Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamish

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Holy Woah!

I'd like to hear apples official line as to why I should not try this and give my Quad some more life!

kagamushu

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Solved. The problem was with the *upgrade* installation dvd. I borrowed a non upgrade dvd and all went fine.

Thanks

Frankx

Hello,
i have the same problem. I have an upgrade fcp and followed the steps in pacifist, now i'm getting the "wrong architecture" message.
How did you manage to fix this problem? Did you simply start the entire installation process over again, using a full copy?
thanks

Hamish

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Gackinto5h

Hey there,

I have built a place to store info on what works/what doesn't work (so far for me everything has but who knows) when installing FCS(2009) on a G5.

http://Gackinto5h.com/

It was this forum post here that made me realize this was a possibility, so if anyone else would like to be involved, let me know.

Otherwise I will continue to simply link to this and other related threads directly from the site as a way for people to see your current posts and others results/questions.

basically I just want to build a central FAQs page for anyone wondering how to get this working, and make further use of their G5's which in my opinion are still awesome machines.

Cheers

Smudo

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Yea that's the problem, but I can't fix it! 'Dynamic' and 'Low' are my only options under the 'RT Extreme' menu. 'High' and 'Medium' are grayed out. I can't imagine that my computer is not fast enough to play it back full quality with FCP7 when it worked perfectly fine under FCP6. :mad:

If anyone happens to know of a workaround for this particular issue, I'd like to know!

Hi there,
first of all: sorry for my bad english.
I have the same Problem with g5 Quad 6 gb Ram & Geforce6600

The good& better RT Settings in the Timeline are grayed out.
I look any hours around in the Final Cut Contents Tree and find a solution for this.

The Problem is: FCP7 can´t detect the correct RT Settings for the Quad ppc Cpu´s and so FCP runs unter lowest RT Quality.

The Solution is very simple.
go in the Final Cut File in the Application Folder(right click and choose Show Package Content)
Then got into the Folder Content/Resources/Non-Localized Settings/FXScripts/Enablers and open the File "RT Software Enabler.txt with TextEdit.

This File gives Final Cut the information about the differnt CPU Types.
And you can see: there is no ppc Support!

Now change in the Line 34 ( i think it was 34) cpuspeed from 2330 to 2500 (for a quad g5) and change in the same line cpu type from "cputtype_x86" to "cputtype_ppc" and from "&& x8664bit" to "&& ppc64bit" (this is on the end of the line.)

When you made this changes and save it, Final Cut think your g5 quad ppc CPU is cpuclass 22. And this is very good!

Restart Final Cut and change your RT Settings in the Timeline to highest!

BTW: i work with this option since 2 Weeks every Day with FCP7 on a ppc without Problems, everything is Working (without AVCIntra)

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Hi there,

I look any hours around in the Final Cut Contents Tree and find a solution for this.

The Problem is: FCP7 can´t detect the correct RT Settings for the Quad ppc Cpu´s and so FCP runs unter lowest RT Quality.

go in the Final Cut File in the Application Folder(right click and choose Show Package Content)
Then got into the Folder Content/Resources/Non-Localized Settings/FXScripts/Enablers and open the File "RT Software Enabler.txt with TextEdit.

Now change in the Line 34 ( i think it was 34) cpuspeed from 2330 to 2500 (for a quad g5) and change in the same line cpu type from "cputtype_x86" to "cputtype_ppc" and from "&& x8664bit" to "&& ppc64bit" (this is on the end of the line.)

When you made this changes and save it, Final Cut think your g5 quad ppc CPU is cpuclass 22. And this is very good!

BTW: i work with this option since 2 Weeks every Day with FCP7 on a ppc without Problems, everything is Working (without AVCIntra)

Brilliant stuff. Going by your example, i went to a Final Cut Pro 6 workstation and got the same RT Software Enabler text file. This has some proper official PowerPC entries, and so it might make RT work even better to use those. I'll try it on mine and report any changes.

DunginnLord

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
need help on duel 1.8 G5

Hey Guys
Good job on this work around! I was hoping you could help me figure out which line to of text to edit for a duel 1.8 G5?

At first FCP wouldn't open because I didn't meet the system requirements, however I tossed out

Contents/resources/MRCheckPro.bundle/MacOS/MRCheckPro

and everything started up with no problems!

Just need help finding the correct line to edit.

Once again, nice work!

cohenjm

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
FCP works, share & "Submit" on Compressor doesnt

Hi,
So I used Pacifist per instructions to install FCP, and then also had to follow "Smudo"'s instructions to alter the RT settings so I didn't have to render all my video (I had to edit my "rewrite" as I am running a dual 2.3 ghz, so changed to 2300 instead of 2500 - it works, but i now get a message when i boot FCP that i am running some unallowed enabler setting - anyone has ideas on that, please inform me).

so FCP 7 seems to be running fine after all that, but when i try to go to the new "Share" menu, pick an option, and click on "Submit" - nothing happens. similarly when i go to Compressor, set up an export, and click on "Submit" nothing happens. anyone have any suggestions? i was very geared up to not have to fork over 6k to get a new mac pro to run studio, but i'll be downconverting if i cant compress anything....

Best,
Jeremy:confused:

cohenjm

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
scratch that

software update, disk utility and a reboot seem to have solved that issue (though if anyone has advice on the RT Manager code, i'd be much obliged).

Thanks!

ratchy99

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Yeah i'm 'Ben Pirouet' on CreativeCow.

Like i said over there, i can confirm that Final Cut Studio 3 does indeed work on PowerPC without issue (so far), though not all models which i'll go into detail on later. Though i had to use 'Pacifist' to install it, as the main installers really did not want me to install it. At this point i'm not sure why.

