Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

First Impressions to iPhone 4

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
iPhone 4 early delivery

All I can say is iPhone 4 is great the new Retina Display is out of this world I can't believe how crisp it is "INCREDIBLE"!!! I have got every iPhone since they launched it in 07 and this one is just as they say "the biggest leap since the first iPhone". To all who bag on AT&T I don't get it I live in Southern Cal and have had fine service from them since my first iPhone and I came from Verizon and have seen no difference in service. If you are not getting an iPhone because of AT&T I feel sorry for you. I know Android is good but it's going to be a long time before anybody can compete with iTunes/App store and Apple just keeps getting it right!!! You can call me a Apple fanboy but they earned my support with products that are second to none and customer service that all business' should strive to be like! Thank you again Apple and keep it up Steve Jobs.
Oh ya and thanks for my early delivery, iPhone 4 & I0S 4 are AWESOME!

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
The build quality is simply amazing, it feels incredible in your hand. really makes my 3Gs look and feel like a piece of crap.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
What interests me most is the build quality. I realize only a few have reported receiving theirs early but I'm wondering if/when we're going to see the same reports of poor build quality that we had with the 3G/S.

My biggest concern is the home button. Is it clicky like the first gen? Or mushy like the 3G/S?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The build quality is simply amazing, it feels incredible in your hand. really makes my 3Gs look and feel like a piece of crap.

I'm really looking forward to the phone since I currently have a 3G.

mymoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Pogue review struck good balance re AT&T

To all who bag on AT&T I don't get it I live in Southern Cal and have had fine service from them since my first iPhone and I came from Verizon and have seen no difference in service. If you are not getting an iPhone because of AT&T I feel sorry for you.

I am in the SF Bay Area, and I must agree. I have never had the sorts of problems with AT&T that I keep hearing about. Not that I don't believe the stories, but I sometimes wonder whether the sources (including the media) are overrepresented in high cell traffic problem zones. Plus, the service I've received from AT&T has been higher quality than those times I had to work with Verizon CSRs prior to my iPhone purchase in 2007. Pogue's/NYTimes review got the balance right at his conclusion, I think, by including the AT&T caveat while emphasizing the fantastic advances in the iPhone 4.

neurobound

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
All I can say is iPhone 4 is great the new Retina Display is out of this world I can't believe how crisp it is "INCREDIBLE"!!! I have got every iPhone since they launched it in 07 and this one is just as they say "the biggest leap since the first iPhone". To all who bag on AT&T I don't get it I live in Southern Cal and have had fine service from them since my first iPhone and I came from Verizon and have seen no difference in service. If you are not getting an iPhone because of AT&T I feel sorry for you. I know Android is good but it's going to be a long time before anybody can compete with iTunes/App store and Apple just keeps getting it right!!! You can call me a Apple fanboy but they earned my support with products that are second to none and customer service that all business' should strive to be like! Thank you again Apple and keep it up Steve Jobs.
Oh ya and thanks for my early delivery, iPhone 4 & I0S 4 are AWESOME!

Glad you like the iphone4, I share your feelings. However, with ATT - while the actual reception/calls are relatively acceptable for me too, it's the company itself that I dislike due to a long list of poor customer service I've experienced over the years. I'm generally ok with them so long as I don't have to deal with their customer service. Then all hell is unleashed. To demonstrate how much I dislike them, I assure you - I will pay my early termination fee (which is > $300 If I recall) if that means I can switch back to T-Mobile sometime in the future. I'd do it now if there was official support to do so... but... :X

mymoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Will jump from 1st Gen to iPhone 4

Imagine how I feel with my 5gig 1st generation!

Ahh, I know the feeling, my friend. I plan to pick up a reserved iPhone 4 tomorrow at my local Apple Store, and the jump from my 1st gen will probably cause me to piddle a puddle. But I probably won't notice: that Retina display will have a lock on my retinas. :D

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
What interests me most is the build quality. I realize only a few have reported receiving theirs early but I'm wondering if/when we're going to see the same reports of poor build quality that we had with the 3G/S.

My biggest concern is the home button. Is it clicky like the first gen? Or mushy like the 3G/S?

Home button is improved over the 3g/gs and is very Clicky.

wwrgsww

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I just got my iPhone 4.... all I will say is.... the screen is beautiful! if thats all they changed, it would still be worth it!

delson4

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
GPS accuracy

One thing that none of the pro reviews touched on is GPS. How do the new antenna and chip compare to the 3G/3GS? Is it faster on a fix, and more accurate? Does it work without a cell signal? My 3G's GPS is quite slow, often imprecise, not good enough for turn-by-turn (it's constantly changing its mind about what road I'm on) or confident geocaching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.