Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
What I don't get is people's obsession with getting every new model, because I can do everything you just listed on my 3Gs, and that's soon to be four generations old.

Surely you hankering for an upgrade by now though?

I can understand you not wanting to take every new rendition but the distance between a 3gs and the upcoming 5s is huge!!!

There only been 6 models since 2007 at a rate of roughly one a year.

I don't think owning 3 iPhones over a 6 year period at an average of 1 every 2 years is unreasonable. Is that not more or less inline with most carriers upgrade cycles?

SSonnentag

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Yuma, Arizona, USA
More memory is all it would take to sell me the 5s. Biometric reader, flash, etc. would all just be icing on the cake. :)

64GB is just too limited for my audio "needs".

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
There hasn't been a wow factor for me since the retina display, however I will only buy It because there is nothing else within the market that I find as nice. I considered the htc one but every time I play with it I change my mind.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
What? But I need to upgrade my phone every year in order to feel as though I have the latest and greatest! Surely it's Apple's fault for not giving me a brand new phone every single year.

:rolleyes:

On the plus side this is one less person in the queue in front of me on upgrade day. After almost 3 years on an iPhone4 I'm pretty keen.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Surely you hankering for an upgrade by now though?

I can understand you not wanting to take every new rendition but the distance between a 3gs and the upcoming 5s is huge!!!

There only been 6 models since 2007 at a rate of roughly one a year.

I don't think owning 3 iPhones over a 6 year period at an average of 1 every 2 years is unreasonable. Is that not more or less inline with most carriers upgrade cycles?

I'll probably upgrade to a 5 this year. The 5s would have to really impress me for me to get one. Either way I won't even consider another upgrade for at least 2 years. I don't mind being a few generations behind.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Easrercat,

Why wouldn't you be excited for a new iPhone ? Give the guy a break ; I think everyone is excited for their new toy or at least extremely interested on a upcoming device. Why do we joined this forums in the first place ? I like to read all the excitment news,rumors ,and finally when the product arrives , learn more about the device by visiting these forums and get more info.That's just me I guess . Doesn't mean I don't have other hobbies ? Lol

Agree x 10

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
This will only be a 5S update. I see no reason to believe there will be a redesign a year after they released a redesigned model.

The new model will be the 5C or whatever it's going to be called.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What I don't get is people's obsession with getting every new model, because I can do everything you just listed on my 3Gs, and that's soon to be four generations old.

Well if you like to resell your phones it's wise to keep up with the latest so you'll always get the most money.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
You are not alone. Overall Apple is in a huge slump.

Fixed that for you.

If you think the overall smartphone market is in a slump, you're either not paying attention, don't care, or have eyes only for the iPhone. The innovation right now is incredible, so long as you're willing to look outside the little walled garden. Great designs, fantastic cameras, constantly improving UI's, and more top-end materials. While Apple is sitting back on their laurels and introducing (rumored) things that phones had 5 years ago and calling it revolutionary, the rest of the market is making leaps and bounds, both technologically and physically (where the devices are concerned).

Wake up folks. Apple needs to innovate. Introducing a upgraded iPhone 5 isn't it.

----------

Same here. Always was excited for each product Apple releases but not really excited for the iPhone 5S. However, I'm pumped for iOS 7.

While iOS 7 is refreshing, you'll be bored of it again in a couple of months. I loved it at first. Now it feels just like the same old iOS.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Finally someone spelled it correctly. A petty thing, I know, but it's refreshing lol.
LOL. I'm an adult. If I don't know how to differentiate between peak and pique, I might as well just kill myself now. :D

How can you have made a definite decision based on rumours?
In case you didn't read my sig, I'm using an iphone 4. Because I didn't have a job last year, I didn't upgrade to the 5 like I normally would've. The rumors about a better camera (which is to be expected), dual led and possible fingerprint sensor have me looking forward to the 10 September announcement.
If none of the rumors about the upcoming phone interested me, I could go out right now and get some android-based phone. :rolleyes:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Not wowed?

They should throw you a curve ball. Make the next iPhone bigger, fatter, same speed, same camera, completely different exterior, Triangular, and purple. That'd be hilarious.

You people ask for too much.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If none of the rumors about the upcoming phone interested me, I could go out right now and get some android-based phone. :rolleyes:

Not to be picky, but it still sounds like your decision is based on the condition that the rumours are at least mostly true, or else, as you say, you could buy Android. So your decision isn't yet definite. Hypothetically speaking, every rumour could turn out to be false and the new phone(s) could be utter garbage.

