Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It seems that the first iPhone 3G S unboxing photos have been posted to the Chinese version of Engadget.com. The images show the new 32GB iPhone 3G S unboxed and demoed with compass and voice control applications. Apple will be officially releasing the iPhone 3G S on June 19th.

Physically, the iPhone 3G S is identical to the iPhone 3G but offers a number of internal improvements including the digital compass (shown above), video recording, faster processor and graphics chips.

Update: The original images have been pulled and we've been nicely asked to remove them for now.

Article Link: First iPhone 3G S Unboxing Photos Showing Compass and Voice Control

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
What the heck! I want mine NOW!!! :p
But its ok for me to wait, I've only waited for 2 years now... whats another 8 days

fr00b

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Sweeeeet. Shame Apple never went ahead with the matte finish on the back tho. :(

Jai.Mac

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
That looks great! I see as previously indicated the packaging is smaller, and it also seems that the text at the back of the phone (i.e. iPhone, serial numbers) seems to be a bolder brighter color similar to the apple logo as opposed to the current 3Gs faint grey color.

Pete99

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
How are you meant to take screen shots now without it going to the voice control app?

bklyn bruiser

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I heard that the 3Gs comes with the charging dock like the 1st Gens did. Anyone has any idea all what comes in the box??

Jai.Mac

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Well I believe to launch voice control you must press and HOLD the home button for a few seconds, taking a screenshot involves quickly pressing both the home button and sleep/wake button, I assume requiring this will also allow you to still use the home button for ipod control/phone favorites.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
How are you meant to take screen shots now without it going to the voice control app?

To take a screen shot you hit Lock + Home button. Voice control is Holding down just the home button. I think. Yeah.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

can't wait to see the reviews on the anti finger print screen.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
I heard that the 3Gs comes with the charging dock like the 1st Gens did. Anyone has any idea all what comes in the box??

In the box:

iPhone 3G S
Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
Dock Connector to USB Cable
USB Power Adapter
Documentation
SIM eject tool

jeffmo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Awesome!! Can't wait for FedEx on the 19th!!

co-sign!

jabooth

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
England
Anyone know any chineese?

I just wanna know if its as swift in operation as it appears in Apple's demo video..

SatanLover

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
omg it looks so much different then the 3g. where is the video of the operating system in action? i want to see how much faster it actually is

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
So how long til Video recorder/Voice Control coming to older iPhones?;)

I would assume since it's just a software limitation, someone will find a way around it.

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
I soo want one one! But can't upgrade till July! I hope there isn't problems like the 3G had at launch. I mean in terms of build quality.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Might just be the picture, but the back looks a little less shiny & a littler warmer of a black.

Or not? :p I dunno

Esp. the back looks really... uhm... strange. Look at the other photos (there are 19) at the Chinese site:

http://cn.engadget.com/2009/06/10/iphone-3g-s-hands-on/

Some strange reflections maybe. Or the material is difficult to photograph? Looks rather different that the "old" iPhone 3G. At the first glance I thought the phone must be in a silk bag or something because of the visible folds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.