Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If you think a bigger screen in innovation

I don't, obviously. My point is many android cheerleaders very clearly do.

then you are not really understanding what is going on. If you look at all the features of the new phones, there are plenty of new things that you may use or not.
Many people dismiss this by saying, I'll never use that feature, but for each person that doesn't use it, there is someone else that will.

Really, though? Are there people out there right now actually actively using Air Gestures? Does anyone know why?

The point is, these companies are trying to bring new things that are not present today. That is innovation.

What most of these companies are doing is simple gimmickry, bringing to market features that nobody wants or will use purely to score imaginary points against their competitors. If you want to count every new chocolate teapot as an "innovation" you go right ahead, but there's one company with a habit of having good new ideas which stick and actually benefit people, and it ain't Samsung.

And what does apple give us? new colorful skinny font OS system.

If you weren't so dazzled by the pretty colours and the font, you'd notice that ios 7 has quite a few other tricks under the hood, some of which are even - dare I say it - innovative?

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I don't, obviously. My point is many android cheerleaders very clearly do.

Really, though? Are there people out there right now actually actively using Air Gestures? Does anyone know why?

What most of these companies are doing is simple gimmickry, bringing to market features that nobody wants or will use purely to score imaginary points against their competitors. If you want to count every new chocolate teapot as an "innovation" you go right ahead, but there's one company with a habit of having good new ideas which stick and actually benefit people, and it ain't Samsung.

If you weren't so dazzled by the pretty colours and the font, you'd notice that ios 7 has quite a few other tricks under the hood, some of which are even - dare I say it - innovative?

To me your statement reeks of fanboyism.
Everything Samsung does is gimmickry and everything Apple does is innovation?

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
To me your statement reeks of fanboyism.
Everything Samsung does is gimmickry and everything Apple does is innovation?

Not what i said - but lets clear something up while we're on the subject of Samsung. I remember exactly what samsung thought a smartphone was and should be before the iPhone came along, and the fact is it was apples innovation in that market that drove 90% of what Samsung did next. That's just a given as far as I'm concerned; we've all watched that happen over the past 5-6 years.

So we've got one company with a undeniable track record of innovation and then we've got Samsung. And I've asked, and other people here have asked, and we're all still waiting - what have Samsung done that's so worthwhile and innovative? What have they brought to the table here?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You must have nothing better to spend your money on. Assuming, of course, you already have a 5 and will be paying full-cost for the 5S.
If you had actually bothered to pay attention and read my sig, you'd know that I own a 4.
Perhaps you should stop making an ass of yourself and pay attention. :rolleyes:

centavar

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Perhaps Samsung could do some catching up in build quality, now that would be a real innovation (for them).

Attachments

• bfi1375260734y.jpg
    bfi1375260734y.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 77

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
If it's a redesign, I'll upgrade. But if it's a 5 > 5S, I'll hold onto my 4S and wait for the 6.

Why people care so much about design this days ? I will understand if you want a bigger screen and 5S won't have one.

Recently we bought a strong machine to the company costs 50k$ but it looked like the same old model from 2009 we had. people only cared about the design.. its unbeliveable.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
With the latest 128GB rumours, I'm suddenly much more interested.

Although a tougher (less cheap) anodization layer on the black model is still the deal breaker for me.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Posters on this forum felt that the 5 was dull, boring, the same. A phone where Apple changed the hardware inside and out. Meaningful changes. Cosmetic changes. Even the screen got bigger.

There is no longer any change that will give these people the thrill they are hoping to find. A huge screen might do it for some, but may also put off just as many. No matter what happens next I suspect this spirit of dissatisfaction will permeate the forum from now on.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone Camera

The camera on the iPhone sucks at taking pictures of concerts. The guy next to me had a Samsung and his camera would focus on the band on stage. The lights always affected the iPhone camera which never focused and everything was always bright and white. No details at all. What a waste.:(

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
What was the wow of the iPhone 4? Siri?

Siri came with the 4S ;).

