Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chay

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
No Blue-ray

This is a very exciting forum. I could install FCS on my G5 (dual 1.8 GHz), and Final Cut runs ok - BUT when I want to share some edited HDV footage, the share menu has no Blu-Ray option. It's not greyed out - it's not existing.

Did anybody find a workaround for this problem? Or do I have to reinstall everything?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

kmaultsby

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2006
It may run but what about AVCHD

I have just read this today because I wanted to upgrade also but the key thing I did not see AVCHD. I here that with the G5 machines AVCHD will run really slow with out the new more powerful Intel Mac's. Is that true?:cool:

andi*pandi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
is there any other solution to solve the "have to input registration every time you launch" issue, other than making a new dmg? I'm not so sure I can do that.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
I have just read this today because I wanted to upgrade also but the key thing I did not see AVCHD. I here that with the G5 machines AVCHD will run really slow with out the new more powerful Intel Mac's. Is that true?:cool:

I believe that Apple removed PPC support because the newer CPU intensive editing features were simply to much for older machines to handle. They may have written the apps in UB as a hidden feature for their top end customers still hanging on to their G5s, but they didn't market it as such because buying a new machine would be a much better option performance wise.

RHCNYC

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Installed FCS 3 on:
Mac Dual 2.5 G5 (not a Quad Core)
Leopard 10.5.8
4G RAM

Edited the line in the "RT Software Enabler.txt", which originally was:

else if (cpucount > 1 && cpuspeed >= 2330 && cputype == cputtype_x86 && !(ispowerbook || ismini) && x8664bit)

changed to:

else if (cpucount > 1 && cpuspeed >= 2500 && cputype == cputtype_ppc && !(ispowerbook || ismini) && ppc64bit)

*(my changes made in BOLD)

RT seems to work fine. Video looking good so far.
Haven't done extensive testing, but otherwise working fine, so far.

Cheers

RHCNYC

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Bit of an update:

Some of the Video Filters/Effects seem to cause some strange artifacts, in my particular case, in the lower right-hand corner.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Video7105

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Indeed FCS Studio 3 does run on a Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz. I have 8 GB of RAM and a video card with 256MB of VRAM, 2TB. I have been using it now for about 6 weeks. It actually runs better then FCS 2 did on my G5. In the past, I couldn’t mirror on desktop on playback and god help if you wanted to run the Waveform Monitor in a Current Frame mode. All applications work (FCP 7, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Cinema Tool, Compressor, etc.).

Now I can even run the mirror on desktop on playback and run the Waveform Monitor and Audio Mixer all at once live. I send all my output out to an AJA IO LA and a component switcher in the rack.

I think the reason not many are talking about this is because we are afraid Apple will close the door to load it.

You don’t have to use Pacifcist to load it either. The first update 7.0.1 was seen and loaded from Software Update, just like it is suppose too.

jtfromnyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Santa Monica, CA & NYC, NY
FCS 3 on PPC Quad plus Blackmagic HD Extreme card?

Indeed FCS Studio 3 does run on a Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz. I have 8 GB of RAM and a video card with 256MB of VRAM, 2TB. I have been using it now for about 6 weeks. It actually runs better then FCS 2 did on my G5. In the past, I couldn’t mirror on desktop on playback and god help if you wanted to run the Waveform Monitor in a Current Frame mode. All applications work (FCP 7, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Cinema Tool, Compressor, etc.).

Now I can even run the mirror on desktop on playback and run the Waveform Monitor and Audio Mixer all at once live. I send all my output out to an AJA IO LA and a component switcher in the rack.

I think the reason not many are talking about this is because we are afraid Apple will close the door to load it.

You don’t have to use Pacifcist to load it either. The first update 7.0.1 was seen and loaded from Software Update, just like it is suppose too.

What version of FCS did you have running when Software Update brought you up to 7? If I understand you correctly, you are saying you did NOT have to buy an upgrade or new installer for FCS 3 from your previous FCS 2 version? That sounds unlikely but maybe I misunderstand... and if so then hey, pretty sweet! More to the point for me though, I'm curious what kind of video card you are using?

