Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
10.6 is probably three years away from right now, so I think that it'd be feasible to have multi-touch as a way to interact with the system. I don't think we'll get rid of our keyboards with the introduction of multi-touch on desktop/laptop computers because it's probably not practical for entering lots of data.
-Chasen

I know it isn't until 2010, but does anyone think I should wait until 10.6, before getting a Macbook, since people think multitouch will be out then? I don't want to get stuck with an older system.

JUST KIDDING!

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Sometimes I think it would take more time for this to happen. But who knows, technology is changing so fast.

When you say multi-touch in 10.6, do you mean no more physical keyboards? This is something that always confuses me, in the iPhone it might be practical, but in a laptop I am not so sure.
Thought I hate SMS typing the on screen keyboard on the iPhone didn't seemed so great, even the guy who presented it seemed to have a hard time pressing the correct key...

I don't know why everyone thinks multitouch screens will be the future, but ok, for sc2 they would be sweet.

I really really really doubt it will be something we'll all use already at os x 10.6 thought.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
While it may suck for some of the later G3 iBook users, I'm glad they seem to have finally put the G3 to rest.

I'm still unsure about the cover flow thing. I don't really use it that much in iTunes, though I dod find the album cover next to the album while browsing to be nice. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is actually being able to tell what a picture is a folder before you open it. This has been in Windows and Linux for some time now, and it is always frustrating to open up a folder full of pictures, especially when they weren't named well(pic1, pic2, etc) and try to find a specific one.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
10.6 is probably three years away from right now, so I think that it'd be feasible to have multi-touch as a way to interact with the system. I don't think we'll get rid of our keyboards with the introduction of multi-touch on desktop/laptop computers because it's probably not practical for entering lots of data.
-Chasen
But if the form factor is the same as now how convenient will it be to press around on that laptop screen?

Or will they make them all flat? How convenient is that if they don't integrate the keyboard within the screen?

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
But if the form factor is the same as now how convenient will it be to press around on that laptop screen?

Or will they make them all flat? How convenient is that if they don't integrate the keyboard within the screen?

I agree, mutlitouch in the full form of the iPhone won't be terribly useful in the current form factors, but but I could see how some of it would be somewhat useful, particularly scrolling(probably my favorite multitouch feature) and manipulating some objects on screen, though I don't think it will be replacing keyboards on "real" computers anyttime soon.

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I think multi-touch will be more like a compliment to the input methods we have today instead of becoming the only method for input...
I would definitely agree.

Multi-touch makes a lot of sense for a UMPC or subnotebook, and of course the iPhone, but for regular laptops (which have enough room for a full-size keyboard) and desktops??? No way Jose. Full-size physcial keyboard > virtual keyboard, sorry. :(

No, it just doesn't make sense in desktops and full-size laptops, except as an alternate input method. I guess tapping files to open them and touch-dragging folders, files, etc. might be more intuitive to people who are 'afraid' of computers (like Grandma ;) ), and that could be an important edge, actually-- but for the computer-savvy, it would actually slow us down.

Multi-touch is cool and great and game-changing on the iPhone, but its not a 'silver bullet' that's going to take over all input on all Macs, at least not until voice recognition/input gets reeeeaaaallllyyyy good... :cool:

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
It is good that they are finally fixing the Print dialog, hopefully making it at least on par with Windoze's. I would really like to have a quick preview of what I am about to print and - please, please, please - to be able to print selection and a current page from any application, not just the Office.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
"• The resolution independence with zoom (CTRL+scrollwheel), yes it's in the zoom, because ZOOM is for accessibility or disabled users, so having the text and controls GO sharper IS THE PROPER WAY."

Oh my. I use this constantly. Awesome! (If it means what I think it means)

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I don't know why everyone thinks multitouch screens will be the future, but ok, for sc2 they would be sweet.

Oh God... Starcraft 2?!? Multi-touch would be AWESOME FOR THAT!!! :D

*sudden stampede of South Koreans emailing Apple demanding Multi-touch support for SC2* :eek:

indraunt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
See, everyone's complaining about multitouch and saying its flawed... We're just not used to it. We've been using traditional keyboards for decades - it'll take a little while to get the hang of an input device lacking tactile feedback.
The thing is though - you'll get the hang of it. Remember the first few times you used a keyboard? Searching for each individual key, pushing them in instead of tapping them... Remember how it would take you two minutes to type anything more than about eight letters? Now look at you - how things have changed!
I believe it'll be the same for multitouch. It'll take yonks, but eventually someone will release a multitouch screen to serve as a keyboard... It won't sell much to begin with, but slowly people begin to realise its power - imagine being able ot personalise your keyboard layout? Even better - imagine being about to set up a custom layout for each app?

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
I agree, mutlitouch in the full form of the iPhone won't be terribly useful in the current form factors, but but I could see how some of it would be somewhat useful, particularly scrolling(probably my favorite multitouch feature) and manipulating some objects on screen, though I don't think it will be replacing keyboards on "real" computers anyttime soon.