I think the excitement of 4 was the brand new design, competely different from the 3GS. The speed and power was a big jump also. I remember when they showed "Epic Citidel" running on the 4, and I was blown away (still looks amazing IMO). Also, the looks of the 4 were killer compared to the 3GS.

Dun Properly

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Not what i said - but lets clear something up while we're on the subject of Samsung. I remember exactly what samsung thought a smartphone was and should be before the iPhone came along, and the fact is it was apples innovation in that market that drove 90% of what Samsung did next. That's just a given as far as I'm concerned; we've all watched that happen over the past 5-6 years.

So we've got one company with a undeniable track record of innovation and then we've got Samsung. And I've asked, and other people here have asked, and we're all still waiting - what have Samsung done that's so worthwhile and innovative? What have they brought to the table here?

I strongly encourage you look up the HP iPAQ before you give Apple too much credit for the design of the iPhone. You might be surprised at what you find was out there years before Apple "innovated" the design of the iPhone.

Heck, the name iPAQ even sounds familiar...

This model is from like 2003...
PocketPC-HP-iPAQ-h2210.jpg

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I strongly encourage you look up the HP iPAQ before you give Apple too much credit for the design of the iPhone. You might be surprised at what you find was out there years before Apple "innovated" the design of the iPhone.

Heck, the name iPAQ even sounds familiar...

This model is from like 2003...

I'm very familiar with the Ipaq etc. Hell, in 2003 I was using a Sony Ericsson P800, a touchscreen smartphone with Internet, email, music, apps, a camera - so don't lecture me about prior art. I had a succession of smartphones before the iPhone ever existed and actually laughed off the first iphone for its lack of apps. But by the time the 3G turned up I could see the way things were going and the truth is, Apple turned that smartphone industry I was familiar with upside down, and I'm grateful to them for that, because we all got better products as a result of that, whichever brand we brought from.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm very familiar with the Ipaq etc. Hell, in 2003 I was using a Sony Ericsson P800, a touchscreen smartphone with Internet, email, music, apps, a camera - so don't lecture me about prior art. I had a succession of smartphones before the iPhone ever existed and actually laughed off the first iphone for its lack of apps. But by the time the 3G turned up I could see the way things were going and the truth is, Apple turned that smartphone industry I was familiar with upside down, and I'm grateful to them for that, because we all got better products as a result of that, whichever brand we brought from.

So your saying because Apple did a smartphone better (eventually) that's innovation?

Isn't Samsung doing the same thing Apple did years ago?

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
I've never really been excited by S-version rumors, not with the 3gs, 4s and not with the 5s. I must admit tho, the fingerprint sensor is getting me curious.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Why people care so much about design this days ? I will understand if you want a bigger screen and 5S won't have one.

Recently we bought a strong machine to the company costs 50k$ but it looked like the same old model from 2009 we had. people only cared about the design.. its unbeliveable.

You need to understand, unlike you, who may be practical and functional, some of us are different, and want something new, different, and unique. We're the group of people that bring change to our world in terms of visual appearance. It's all about the makeup of people from a psychological artistic standpoint. We want the next iPhone to be progressive in appearance and a 4.3 or 4.7 inch. screen won't be so bad either.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
So your saying because Apple did a smartphone better (eventually) that's innovation?

Isn't Samsung doing the same thing Apple did years ago?

They didn't just do it better, they understood exactly what was wrong with the existing products and did things differently, took it in a whole new direction and created something that, for all it's similarity on paper, was essentially something new. That is absolutely the complete opposite of what Samsung is doing, and exactly what samsung had already proved incapable of doing at the time - don't lose sight of the fact that it's still Apple, not Samsung or HTC or Motorola etc that's the newcomer to smartphones. Sammy isn't some scrappy challenger to the crown, it's the same monolith that was quite content producing the same old unchanging windows mobile crap as everyone else year after year until Apple stole their lunch.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
For all of those who keep harping on how innovative Apple was with the iPhone let me remind you that it wasn't Apple. It was visionary Steve Jobs. That vision no longer exists in the company. Need I say more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.