I'm definitely wondering if any of you video pro guys on this site are using a 'hack-installed' FCS 3 with their PPC G5 Duals or Quads and a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme card? I haven't heard much in this thread about using the PPCs with pro-level vid cards like IO or Blackmagic. Anyone doing this successfully? Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great info so far!!

jtfromnyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Santa Monica, CA & NYC, NY
FCS3 Working for me too... w/some issues.

Thanks "Smudo" and "RHCNYC" for the RT Enabler mods! Made those changes for my G5 Quad 2.5, and the greyed out RT disappeared... although I do get that annoying text box at FCP startup about unsupported RT too, I feel kinda 'so what?' about it.. Minor issue, but if anyone has a fix I'd be very grateful to have it.

Also have do more testing with my Blackmagic HD Extreme card to see if there's any issues, but so far it seems fine.. Will report if anything.

Anyone use the iChat Theater with their PPC yet? Very curious about this AMAZINGLY COOL feature, but I just recently sold my iSight webcam and have yet to replace it.

cheers

AlfistaSK

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
FCS 3 Installer

Right some more details for you's:

I managed to install the software using the 'Pacifist' app to bypass the official Apple installer software and therefore the System Requirement check and the software (so far) works without issue. I'm not even hacking the software itself, The software itself is completely untouched. This is not like what some people do with FCP6 and hack the program itself to make it work with machines that don't have Quartz Extreme or what have you. This version of FCS3 was clearly designed to work on PowerPC machines, at least to some extent. From what i'm observing, it looks as though the Intel only decision was made right at the last minute.

When i loaded FCP7 on an older 1.9ghz iMac G5 machine to test it, it said FCP required a 2ghz G5 processor, and this box was new, it didn't look like the box you got on FCP6 when you were missing a required hardware feature. So FCP7 clearly is designed to work on a G5 processor. FCP6 needed a 1.25ghz G4 Processor. So it's not as if it's an old requirement stamp that has been left in the programming.

As you'll see from these pictures below, new features that i've tried seem to work too. Admittedly i haven't tried every single feature, but so far i've had nothing but success. Even Motion 4 which is very processor and GPU heavy actually works faster than Motion 3 did. I checked all the components and apps that installed with the software and they are all 'Universal', with the exception of AVC-Intra support which is an 'Intel' only build.

Some screenshots here:

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerpcmotion.jpg - The new features of Motion like Reflections, shadows, framing camera support and depth of field all work perfectly, and on our G5 PowerMacs with the 256mb Nvidia GPUs work smoothly and efficiently.

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerpcfcp.jpg - FCP7 as you can see loads fine, new features like the new speed tools work without problems. I outputted the FCP timeline display via a Formac box to a studio monitor, all with no issues.

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerPCSTP.jpg - New features in Soundtrack Pro work very well too.

So what doesn't work? I'm not stupid as to think that i KNOW that everything is going to work, but from the testing i did today everything seems to work very well.

If you're like me and have 30 Power Mac G5 DP2.5ghz machines at work which would be ridiculously expensive to replace AND some Intels which you're going to buy FCS3 for anyway, you might as well at least TRY and get it to work on the machines. If it produces problems at a later date then fine, replace them. Having a dual economy of FCP6 and FCP7 would be useless for us, so if there's a possibility of FCP7 working on PowerPC, then i'm taking it! Better that than a £50k+ hardware spend thank you!

Hi,

is posible to give some link with the changed FCS 3 Installer that i can isnstall it too on PowerMac Dual G5 - 2,5GHz.

