Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Sounds like a bunch of angry birds arguing who stole their dinner.

I remember in the years before the iPhone there were some credible Ericsson and HTC smartphones but Nokia were already out of the race with nothing new in the pipeline.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Paper... Paper... Rings a bell... what was it?

Oh! Right, that was the stuff we wiped our asses with back before the invention of the three sea shells. Gotcha.

Oh, that wasn't the paper the Finny was talking about? Yeah, well, back in the dark ages of the 1900's people used to write on the toilet paper, or a tougher version, with pens and inks and before that something called a lee-ed penis-sil or something. I've heard of that. But why would he think we would want to go back to wasting trees just so he can wipe his ass?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Careful there Mr. Prime Minister. Apple can literally buy your country and then fire you.
:eek::cool::rolleyes:

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Any mention of Google? Apple is just one company that got into phones, many others got in too, in large part because of Google. Google was already public about getting into phones before Apple announced theirs, even if Apple didn't, they were going in, just with a Blackberry clone.

If just one or two companies is such a major base for a country's economic might, then that was an economic disaster just waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It's times like this when I remember a former President who had "The Buck Stops Here" on his desk in the Oval Office. This Finnish idiot is clearly unwilling to take ownership of the situation and instead blames others for that country's lack of foresight and reckless dependency on only a few major players.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
So I thought the Finnish PM must of been saying it in jest, but I just saw the original video on MSNBC, and if he is kidding, something is being lost in his speaking a non-native language, because he sounded deadly serious to me.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Any mention of Google? Apple is just one company that got into phones, many others got in too, in large part because of Google.

If just one or two companies is such a major base for a country's economic might, then that was an economic disaster just waiting to happen.

Google/Android is also not responsible for this.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I'm not sure he's truly "blaming" Apple in the bitter sense of the word. He might be making a couple quips, but I think he's admitting reality, and giving a lot of credit to Apple. After all, Apple has helped revolutionize the world, so to act like Apple really had no effect is also a farce.

MR is playing around in Fox's 'no spin zone' on this one... tisk tisk, MR.

That's how I read it, too - I didn't hear any 'blame' in Apple's direction. It's a statement of reality that Apple's products have helped lead the way away from technologies which Finland used to rely on for exports.

That's not a slur at Apple or anything even close to it. He's just commenting on why he thinks their exports have fallen. This is a good comment; it shows that he's on-the-ball and that he recognises Finland's need to modernise their economy.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Nokia made great phones, but their reliance on an outdated OS was holding them back. If they switched from Symbian to Android around 2009/2010 they might still be around the 3rd or 4th largest mobile company.

The Trojan horse MS employed with Elop made things worse by using one of the most unpopular mobile operating systems.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I'm not sure he's truly "blaming" Apple in the bitter sense of the word. He might be making a couple quips, but I think he's admitting reality, and giving a lot of credit to Apple. After all, Apple has helped revolutionize the world, so to act like Apple really had no effect is also a farce.

Right, because MR (or Fox) should decide what information to pass along to us for us to consume.
Please, MR and others... give me both (or all) sides of a story. I am capable of deciding on my own if it has merit! :p

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
This is what happens when a nation's economy isn't diversified. Usually you see this in South America and Africa. The economy is based on precious metals/diamonds or more common metals like copper. The trouble is that regular fluctuations in price can crash an economy. You would think a country like Finland would know better.

This also reminds me of when the iPhone was relatively new and someone told the CEO that Apple had sold a million units. He smugly dismissed it, saying they had sold that many since the previous week. It's an example of why you don't dismiss the competition.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I feel sorry for people in Finland. I would be very sad if our politicians said something like this...

Nokia has no one to blame, but themselves.

Don't bother.

Those of us finns who really knew what was going on within Nokia knew that this would eventually happen. I myself jumped out of the company in 2002 when I realised the management back then did not really care about innovation anymore.

Just a simple thing; I demonstrated an Apple PowerBook G4 coupled with Ericsson t68i cell phone, paired via BlueTooth, sending contact data over wirelessly -- asking the top Nokia chiefs why this can't be done? The answer: none of this was invented here. We have the Nokia PC Suite, use that and it'll work. Then I asked how would I install that software onto this Apple laptop... The answer: "We have this Nokia PC Suite, use that and it'll work".

Very arrogant. I was so ashamed to be a finn that day.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Hmmmm.....
Maybe I misunderstand his DIRECT QUOTE of: "Steve Jobs took our jobs"... sounds like a bitter thing to say about a dead man. I would NOT compare this to FOX... more like calling a duck a duck.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
apple_oct_2014_invite_large.jpg

Enough said about Nokia.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
That was excactly his point, and he also feels that his country's economy needs to be more diversified. Not withstanding the misinterpretation by the author of this MR article, there was not a shred of "blame" in the Prime Minister's comments.

Thank you! That makes two of us who actually bothered clicking the link and listening to the Finnish PM deliver his comments. He was clearly jabbing Finnish industry.

Jeez. Why does everyone here act all accused-and-paranoid without even getting the facts straight? It's like a knee-jerk denial. It's not healthy.

And whoever wrote that MR article should be ashamed. This place is sliding.

iHEARTcartoons

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
San Diego
Ironic, I was cleaning out some old stuff last night and found my old Nokia. Even though it's been sitting for 8-9 years, it fired right up!

It's now in the electronic recycle bin :( RIP

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I think some of the posters in this forum need to step back and take a breath. I don't think that the PM was bitterly blaming Apple for their ills. I think he was acknowledging that Apple caught them flat footed, and was a major disrupter in both of their primary industries.

On the paper front, I am sooo glad. It's about time we started really embracing a more paperless society, and quit chopping down trees needlessly.

On the Nokia side, I hope for their sake that they can become relevant again. Personally, I've always disliked Nokia phones. Always thought they were over sold pieces of junk, with poor UI designs back in the feature phone days. Never understood why they did so well when I believe that Motorola largely outclassed them.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Diversity. It was a mistake to be so highly concentrated in a few things to begin with.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Easy to blame Jobs, since saying "Steve Ballmer took our ballmers" just wouldn't have made much sense.

----------

Apple should just buy Finland to make safari snappier but Steve would never allowed this. :apple:

Doomed! :mad:

(is that all of them?) :D

You forgot to mention the PowerBook G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.