Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
I can't wait to play with one in an apple store. I'm hoping I can suppress the temptation to upgrade my 3gs. I just don't know how worth it it's going to be to upgrade a 3gs -> iphone 4 until I play with it.

gringo0505

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Just got mine this morning and it truly is amazing! Its something you just have to hold in your hand to see how awesome the display is. I'd compare it to a 1080p HD TV in its sharpness. I'm just now syncing it to my computer so I haven't played with it a whole lot but so far its outstanding!

nickarate

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
I just got tracking numbers for my 2 16gigs but not my 32s (one of which is mine!). My order number was 680693... and I ordered at 7:52 pst. What you think chances of my 32s as well?

desertcactus

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I am in the SF Bay Area, and I must agree. I have never had the sorts of problems with AT&T that I keep hearing about. Not that I don't believe the stories, but I sometimes wonder whether the sources (including the media) are overrepresented in high cell traffic problem zones. Plus, the service I've received from AT&T has been higher quality than those times I had to work with Verizon CSRs prior to my iPhone purchase in 2007. Pogue's/NYTimes review got the balance right at his conclusion, I think, by including the AT&T caveat while emphasizing the fantastic advances in the iPhone 4.

I will be joining the iPhone club tomorrow, and I am with AT&T now.

I should say that I was disappointed when I traveled to San Jose last month because I did not get any reception in my hotel room at the convention center.
Lobby and eleveter hall was marginally ok, but not in the room I stayed (6th floor.) I get "ok" reception where I live, and excellent reception at my work. After that trip, I started to suspect the story has some truth.

Now, the effect of iPhone 4's popularity/increased packet traffic on AT&T's network remains to be seen, I think.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Wow! FedEx delivered mine a couple of hours ago. Truly, truly a beautiful piece of engineering and manufacturing. Absolutely nothing else on the market, including the new Droid Incredible, which I have checked out, comes close. It feels like it was machined from a single block of stainless steel. It truly makes the former phones (which I have loved) feel and look clunky. This has set the bar so high, it will be hard for Apple, or anyone else to top it. Unless it levitates and projects a holographic image of the person you're talking to maybe.

It is also so beautiful, I am going to go sans-protection. Totally will defeat the stunning appearance and form factor to put it in a bulky skin or case. Perhaps I will carry it within one of those microfiber socks you can put sunglasses in. that will keep it safe from keys and coins. You really have got to hold and see this thing in person to appreciate it.

Definitely worth the upgrade if you are on the fence. And the display - awesome. I never thought the old one looked bad by any measure. But the new one just "pops" with clarity and crispness. You (well - I) truly need a loop to see pixels, but I am 40 something.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I can't wait to play with one in an apple store. I'm hoping I can suppress the temptation to upgrade my 3gs. I just don't know how worth it it's going to be to upgrade a 3gs -> iphone 4 until I play with it.

Once you hold it, you wont be able to suppress :)

But selling your 3GS on eBay will cover most of the upgrade cost (if not all). I have done that with all 3 previous versions. Usually, I sold the previous version for the same amount as the upgrade price.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
So far I like the clarity of the screen, but I have not been overwhelmed with the "retina" display yet. The device reminds me of the black monolith in "2001", I would of preferred all the capabilities in a more smooth form factor like its predecessors.

Attachments

• dave_touches_monolith.jpg
    dave_touches_monolith.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 384

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
So far I like the clarity of the screen, but I have not been overwhelmed with the "retina" display yet. The device reminds me of the black monolith in "2001", I would of preferred all the capabilities in a more smooth form factor like its predecessors.

Woah what's with the room guy? lol

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
One thing that none of the pro reviews touched on is GPS. How do the new antenna and chip compare to the 3G/3GS? Is it faster on a fix, and more accurate? Does it work without a cell signal? My 3G's GPS is quite slow, often imprecise, not good enough for turn-by-turn (it's constantly changing its mind about what road I'm on) or confident geocaching.

I would also like to know this. The GPS on the 3g was often quite slow with keeping up with my location. Hopefully the new antenna has made it better!

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
It feels amazing in my hand, thin yet it has weight to it. Not too heavy but it doesnt feel light and cheap. The retina display is awesome, I cant even see a pixel when I try and I have 20/20 vision. It's restoring from a backup now but I'll post pictures taken with it later.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
the build quality is amazing,
the weight is perfect.

when the iPhone 4 was announced, I wondered why they made it thinner....I didn't think it was necessary. Now that I hold it in my hands I understand why. It just feels so good in the hand, the weight...the size...everything

this thing is SOLID!

midloman

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Midllothian, VA
Fingerprints

Can anyone with the phone let me know if this black iPhone shows fingerprints and smudges as readily as the black backing on the 3G and 3GS phones? I know the display is somewhat resistant to this; I was wondering if the back of the phones shows fingerprints and such as readily as the older versions do. Thanks.

LT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.