Thanks.

threat

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
cant see the file

Originally Posted by FCPIdol
I figured out a new workaround to install with the original installer.
I opened the file "FinalCutStudio.dist" which is located on the Install DVD:
Installer/FinalCutStudio.mpkg/Contents/
I edited this file with Xcode.app (I have Apple Developer Tools installed)
and just removed the lines where it says Intel..., saved and burned a new Install DVD.
Now there's no error message anymore and you can use the installer as supposed!
Works perfectly and now I don't have to reenter my Serial everytime I restart

I have tried looking into the entire package for any file with an extension ".dist". The only files i can see through the entire content of the package are files anding in .pkg or some other stuff. Cant find the file that i have to edit with xcode.app. Also with a rightclick i cant see the "show package contents" where i could search for it. Using pacifist will not let me see that file. Where is that file i need to edit two lines inside to make it work on my G5 Quad?

Please help

Video7105

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
No jtfromnyc.
Am not saying that........ Am saying after loading 7.0, Software Update saw the &.0 just fine and upgraded it to 7.0.1 ................ and after a few month, the whole suite is running well on the PPC.

Dave

Tel Fraser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Issues with install of Final Cut Studio 3

I USED pacifist to install onto a G5 7,3 2.0 dual with 4gig ram - it took hours to install - so many fake errors my thumb is weak - Again I also changed the RT settings even though mine wer'nt greyed out however I put 2 for the number of cpus I also have the pop up issue plus randomly have to re enter my serial even after updating - There was an issue with the Compressor submit button being greyed out but this was solved by the upgrade - havent used the other components yet so can't say if they're all working plus Compressor is always a problem (Media encoder in Premiere is more stable and less hassle). I went to get rid of the reg nag but found the first file line I needed to paste from was not there which is probably why the serial issue exists - My serial form has only popped up once and I re entered the serial and it was fine - I'm going to count the number of times before it, if it does, requests the serial again, as I have not been reg nagged yet. Any assistance in the serial request situation would be appreciated. Its such a pity Final Cut Studio 3 did not address the render sistuation it is the one area that Premiere is more advanced.

Tel Fraser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Don't use Pacifist to install Final Cut Studio 3

If you have installed Final Cut Studio 3 with Pacifist you are no doubt having some problems - Having to re enter the serial every time you reboot plus other files are missing - the issue with the serial is because a daemon launcher is missing so the file doesn't get transferred. The use of Xcode as stated earlier will sort this out - however the wiping of the two lines is not the way to go. I suggest wiping from the word "if" to the backwards facing bracket plus then change the "Welcome.rtf to "This version of Final Cut Studio will run natively on ppc-based computers".
Now then before you can use Xcode you will have to make the "FinalCutStudio.mpkg writeable so you can open the contents to get to the files. Good luck with that.plus remember AVC-Intra support is native "Intel" though that doesn't really cause any hassle
The reason I haven't detailed how to make the files writable is that its quite easy plus the whole thing was a challenge which I've solved ,and with the hints given, so should the legal owners of the software also be able to

danfresh36

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
need help installing FCS 3 with pacifist

Hello,

I am hoping to reiterate the steps involved installing studio 3 with pacifist. I have a dual core 2 ghz power pc with 2.5 gb ram running os 10.4. I tried installing final cut studio 3 with pacifist and the installation seemed to go ok...

I opened the final cut package through pacifist and installed each package accordingly. After this, final cut will not open at all, or any of the final cut studio programs. They pop up in the dock for one second then just disappear and that is it.

Am I missing steps during the installation process? I haven't used pacifist before so i am not sure if I am doing anything wrong, or right for that matter.

thanks for the help, everyone on here is doing amazingly helpful work and I wish a could contribute more than beginner questions.

thanks
dan

Tel Fraser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
don't use Pacifist

I again make the point don't use pacifist it doesn't install all the needed files. Download Final Cut Remover and start again - you need to download Xcode from Apple - free download and go from there

