Final Cut Updates in March or April? Xserve Controversy and Jobs on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

French site Hardmac has been keeping its ear to the ground when it comes to Apple's Final Cut video processing suites, noting today that it has heard that revised versions of the company's Final Cut offerings are likely to debut in March or early April. The report reiterates previous claims that the company may not be able to deliver all of the improvements hoped for by professional-level users, although the updates are still reported to be "substantial".
    According to today's report, Apple has separate versions of Final Cut running as betas for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, with some features claimed to be Lion-only due to changes to QuickTime in the forthcoming operating system update. Mac OS X Lion is not scheduled to launch, however, until "summer" 2011.

Last year, following concerns over rumors that Apple will be focusing the next version of Final Cut more on mainstream users than professional-level users, both Steve Jobs and Apple sought to reassure customers that the next version will be "awesome" and satisfy professional users.

Hardmac also weighs in on a couple of other topics in today's report: Xserve and Blu-ray. According to the report's sources, there continues to be substantial turmoil over the imminent discontinuation of Apple's rackmountable server line due to poor sales. A number of high-profile users, including Apple director and former Genentech chairman Art Levinson, have reportedly complained about the discontinuation, and while Hardmac indicates that "this storm is maybe not over", it is unclear if Apple is contemplating some alternative to canceling the Xserve line.

With regards to Blu-ray, sources indicate that Jobs still considers the technology to be a "bag of hurt", with DRM restrictions and licensing issues that make the format unattractive. According to the report, Jobs noted during a recent internal meeting that he is "ashamed" that Apple's name is associated with the Blu-ray format through its position as a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association's board of directors, a role it has held since 2005.

Article Link: Final Cut Updates in March or April? Xserve Controversy and Jobs on Blu-ray

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

every time i want to get rid of my PS3 and run the numbers in my head i always change my mind when i realize that I'll have to turn my computer on just to watch a movie. and it makes me laugh at the pitiful file sizes of iTunes HD movies

3. drcory macrumors newbie

Great news! FC needs an update to keep pace with the Adobe products for sure

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I really want to have an opinion on this but the details are so thin that it's really difficult to do so.

Also, I'm keenly aware that some "professionals" complain when anything consumerish touches their programs. See Aperture 3 and the fringe whining about how they added 'Faces' to it. Guess what, you don't have to use 'Faces' in Aperture if you don't want to. Get over yourself.

So when I hear that Final Cut "might not be as professional" I always wonder if it's that kind of complaining. The attitude of "well they added 20 pro features, but the 2 new consumer features really bug me."

But who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

I dont expect bluray to ever come to mac so this is really not a surprise. If people didn't want Xserve to be discontinued they should have purchased more of them I guess

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jobs just needs to get over it and include Blu-Ray.

7. ILMSTMF macrumors newbie

Hopefully we don't get Final Cut Prosumer come the Spring.

Furthermore..."ashamed" to be associated with Blu-Ray? Jobs is committing a sin by going against it. The medium, I think, is great. No doubt, it's tricky to produce but worth the effort. Am I wrong?

8. KindredMAC macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

It's simple. People WANT HD content. iTunes does not have the most attractive pricing for such content when you do the comparison of a downloadable file versus an actual disc-in-hand.

If Apple is not going to lower the prices of the downloadable HD content to sub-$10 then allow Blu-Ray playback and burning natively.

It's also funny that Jobs has issues with DRM on BDR... Have you tried to play a movie you bought on iTunes on a different device at all? Or even try to burn it to a DVD????

9. studiomusic macrumors regular

studiomusic

Final Cut Express?

NAB is in April... should be out the week before.

10. ILMSTMF macrumors newbie

Precisely.

Ex. FCP 7 brought the Share feature. It's there, it's convenient (for others), I don't use it. But you better believe I use the latest time segmenting feature and ProsRes LT in my day-to-day.

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I still don't understand why putting a Blu-Ray drive in Macs is such a problem for Jobs. No one's asking him to sell the movies in iTunes - just provide a simple drive.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

For the love of God - COCOA PLEASE

Leave Carbon in the dustbin of history. If Adobe can do it, then so can Apple.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

it's not the drive, you have to add DRM to the OS. it's probably a big deal since a lot of OS X is open source and it's against the BD consortium's rules to release the source code for the DRM

14. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I bet Jobs loves when people buy Blurays of Toy Story 3.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think this'll finally be the year. It's why the last Final Cut update was so lackluster. They weren't finished with the new re-write so they just threw up a few new features in the old version to buy themselves another year.

If they weren't doing a re-write than the last update would've been more substantial, I think.

16. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I suspect Blu-ray's lack of support on Apple to be a certain pain with professionals, but in actuality with the average consumer it is nothing worthy of any distress.

In 4 or 5 years Blu-ray will probably be relegated to the heap along with DVDs. Though I don't believe they will go quite as swiftly or decisively as VHS tapes, they will be outmoded by a new, better format that doesn't require motors, lights, or rubber bands to make it work.

17. dstankus macrumors member

Re: Xserve

I'm confused; they discontinue the product because very few people are buying it, so who's creating the "turmoil" over the issue?

Is it just a very vocal minority, or is there something else I'm missing...?

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree, it is great. People whine about optical media, but it's far more efficient and practical to have blu-ray than to download and store 25-50GB movie files for the full HD resolution and sound. The iTunes HD stuff is pretty weak IMO. That said, I don't feel blu-ray drives would be necessary in a lot of the computers, particularly the laptops.

19. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

This is what happens when a company want support another technology because of rivalry. We all know Jobs won't support Blu-Ray to promote iTunes. Well, I'm sorry Steve but iTunes does not offer 1080P and HD Audio. Sure some people may not need it, but it is a huge selling point and people are buying Blu-Rays.

Most of the time, Blu-rays can be had for cheaper than iTunes and it comes with a digital copy and dvd.

20. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

21. jp102235 macrumors regular

keep in mind that blu-ray's drm is damn near close to a rootkit. Some blu-rays phone home and who knows what kind of data is being sent back. It is kind of spooky.
    j

22. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

Steve Jobs is so full of ****, it's unbelievable. BluRay is a "bag of hurt" because of its DRM restrictions? Then what are Apple's iGadgets and the DRM-infested iTunes (movie) content that he is selling? Mountains of hurt?

I've never experienced more hurtful DRM crap than the stuff that Apple is selling. At the moment, there are only two companies on the market that sell DRMed product that don't make me feel abused and cheated: Amazon with their Kindle store and Valve with their Steam store.

In my experience, Apple is the most abusive company when it comes to DRM, so maybe His Steveness should just shut the **** up. The only reason why he does not want to sell Macs with BluRay players is that he is afraid that this would cut into their iTunes sales. Who needs expensive, DRM-infested and inferior quality movie downloads when you can have better quality on a physical medium for the same price? Right: Nobody. That's why you won't ever see a Mac with a BluRay drive.

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

so how am i supposed to watch movies at home?

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

All I want is for Apple to provide native AVCHD support, instead of requiring transcoding into Apple Intermediate Codec (tantamount to an admission of failure, in this age of HD camcorders).

I recently recorded a 1.5 hour church Christmas show on a new camera I just bought, which records AVCHD video on SD cards. I was asked by a friend to burn a DVD of the show for her grandfather to watch. No fancy editing, just pull the footage off the camera, trim the beginning and end, burn to DVD.

On my (granted, a bit old) 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP:

I plugged the card into the computer, opened iMovie. Selected the low-resolution import (half of the 1080p resolution). The import took about 2 hours (e.g. almost real time). The AIC file it generated took about 3 times the space as the original (25 gigs).

Only then was I able to use iMovie to trim the ends, but then I had to export the project to the Media Library at the "large" setting --this took about 3 hours -- and only then was I finally able to use this video in an iDVD project.

Meanwhile, a friend at the church wanted a copy of my footage, so I gave him the memory card. He simply opened up the card in his Windows 7 computer, navigated to the .MTS video files, and copied them onto his hard drive. This took about 10 minutes. He then opened up Premiere, dragged one of the .MTS files onto the timeline, and was able to immediately scrub the timeline and view the footage I'd shot.

Imagine that. Simply copying the original file and opening it, instead of spending hours importing/transcoding and taking up gobs more disk space too.

As a result I am seriously considering dual-booting Windows 7 on my MBP so I can import and edit AVCHD video clips (by copying the .MTS files, not by importing into iMovie libraries in AIC).

Consider that I switched to Apple computers over 7 years ago because of how deftly they handled DV video over Firewire compared to their PC counterparts. I really feel the tables have been turned here. I really hope to see some improvement -- and soon!

25. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The DRM requirements for Blu-ray are atrocious. That's why if you're a PC power user you probably own Slysoft's AnyDVD HD.

Microsoft had to go as far as to implement a system-wide DRM protection scheme for both audio and video outputs in Windows Vista and 7.

It's one thing if Apple could get away with creating a Blu-ray player application that meets the DRM standards. It's another if they have to implement a content protection system for Mac OS X.

At least with FairPlay, it's confined to QuickTime.