Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
There has to be some really "intelligent" text input system for it to work well with a flat surface. Else you'd have to be looking down at your fingers while typing.
Some kind of tactile feedback would be nice. I wonder if we will see something like TactaPad built into multitouch diplays in a few years.

The lack of tactile feed back is why I don't think we'll see a multitouch keyboard on any thing much bigger than an iPhone or maybe a small tablet. In such a small area, you can see the keys as well as the text field you're typing in.

indraunt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
There has to be some really "intelligent" text input system for it to work well with a flat surface. Else you'd have to be looking down at your fingers while typing.
Some kind of tactile feedback would be nice. I wonder if we will see something like TactaPad built into multitouch diplays in a few years.

That was my point though - when you first started using a keyboard you're eyes would be glued to the keyboard as you hunt the keys... Now that you've grown used to using the keyboard you no longer need to watch your fingers. I believe that it will be the same with a multitouch system.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hmm... some of the original points were edited out as there is some debate about their validity. I guess we'll find out more when the seed gets in more public distribution

arn

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
No, I mean like the picture view in windows where you can kind of scroll though, I think it's called film strip, which is basically what coverflow will do, just with prettier animations. Icons are a bit too small to be useful with several similar pictures.

I think Cover Flow will take care of this, but in the meantime a half-fix would be to select the pics you want to view, then do the finder slideshow, and from there select Index Sheet.... course this way you can't sort and organzie, only view, but then again, that's all you can do in film strip.

indraunt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
I think Cover Flow will take care of this, but in the meantime a half-fix would be to select the pics you want to view, then do the finder slideshow, and from there select Index Sheet.... course this way you can't sort and organzie, only view, but then again, that's all you can do in film strip.

Also might want to try an app called MacGizmo if you can't wait til Leopard - it previews files in the corner of the screen for you.
http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/MacGizmo.html

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
That was my point though - when you first started using a keyboard you're eyes would be glued to the keyboard as you hunt the keys... Now that you've grown used to using the keyboard you no longer need to watch your fingers. I believe that it will be the same with a multitouch system.

Well the difference is that with a regular keyboard you can feel the keys. There are bumps on F and J on most keyboards so you can quickly locate where your fingers are on the keyboard without looking.

Like Jeff Han pointed out in his demonstration you would probably want a keyboard that follows your hands and predicts what you are trying to write.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
How about a keyboard with a trackpad like Multi-Touch input on it as well? That way when browsing in Cover Flow... well, basically, anything the iphone can do you can to, so...

I guess it would be a trackpad that accepts multi-touch input? I think that would be pretty slick, if it gave you some kind of feedback as to where your fingers were on the screen. I think I could use that... instead of a mousepad you have a multi-touch pad.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002

I just want to be able to have something like that as a default folder view for a folder with a lot of pictures. So far this is the only advange to coverflow I see.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm actually somewhat suprised that Leopard 9A466 hasn't hit the torrents yet. Man the pirate community has really slacked off over the last year. :p I really wish Apple would adopt Microsoft's Release Candidate strategy. If they did the entire concept of pirating a beta release would go away instantly. Heck charge $10 for a 180 trial. I'd plunk $10 on it.

yzp

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Quebec

Requirements?

You must have a Macintosh computer with:
an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
a DVD drive
built-in FireWire
at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

I was afraid Leopard would have suck much more ram than it does!! not tryed yet, but we'll probably be able to run it on older PPC macs!

(iBook 1.2 w/1.25GB)

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I was afraid Leopard would have suck much more ram than it does!! not tryed yet, but we'll probably be able to run it on older PPC macs!

(iBook 1.2 w/1.25GB)

Didn't Panther have 128MB of RAM as a minimum requirement? While it would technically run on 128MB, it was dog slow.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
Jobs doesn't like styluses. If you watched the Macworld keynote in January, he bagged on them pretty hard during the iPhone presentation. Says they get lost a lot, and he's right.

Yeah it's going to be interesting if and when Apple heads that direction. It just makes me wonder whether a touchscreen would be that popular among many people with laptops...maybe, however, I am the minority that gets annoyed seeing all the fingerprints on my screen haha.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Picture View

Do you mean you'd like to be able to see a preview of the picture while still a thumbnail? If so, that's already in OS X, just enable it. Open a new finder window, click view--->Show view options and check "Show icon preview." Just make sure that you also select "All Windows" at the top of that box if you want to show icon previews in all windows. hope that helps, unless I totally misunderstood...:p

Actually, not all JPG files have thumb nails. However, the finder does have the capability to show the picture without actually opening it. In the Finder window, choose Column View. (right side) Select the folder of photos, and you'll see the images on the right as you scroll through them.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I'm actually somewhat suprised that Leopard 9A466 hasn't hit the torrents yet. Man the pirate community has really slacked off over the last year. :p I really wish Apple would adopt Microsoft's Release Candidate strategy. If they did the entire concept of pirating a beta release would go away instantly. Heck charge $10 for a 180 trial. I'd plunk $10 on it.

Actually, a torrent came out just hours after they handed out the preview at WWDC.
Won't say where to look for it though :p

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Actually, not all JPG files have thumb nails. However, the finder does have the capability to show the picture without actually opening it. In the Finder window, choose Column View. (right side) Select the folder of photos, and you'll see the images on the right as you scroll through them.

But then you've got the problem of being in column view.

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Ha - pretty funny that there is a pic of the Leopard server DVD...I woner if these requiremtns etc are for server or the other version :confused: Anyway that server disc looks cooler ;)

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
I think it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

Several hundred million Windows users have iTunes already on their PCs. They know how to use iTunes. With the Leopard Finder being essentially iTunes (in one of its views), all those PC users now know how to use a Mac, more or less.

This increases the PC crowds' comfort level with the Mac, and lowers the barrier for them to switch to the Mac. It's actually pretty clever on Apple's part.

Call me a heretic, but I'm pretty sure Windows users know how to use folders.

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
The thing I don't get is the grass.

Why grass?

Apple is pretty dang good with cosmetics, but the grassy desktop during the demo annoyed the hell out of me.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
new mighty mouse?

hrmm...does this mean new mighty mouse coming to feature finger swiping, multitouch to be used with coverflow and window size manipulation?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Subtle

The thing I don't get is the grass.

Why grass?

Apple is pretty dang good with cosmetics, but the grassy desktop during the demo annoyed the hell out of me.

This was all a very subtle dig at Vista. Less subtle would have been a Longhorn steer in a meadow, mooin' "WooooooW."

TBaggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
Call me a heretic, but I'm pretty sure Windows users know how to use folders.
Are you telling us that using a Finder and using a folder are the same thing? :rolleyes:

In any case, I'm far from the only one saying that the Leopard Finder's iTunes makeover was squarely aimed at switchers. It hit a lot of people who saw the keynote, and of course the analysts were falling all over themselves to say it too.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
multi-touch would be a pain in the ass for most everyday interactions.

about 3 months ago i finished a huge job that was all touchscreen based. i was developing on my mac and testing on these touchscreens. everything from 15" LCDs all the way up to 50" plasmas; most of the time with no keyboard or mouse attached. i even developed a keyboard for part of the project so i know what typing is like -- it sucks for anything other than very basic and very short strings.

touchscreens are neat for short and simplified interactions or very specialized environments... coverflow is actually a good example, as would google earth, but i'd say 90% of your daily tasks would not be fun with multi-touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.