Tel Fraser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
I believe that Apple removed PPC support because the newer CPU intensive editing features were simply to much for older machines to handle. They may have written the apps in UB as a hidden feature for their top end customers still hanging on to their G5s, but they didn't market it as such because buying a new machine would be a much better option performance wise.
Really I think it was just a lot easier to make the updates and recompile as a universal - Macs top end customers would've updated their machines to Intel already and regarding the new cpu intensive editing features they arn't that intensive my systems both ppc are handling them ok. All I had to do was edit two lines of code alter the Rt file and Im running fine. Final Cut Studio 4 will be a different story however but then Premiere is coming on leaps and bounds and the rendering situation is much better

danfresh36

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
unable to lauch final cut after using pacifist

Hello,

I have just done a fresh install of final cut studio 3 with pacifist. However, the program will not launch after all packages have been installed. I receive an error message after final cut unexpectantly quits:

Process: Final Cut Pro [794]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCutPro
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: FCPApp-906181654~22
Code Type: PPC (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [130]

Interval Since Last Report: 142 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2010-02-27 16:56:56.632 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: F2735926-CF71-49A6-9CAF-CBE82AF568D0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000008fe0105c
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _kPrivateTundraFileWritingOptionsKey_DontValidateTimeCodeWhenWriting
Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/MIO.framework/Versions/A/MIO
Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate

Does anyone have any ideas?
thanks for the help and all advice in this thread.
dan

danfresh36

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
RT enabler settings for dual core 2.0 ghz ppc

Smudo or RHNYC or anybody dealing w/ rt enabler settings, can anyone give me the necessary changes to the text file for a 2 Ghz PPC?

thanks

Tel Fraser

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Smudo or RHNYC or anybody dealing w/ rt enabler settings, can anyone give me the necessary changes to the text file for a 2 Ghz PPC?

thanks
try this:
else if (cpucount > 1 && cpuspeed >= 2330 && cputype == cputtype_x86 && !(ispowerbook || ismini) && x8664bit)

changed to:

else if (cpucount > 2 && cpuspeed >= 2000 && cputype == cputtype_ppc && !(ispowerbook || ismini) && ppc64bit)

I actually just imported the Final Cut 2 file and replaced the content - not the header stuff - I don't think its possible to get rid of the nag screen after you change the file - but iM HAPPY TO BE WRONG - YOU DIDN'T SAY IF IT WAS DUAL OR NOT IF IT ISN'T CHANGE cpucount to 1

wesmcc

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
ppc dual 2GHz RT Problems

thanks

I am trying to fix the Render problems associated with running on a G5 with a Dual 2GHz PowerPC. The previous fix didn't work for me. Any suggestions? I didn't quite understand taking the text from FCP 6. Should that work?

Thanks for the help.

wesmcc

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
my solution. . . thus far

I opened up the RT Software Enabler from FCP 6 and copied everything after float cpuclass until end if.

I deleted everything after "float cpuclass" through "end if" on the FCP7 RT Software Enabler and pasted in the copied information from the FCP6 file, and it seems to be working thus far; however, it requires rendering when any effects are added, which is not the case in my other systems that have intel processors. Is there a better way to do this that gives higher performance?

E2005

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
Problem with launching Final Cut Studio Installer

If you have installed Final Cut Studio 3 with Pacifist you are no doubt having some problems - Having to re enter the serial every time you reboot plus other files are missing - the issue with the serial is because a daemon launcher is missing so the file doesn't get transferred. The use of Xcode as stated earlier will sort this out - however the wiping of the two lines is not the way to go. I suggest wiping from the word "if" to the backwards facing bracket plus then change the "Welcome.rtf to "This version of Final Cut Studio will run natively on ppc-based computers".
Now then before you can use Xcode you will have to make the "FinalCutStudio.mpkg writeable so you can open the contents to get to the files. Good luck with that.plus remember AVC-Intra support is native "Intel" though that doesn't really cause any hassle
The reason I haven't detailed how to make the files writable is that its quite easy plus the whole thing was a challenge which I've solved ,and with the hints given, so should the legal owners of the software also be able to

I've follow these steps above and create a new image, but when launching it, I get a window popping up saying "The document “FinalCutStudio.mpkg” could not be opened." Has anyone encounter this problem? Do I have to use Pacifist to install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.