I agree. I don't want to have to spend any more time that I already do trying to clean fingerprints and such off my screen. If the multi-touch went mainstream with computers, surely it would be limited to some sort of stylus I would imagine??

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I really don't know how to feel about this cover flow thing.

On the one hand it seems like it could be useful. On the other hand it seems like Apple going out of its way to make the O/S look more and more like iTunes.

If thats the case, what is their motivation? Is it a subtle marketing ploy, are they being somewhat self congratulatory on iTunes success and therefore saying 'if its in iTunes, it must be good'?

I think it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

Several hundred million Windows users have iTunes already on their PCs. They know how to use iTunes. With the Leopard Finder being essentially iTunes (in one of its views), all those PC users now know how to use a Mac, more or less.

This increases the PC crowds' comfort level with the Mac, and lowers the barrier for them to switch to the Mac. It's actually pretty clever on Apple's part.

Now, if Apple'd only get more aggressive on Mac pricing, and expand the product lineup (subnotebook, minitower, 15" MacBook, etc.), they might have a great one-two punch going here... software AND hardware/decent pricing.

THAT might really light a rocket under switcher sales, which are doing pretty good already. :apple:

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is actually being able to tell what a picture is a folder before you open it. T

Do you mean you'd like to be able to see a preview of the picture while still a thumbnail? If so, that's already in OS X, just enable it. Open a new finder window, click view--->Show view options and check "Show icon preview." Just make sure that you also select "All Windows" at the top of that box if you want to show icon previews in all windows. hope that helps, unless I totally misunderstood...:p

mumbai

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
What do they mean with this? Safari now has that styled text editor as in FireFox
One should probably interpret this to mean Safari will improve on its JavaScript/DOM underpinnings to permit usable "rich" text input/editing ... there's been limited support for contentEditable/designMode dating back to Safari 1.3.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I think it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

Several hundred million Windows users have iTunes already on their PCs. They know how to use iTunes. With the Leopard Finder being essentially iTunes (in one of its views), all those PC users now know how to use a Mac, more or less.

This increases the PC crowds' comfort level with the Mac, and lowers the barrier for them to switch to the Mac. It's actually pretty clever on Apple's part.

Now, if they'd only get more competitive on Mac pricing and expand the product lineup (subnotebook, minitower, 15" MacBook, etc.), they might have a great one-two punch going here... software that potential Windows-to-Mac switchers like and know how to use, and hardware & pricing that appeals to them.

THAT might really light a rocket under switcher sales, which are doing pretty good already. :apple:

I hope that works. However, I know plenty of windows people who have no idea about coverflow (even though they use itunes) and some that do can't run it properly/smoothly so they don't bother with it. It's amusing to see the looks on their faces when i show them that they had it all along. It's like finding that extra present way under the Christmas tree.

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I hope that works. However, I know plenty of windows people who have no idea about coverflow (even though they use itunes) and some that do can't run it properly/smoothly so they don't bother with it. It's amusing to see the looks on their faces when i show them that they had it all along. It's like finding that extra present way under the Christmas tree.
Yeah, at some point, Apple might want to have Cover Flow be the default view in iTunes. As soon as most people's systems can handle it easily. I think we might be there already... my iBook G4 800 MHz deals with Cover Flow pretty well... though of course it does not have ze crappy Integrated Graphics that MacBooks have nowadays. :(

Or at least label Apple could label the different views in the iTunes UI... right now, its just 3 small, obscure, unlabelled buttons at upper right.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I agree. I don't want to have to spend any more time that I already do trying to clean fingerprints and such off my screen. If the multi-touch went mainstream with computers, surely it would be limited to some sort of stylus I would imagine??

The stylus is one of the reasons I don't like PDAs. I hope they stay away from those.

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
The stylus is one of the reasons I don't like PDAs. I hope they stay away from those.
Jobs doesn't like styluses. If you watched the Macworld keynote in January, he bagged on them pretty hard during the iPhone presentation. Says they get lost a lot, and he's right.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
No, I mean like the picture view in windows where you can kind of scroll though, I think it's called film strip, which is basically what coverflow will do, just with prettier animations. Icons are a bit too small to be useful with several similar pictures.

Do you mean you'd like to be able to see a preview of the picture while still a thumbnail? If so, that's already in OS X, just enable it. Open a new finder window, click view--->Show view options and check "Show icon preview." Just make sure that you also select "All Windows" at the top of that box if you want to show icon previews in all windows. hope that helps, unless I totally misunderstood...:p

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
See, everyone's complaining about multitouch and saying its flawed... We're just not used to it. We've been using traditional keyboards for decades - it'll take a little while to get the hang of an input device lacking tactile feedback.

There has to be some really "intelligent" text input system for it to work well with a flat surface. Else you'd have to be looking down at your fingers while typing.
Some kind of tactile feedback would be nice. I wonder if we will see something like TactaPad built into multitouch diplays in a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.