Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
You think apple is going to toss in $159 earbuds?

And how much are the "similar" models?
No, you're probably right. They'll just flog them like the dead horses they are despite dismal sales, just as they've done with those unloved $80 in-ear buds.

Sure, the competition will be more expensive but the vast majority of people who will pay 150 for these, won't blink at dropping 250 or even 300 for pods with much better audio, design, battery performance etc.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Here's to hoping us orders start showing up tomorrow. I have a delivery date of the 20th, but tracking shows the departed Memphis tn at 507am. That's about 11 hours away from me. Gives enough time for them to get here tomorrow lol. I highly doubt it'll happen but here's to hoping!

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Why is everyone so hyped about these? The Earpod design is one of the least comfortable earbud designs. I have $10 earbuds that are more comfortable than the Earpods.

For most people, the Earpods are really comfortable. Apple analyzed about 1000 ear shapes and found a shape that worked for most. There are definitely people who are outliers where the one-size-fits-all approach isn't going to work.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Cable not fitting into box = design crap.

The cable for the iPhone, Apple Watch, and wired EarPods don't fit inside their respective products, either. I'd rather keep the carry case small enough that I can easily carry it in my pocket.

Do I see USB-A only? Com'on Apple, if you play your (very unwise, to put it diplomatically) games with connectors, at least be so polite to your customers that you provide cables compatible with all your bloody products!

If Apple included a USB-C to Lightning cable then 95% of people would HAVE to run out and buy a USB-A to Lightning cable or repurpose one that they already have.

By including a USB-A to Lightning cable basically 100% of people can use it out of the box. If you have a new MacBook you probably have either a USB-C Lightning cable, a USB-A/C adapter, or a drawer full of USB-A charger blocks.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
About 40 people lined up in Brisbane CBD. People were grabbing 2-3 each and cleared the shelf. Fortunately there was a whole other shelf full of them.

Grabbed a pair, scanned and was out of there at 9:01.

Way more comfortable than I expected. Sounds good, at least for podcasts. Fits my ears perfectly. Will not fall out. Yes, even with headbanging.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
So will these be available for Order and reserve for Pick Up at Apple Stores tomorrow? Or just in stores for walk ins? I won't be able to make it at store opening tomorrow, but will be able to by late afternoon

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The cable for the iPhone, Apple Watch, and wired EarPods don't fit inside their respective products, either. I'd rather keep the carry case small enough that I can easily carry it in my pocket.

If Apple included a USB-C to Lightning cable then 95% of people would HAVE to run out and buy a USB-A to Lightning cable or repurpose one that they already have.

By including a USB-A to Lightning cable basically 100% of people can use it out of the box. If you have a new MacBook you probably have either a USB-C Lightning cable, a USB-A/C adapter, or a drawer full of USB-A charger blocks.

Can they not provide both?

peter2

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007

That's why I claimed "at least be so polite to your customers that you provide cables compatible with all your bloody products". That is, Apple should provide both USB-A and USB-C cables since they chose to be corageous...

Reactions: comics addict

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
No, you're probably right. They'll just flog them like the dead horses they are despite dismal sales, just as they've done with those unloved $80 in-ear buds.

Sure, the competition will be more expensive but the vast majority of people who will pay 150 for these, won't blink at dropping 250 or even 300 for pods with much better audio, design, battery performance etc.

So can you post those examples? I'd love to see the comparisons....or will you just stop replying?

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Do you think those cables cost anywhere close to $25 to manufacture? :D

No, but it's a $20 to $25 loss in revenue because the customer isn't spending the money on the cable. Well, slightly less because some customers will share with their iPhone cable and some will get third party. But there is a profit reduction to Apple for including a cable.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I managed to get a pair from the Apple Store in Broadway in Sydney and have been testing them out for the last 15 mins.

Fit: Fits perfectly and there are no issues of them falling out. It just sat in my ear as I wandered around the house. They almost feel like they're not there cos they're so light.

Charging case: Standard Apple white plastic. Magnetic closure and snaps close very satisfyingly. The AirPods themselves also magnetically snap into their slots.

Sound: They do sound a bit clearer and better than the standard EarPods. I'm no audiophile but I'm very happy with the sound quality.

Connection: Took less than 5 seconds on the iPhone 7 plus. Opened the case and they automatically appeared on the phone screen. Opened my MacBook Pro and they showed up in less than 5 seconds under the bluetooth tab.

Transition between iPhone and MacBook:
Had music playing on the iPhone. Turned on the music on the MacBook and the music in the AirPods automatically stops. MB music plays through the speakers and doesn't automatically play in the AirPods though. You have to physically select AirPods in the bluetooth tab.
Opened the music app on the iPhone and the message "Looks like you're listening music on another device. To resume listening here, just press play". I did and the music from the iPhone came back into the AirPods.

Overall very happy with the purchase. I'm most satisfied with the simple connection and transition, and the fact that they fit perfectly with no risk of falling out.

Happy to take any questions :)

IMG_5081.JPG IMG_5082.JPG IMG_5083.JPG IMG_5084.JPG

bluespark

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The wired earbuds that come with the Apple devices are NOT FREE. The cost is built into the price. Just like the cost of the apple applications that ship with Macintosh computers. Companies, especially apple, do nothing for free.

Relax -- everyone knows that. And you know what he meant by "free."

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
"why does it have USB-A?!" Because most people don't charge their iphone's earphones with their computers. A lot of iOS users dont even have primary computers in the way that we do.

How many USB-C charging blocks do you have lying around your houses? I have about 10 USB-A Ones. Everything uses them. If you have an iphone you have a charging block that is compatible with this cable. The Phone came with it. Duh.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
No, but it's a $20 to $25 loss in revenue because the customer isn't spending the money on the cable. Well, slightly less because some customers will share with their iPhone cable and some will get third party. But there is a profit reduction to Apple for including a cable.

And there is the crux of the issue Apple doesn't include the cable because they want you to pay $25 for one.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Ok. Got mine about an hour and a half ago delivered (it's Monday morning here in Australia).

Great experience so far but I have 2 issues with them already; and 1 "I thought that would happen".

1. One AirPod simply stopped working after using them for about an hour. So I disconnected (not "forget this device") the pods via Bluetooth, then reconnected. This time the other AirPod didn't work but the one which previously didn't work did work! Sorted this out by completely disconnecting AirPods via "Forget this device", and then repairing. Working as should once again.

2. The double tap for Siri (which can be changed to stop or start music, or simply nothing at all) isn't always simple to utilise in my experience - often find myself trying several double taps in the area where previously it worked. Perhaps a bit of practise is required.

And the "thought would happen" is battery usage on my iPhone 7 Plus drains a bit faster, a little more so than I had imagined. But that's Bluetooth, I guess...

Overall, very impressed, particularly when they are connected and doing what they are designed to: play audio. Sound is very good to great, considering they are in-your-ear "head"phones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.