That's all I meant.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
All I care for at the keynote is to hear about how many Apps have been sold on iTunes, and how many iPads have been purchased. Perhaps they'll throw in a few charts and graphs about how much money Apple's making!?!?

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Not wowed?

They should throw you a curve ball. Make the next iPhone bigger, fatter, same speed, same camera, completely different exterior, Triangular, and purple. That'd be hilarious.

You people ask for too much.
Apple thrives on customers like yourself, so very easily pleased with anything that they release and never questioning their products.
Btw; Nobody asks for bigger iPhone, people ask for bigger screen that current design can easily accommodate by reduction of the oversized bezel. I have seen mock ups of existing iPhone 5 with 4.7 inch screen right here on MR forums, it can be done, the question is: is Apple willing to do it...?

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Either way I won't even consider another upgrade for at least 2 years. I don't mind being a few generations behind.

Tell you what will force you to upgrade sooner, wear and tear on the 5. My only criticism of the 5 is that it ages badly, where the 3gs has a pretty bullet proof design.

That aside I think you will be blown away by it.

I would say though, if you upgrade so seldom treat yourself to the 5s. :)

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Apple thrives on customers like yourself, so very easily pleased with anything that they release and never questioning their products.
Btw; Nobody asks for bigger iPhone, people ask for bigger screen that current design can easily accommodate by reduction of the oversized bezel. I have seen mock ups of existing iPhone 5 with 4.7 inch screen right here on MR forums, it can be done, the question is: is Apple willing to do it...?

I don't see any indication in my previous post that says Im a slave to apple. You must feel real good about yourself by including that in there though. Did you up vote your own post too? I only buy products I find are useful to my needs.

If I'm not pleased, I'm not confined to buying apple products. Maybe you are and so you choose to whine about it.

Just because a mock up shows it can fit externally doesn't mean that it'll fit internally. Even if it all fits, there will be compromises like battery life or limiting other features. Just because you can do it in photoshop doesn't mean you can do it in real life.

I'm just saying, quite whining about their designs. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. You turning to android and windows is the best way you can tell apple their plan sucks. Complaining the iPhone is boring or the Mac Pro is not a Mac Pro won't help apple change their game.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Why do we still don't get inductive charging in the next iPhone? If Apple wanted to, they could've done this with the 4 back in the days.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Wifi ac alone is reason enough for me to upgrade to the 5s. NFC, FPS, better camera and A7 processor is just a big bonus.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Thanks but no thanks. It is a fact that smartphones, in general are in a slump due to the economy. Sales are not what the makers would like to see.

Actually, it's got nothing to do with the economy. It's the fact that the smartphone market is quickly becoming saturated, i.e. everyone that wants a smartphone, has a smartphone. Add to that the ridiculous 2-year lock in when you're with a carrier and only half the market "rolls over" each year.

If I misunderstood your post, forgive me. I thought you were talking about smart phones in general becoming stale. If it was the market you were referring to and not the devices, I apologize.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Fixed that for you.

If you think the overall smartphone market is in a slump, you're either not paying attention, don't care, or have eyes only for the iPhone. The innovation right now is incredible, so long as you're willing to look outside the little walled garden. Great designs, fantastic cameras, constantly improving UI's, and more top-end materials. While Apple is sitting back on their laurels and introducing (rumored) things that phones had 5 years ago and calling it revolutionary, the rest of the market is making leaps and bounds, both technologically and physically (where the devices are concerned).

Wake up folks. Apple needs to innovate. Introducing a upgraded iPhone 5 isn't it.

----------

While iOS 7 is refreshing, you'll be bored of it again in a couple of months. I loved it at first. Now it feels just like the same old iOS.
here we go again with the innovative card! so which companies are innovating?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
here we go again with the innovative card! so which companies are innovating?

Hmm...Samsung, HTC, LG, etc, etc, etc. BTW, Apple brought this on themselves. If they didn't go around throwing terms like "revolutionary" and "innovative" at every little thing they put in their products (which, again, lots of phones had long before Apple did), they wouldn't get mocked by the competition like they do. It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome. They said it so much that nobody takes them seriously now.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Feels like "innovation" has just become slang for "bigger screen" - I'm struggling to think what other revolutions any of those companies have introduced to the sector. NFC? Has that changed the world without my noticing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.