of a rumour.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well this is on the first page (3-4 articles down from the top as of 9PM EST).

I agree with everyone else, this upgrade isn't exactly what I hoped for over the past 2 years. I was hoping everything would be 64-bit and take advantage of Snow Leopard but I don't see ANY mention of that.

Apple's really lacking on Pro-App improvements. Pro-Apps are what attracted me to Apple in the first place; killer apps are what drives hardware.

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

this is half an update, with half the update purchase price...

while nothing ground breaking, I like a lot of the improvements and will pick this up soon. I'm hoping that this is just a stop-gap update until they make more significant changes after getting Snow Leopard going (making this release intel-only is a good first step).

12. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Can you answer some questions for us?

Are all the apps, or FCP, at least, 64-bit yet? In other words, will FCP allow you to use more than 3 GB of RAM? Will it make use of more cores than it did previously? Is clustering in compressor more usable than it used to be?

13. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I will be doing a long evaluation will be posting the results this week for everyone to see.

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...well, I ordered the upgrade this evening. I saw on dealmac.com that it can be had from Expercom for $249 (use promo code "finalcut" at the checkout) so that sweetened the deal for me....oh yeah!

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The base code for FCP has not changed so FCP 7 is not 64-bit and it can't utilize any more cores than FCP 6 can.

Lethal

16. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

:eek:WHAT!!! :mad: I just assumed it went without saying it was 64 bit...

17. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

It is Color 1.5 and not Color 2.0 .

Here are the new Versions:

Final Cut Pro 7
    Motion 4
    Soundtrack Pro 3
    Color 1.5
    Compressor 3.5
    DVD Studio Pro 4

18. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

19. norliss macrumors newbie

Comes across more as a advertisement feature by Apple rather than a review, sadly.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes. What I was saying is I hope we see another update in 2010 because this isn't that big of an update. For example, if the suite isn't updated again until 2011 then that would mean that it took Apple four years to go from v1.0 to v2.0 of Color (which is ridiculous).

Lethal

21. Chris7 macrumors 6502

This is insane. I'm using a duel core machine. If I upgraded to an 8 core, I would still get roughly the same RT performance and render times within FCP (if similar clock speed per core)?

PPro CS4 (for Windows) is 64 bit and uses all cores for RT and rendering within the app. PPro is still 32 bit for Mac, but I bet it's 64 bit in a year. I wonder what the implications are for the pro market.

22. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

you're right. It seems to me that apple did much bigger steps in developing the Logic Studio line than Final Cut Studio in the last few years...

23. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I wonder if we'll see Color 2 soon after Snow Leopard is released... From what I gather Snow Leopard will make changes to video handling that will necessitate changes to the Final Cut suite. I was expecting the most change, superficially at least, to appear in Color, making it a closer match to the rest of the suite. As this hasn't happened, it makes me wonder if those changes will come in a Snow Leopard update. (It's possible!)

Whilst the timing of this release seems odd, it should allow Apple to iron out a heap of the bugs before a second raft appear when they move over to Snow Leopard. Maybe that's better than release it September and have all issues come at once.

24. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

So with all this talk of 32 bit and hopefully a snow leopard update round corner, I'm wondering why apple didn't just wait a few months and release final cut studio 2.5 with that as we've all waited long enough. We could have waited a little longer and actually get a decent set of programs (by decent I mean a real upgrade to a set of almost outdated programs!)

25. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

Anybody know if there is a discount code for the Logic Studio upgrade?