Hello, could you give some further instructions on installing with Pacifist. I am receiving errors and I am assuming it is operator error :confused:, so maybe a little guidance would help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks. :D

benicf

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Is it possible to upgrade to FCS3 with the upgrade DVD

Solved. The problem was with the *upgrade* installation dvd. I borrowed a non upgrade dvd and all went fine.

Thanks

Frankx

You said that you had problems with the upgrade DVD. Does anyone could upgrade a G5 from FCS1 ou FCS2 to FCS3 with the upgrade DVD or do we absolutely need a full install to be able to run the installer on PPC ?

Thanks for your help.

FCPIdol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Upgrade DVDs work

I have installed FCS3 with original Upgrade DVDs (using Pacifist) on my G5 Dual 2.7GHz and it's working quite fine. I've got the same Problem as cohenjm
after I've made changes to the RT Software Enabler.txt file. At startup I get the same error message, although the RT settings work. I'm also looking for help, to eliminate this message, it's annoying! Nobody else get this message? Anybody has a solution?
Another problem is, that, by installing with Pacifist, there was no "Final Cut Studio System ID" file, which contains the Serial Key Information.
Usually the File is in the /library/Application Support/ProApps folder.
When I start Final Cut I'm asked to enter the Serial, it works when I type in my original bought Update Serial and the Original Final Cut Studio 1 Key. But no "Final Cut Studio System ID" file is created and when I close and reopen FCP I have to reenter both Serials over again, everytime! :mad:
Can anybody help me on that?
How did you solve this?
Do you have a "Final Cut Studio System ID" file?
You don't have to reenter the Serial everytime you start FCP?
I need some help on that!

ratchy99

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Using Pacifist

Please help, I am reading people here using Pacifist to install FCP 7 on a G5, I try to use Pacifist and I get errors like this:

The file “/var/folders/qF/qFg3O7G-E903BEa5EUriwE+++TI/-Tmp-/Pacifist Temp/331/aaf17f2739f542229b5e36c66963a0e0 Contents/6c4cf8b3c6644f38b50eb6445586d3f8 Contents/d023c7958d7c42849045130c05a8c515 Contents/408a7d3354664beda1c5740f8541623b Contents/./Templates.localized/Glass Panes.localized/Glass Panes-Open.NTSC.mov” does not exist.

I must be missing something, if someone who has successfully installed with Pacifist could give me a little help I would appreciate it.

Here is what I have done so far:
  • I open Pacifist
  • I open package
  • I the click install
  • I get multiple errors like the one noted above

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

FCPIdol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Installing with Pacifist

I got these error messages, too, at first. This happenend because I did not load all of the DVDs with Pacifist (like the Audio Content DVDs)
I just clicked continue and could install Final Cut anyway. You don't neccessarily need those files like "Glass Panes-Open.NTSC.mov"
When you load all of the FCS DVDs with Pacifist, these messages should't appear anymore. At least it worked for me.

FCPIdol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Installing without Pacifist

I figured out a new workaround to install with the original installer.
I opened the file "FinalCutStudio.dist" which is located on the Install DVD:
Installer/FinalCutStudio.mpkg/Contents/
I edited this file with Xcode.app (I have Apple Developer Tools installed)
and just removed the lines where it says Intel..., saved and burned a new Install DVD.
Now there's no error message anymore and you can use the installer as supposed!
Works perfectly and now I don't have to reenter my Serial everytime I restart :)

ratchy99

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
This didn't work for me

Hi there,

I finally installed FCP by just clicking through ALL the pop-ups (if only I could have waited to read FCPIdols new tip.. oh well, it is installed now anyways... ;) )

I edited the file as noted above but high & medium are still grayed out for me. My machine is a G5 1.85 Dual - maybe that makes a difference. ANy ideas? :confused:

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
and just removed the lines where it says Intel..., saved and burned a new Install DVD.
Works perfectly and now I don't have to reenter my Serial everytime I restart :)

I was having the Serial number problem , so gave up with it , I will try this method...

llessur

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009

I tried this and got a java script error. I'm a newbie, could you be a little more detailed on "removing lines" is it just the word "Intel" the entire line, the brackets on previous and following lines, any help would be appreciated.

Hamish

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
I tried this and got a java script error. I'm a newbie, could you be a little more detailed on "removing lines" is it just the word "Intel" the entire line, the brackets on previous and following lines, any help would be appreciated.

I had success literally removing the 2 lines that mention intel entirely.

I will post some detailed instructions/faqs of what I have personally tested and notes from this and other forum threads soon at Gackinto5h.com

The ability to create a proper installer instead of using pacifist is genius, and I think problems with RT settings may depend a little on your GFX card as well as the exact G5 model you have but by editing the txt file as mentioned above I have managed to get HD running at full RT settings and have had no problems so far using every feature listed on the TIN for FCS 2009

I have a quad core with 4GB of ram and it's going to live a little longer...

llessur

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
I must not be that bright, I've now made four coasters. I get all the way to the actual install process and during the configuring install it tells me "install failed" "the installer could not extract files from the package for final cut studio. contact the software manufacture for assistance."

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hamish

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
I must not be that bright, I've now made four coasters. I get all the way to the actual install process and during the configuring install it tells me "install failed" "the installer could not extract files from the package for final cut studio. contact the software manufacture for assistance."

well Burning DVD's unesseserily would be the first thing you are doing wrong...
why not just create the new DMG and run the install from there.

FCPIdol

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009

I had that Problem, too, at first.
So I used the FCS Remover and first removed FCP, Color, Compressor, Cinema Tools, Qmaster and the Shared Files (All the things of the First Install DVD). Then I installed again and I unchecked in the Installer all the files that have to do with Motion, DVD Studio Pro or Soundtrack Pro (all on the other Install DVDs) and then it worked.

Hope that'll work for you as well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.