Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Customers who ordered one of the new 2018 MacBook Pro models that Apple released this morning are starting to see shipment notifications with the first deliveries of stock configurations slated for tomorrow.

As noted by 9to5Mac, customers have had their cards charged, and orders started shifting to preparing for shipment earlier today before some new machines were sent out by Apple.

macbookproshipping-800x283.jpg

Apple's delivery estimates when placing an order suggest the new 2018 MacBook Pro models won't deliver until July 16 at the earliest, which is next Monday, but some customers will be getting deliveries early.

Custom configurations for both 13 and 15-inch machines will not be arriving until next week, however, with build-to-order machines listing delivery dates between July 19 and July 23 for the most part.

In-store pickup for stock machines is not yet available, but Apple says the new models will be available in retail stores "later this week."

The new MacBook Pro models feature 8th-generation Coffee Lake chips with quad-core chips in the 13-inch models and 6-core chips in the 15-inch models, up to 32GB of RAM for the 15-inch MacBook Pro, a T2 chip for enhanced security and "Hey Siri" support, a quieter third-generation butterfly keyboard, True Tone for both the display and the Touch Bar, and up to 4TB of SSD storage.

Article Link: First 2018 MacBook Pro Orders Set to Be Delivered Tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: killawat

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
Agreed. I need iFixit to tear them down. If they're still crap, I'll wait yet another year for the butterfly keyboard to die.
Wait... do you really think iFixit is going to say anything positive about Apple?

WOW!

Hope the next 15 days are not dusty days, as some would say...

Last edited:

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Nice, they sold one!

Sure hope the ****** keyboard is fixed. Have the late 2016 MBP but continue to keep going back to my trusty 2011 MBP as I get irritated with my click keyboard and sticky enter key on the late 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That’s pretty fast. I definitely need a new laptop, might have to invest in the previous year models...

Apple's Refurb Store is great for that - and you can still get AppleCare+, if you want it.

I just bought a refurb 13" 2015 MacBook Pro from there last week. Those tend to get snapped up fast.. but there are plenty of 2016 and 2017 models there, which sounds like is more in line with what you want.

Reactions: bchery21

Imm0rta1Crow

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Nice, they sold one!

Sure hope the ****** keyboard is fixed. Have the late 2016 MBP but continue to keep going back to my trusty 2011 MBP as I get irritated with my click keyboard and sticky enter key on the late 2016.

0 sympathy for you. Apple actually has an active keyboard service program (https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/), so stop whining pointless arguments on MR, put your big boy pants on and get it fixed .

darkmaxdevil

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
From what I’ve read, the keyboard issue can take months to raise it’s ugly head.
I've been using one for almost 2 years (first batch when released Oct 2016). Still no keyboard issue until today. And trust me, I've been hammering it since I opened the box. I'm a programmer, I hammer keyboard a lot lol. Zero issue so far. And very tempting to order the i9 now as well. But I guess, I'll wait a bit, really want to test the Blackmagic box with the LG 5K to make final decision.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
I'm looking at a 13" to replace my 2015 MacBook. Speaking of, it has the newer butterfly keyboard, too. But I've honestly never had an issue with it. Did this issue only crop up on the MacBook Pro version of the keyboard? I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro with an old keyboard and I have to say, give me my 2015 MacBook keyboard any day of the week. The chiclet style on this thing is insufferable once you are used to the newer style.

Reactions: clauzzz203

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
From what I’ve read, the keyboard issue can take months to raise it’s ugly head.

*in the extremely small but apparently vocal percentage of owners that it could possibly affect.

No, seriously. Reading MR lately, it’s seemed like every freaking MBP has a bad keyboard - but I’d venture that many of the people who are ranting don’t even OWN MacBook Pros, much less have problematic keyboards. They see a “-gate” and latch onto it because it’s fun to bash on stuff. It’s NOT fun to say “Uh, my MBP is awesome and the keyboard is one of the best things about it” because then you’re just a shill or an apologist, amirite?

By the way, the repair program is NOT a “smoking gun” that points to culpability - as anyone who has ever conceded an argument just to end it can tell you. Sometimes it’s easier just to nod your head and move on, even if you know you’re right. THAT’S what Apple’s policy on the keyboards smells like to me.

tl;dr I suppose we’ll never see the numbers on this, but I suspect it’s a WAY smaller issue than the hating on MR would suggest. For the majority of late-model MBP owners, there just isn’t anything to raise its ugly head in the first place.

*I own a 2017 13” MBP and it is awesome.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
*in the extremely small but apparently vocal percentage of owners that it could possibly affect.

No, seriously. Reading MR lately, it’s seemed like every freaking MBP has a bad keyboard - but I’d venture that many of the people who are ranting don’t even OWN MacBook Pros, much less have problematic keyboards. They see a “-gate” and latch onto it because it’s fun to bash on stuff. It’s NOT fun to say “Uh, my MBP is awesome and the keyboard is one of the best things about it” because then you’re just a shill or an apologist, amirite?

By the way, the repair program is NOT a “smoking gun” that points to culpability - as anyone who has ever conceded an argument just to end it can tell you. Sometimes it’s easier just to nod your head and move on, even if you know you’re right. THAT’S what Apple’s policy on the keyboards smells like to me.

tl;dr I suppose we’ll never see the numbers on this, but I suspect it’s a WAY smaller issue than the hating on MR would suggest. For the majority of late-model MBP owners, there just isn’t anything to raise its ugly head in the first place.

*I own a 2017 13” MBP and it is awesome.
I’ve had a 15 inch 2017 since November without issue. Perhaps it is a vocal minority. Then again, I’m in clamshell 75% of the time, so who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.