Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 16.04.01.png
You can see "THEVAULT" share here

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 11.46.07.png
Double-clicking it in Finder gives this error , and you cannot see the contents of the share.

But if I navigate to /Volumes/THEVAULT in Finder or in a bash shell, it works fine
Finder
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 11.54.46.png

Terminal
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 16.08.32.png

Any idea why I cannot click on the Synology share and navigate the contents?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I was having that "the original item can't be found" error for years when clicking the finder entry for a Synology NAS share. I finally decided to do something about it. After much research I decided to switch over from connection type AFP to SMB (Samba). I have read that AFP as a connection type is being phased out but I don't know that for sure. Anyway it was always dead slow, for me, and kept erroring-out just like yours is doing.

If you decide to go the SMB route there are some discreet things you have to do to get the Samba connection working well. This includes turning off "signing" (encryption of the link conversation) on both sides, because it makes things way too slow, and after all it's my internal LAN, with no untrusted devices connecting.

Unfortunately I did not document each step of the way as I bumbled through it but the highlights were:

First I made sure I had a good backup.

Using the NAS's DSM config, turned off AFP and made sure SMB was already enabled (it was), and SMB signing was turned off. To do this go to to DSM > Control Panel > File Services. Turned off samba signing using the Advanced Settings button in the SMB area, set Transport encryption mode to Disabled.

On the mac, used terminal to disable signing as a default for samba connections, command is:
printf "[default]\nsigning_required=no\n" | sudo tee /etc/nsmb.conf >/dev/null

Rebooted the mac a couple of times at various points, and also relaunched finder a couple of times.
On the mac, reselected the Time Machine backup drive (the NAS share), which looks just like the old one.

I have to say I'm really glad I did this, it's now very fast, responding almost like a local drive. Samba connections appear as type "CIFS" in DSM > Main Menu > Resource Monitor > Connected Users. Time Machine backups are all still there and work fine on both save & restore.

The "original item can't be found" message has not reappeared since I did this, about three weeks ago, on Sierra. Since then I've moved to High Sierra with no issues. Hardware is MBP mid-2012

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.