First Windows Core 2 Duo Laptops Released

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
98
0
It makes more sense for Apple to wait for tomorrow, anyway. This way, they can avoid being drowned out by the other manufacturer's announcements and simultaneously steel their fanfare. They'll probably do something like "New, with Merom, and more..." and add on another fancy feature or two to each thing to outdo the other laptop guys.

Though, I still think they're coming on the 18th of sept.
 

Micrll

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
38
0
I just want them to bump up the Macbook so then I can go ahead and buy my fist Mac. I just want to buy it when its the most current.

Dispite all the problems I have been reading about I am ready and willing to give it a try. Its been a hard decision all summer but its time.
 

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
2,112
230
My Mac
BlizzardBomb said:
Maybe because most manufacturers have started selling Core 2 Duo computers but Apple hasn't.
Peace said:
I'm guessing it's because every computer maker has announced the new Core 2 Duo but Apple hasn't.That's why I voted negative.

I guess Apple needs to change their "update tuesdays" to match the competition eh? In other words, update on other days as needed.
 

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
98
0
Micrll said:
I just want them to bump up the Macbook so then I can go ahead and buy my fist Mac. I just want to buy it when its the most current.
Ya, that's that I'm hoping. For the same reason too. I've used macs forever, but never owned my very own (other than an old PowerMac 7500). I also hope they update the ipod soon, I want to get the latest and greatest but I need to order by wednesday :p
 

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
888
0
nj
andiwm2003 said:
not that it really matters. but they stole apples thunder.

and since steve compared osx to windows and the mac pro to dell and made lot's of fun about both they'd better stay on top of the game.
I think that Apple shouldn't enter that race.. their products are distinguished by other features than mere processing power (as soon as this changes: goodbye Apple), and coming out with new models every few months will probably just piss off Apple customers (so far, it's pretty easy to know ALL current laptop models that Apple offers - can you say that for Dell, too?).
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
silverblue3 said:
Assuming they release it tomorrow, would it be available at the apple store right away(not the online store)? :confused:
Usually, Apple tends to make newly announced product available in their retail outlets as soon as it's announced, or quickly there after--within a day or two of the announcement.

Of course, there have been excpetions to this rule, so Apple might announce upgrades tomorrow with availability dependent upon when shipments arrive from overseas.

Who knows? Perhaps those shipments came early and they're already in the back rooms of stores ready to hit retail tomorrow. Prudence dictates though that we'll probably see upgrades to current lines in the next two to three weeks. Being hopeful for tomorrow is probably just a pipe dream.

I think Apple does realize that by adopting Intel as their chip supplier, it is necessary to stay current with new technology, but I also think they don't feel the need to announce/release products with that new technology as soon as their competitors do. Apple takes a very laissez faire attitude towards public appearances concerning their competition with Microsoft and other PC manufacturers. They certainly do care what those companies are up to, but they're going to pretend that they don't really care. It's all part of their marketing strategy since the whole Think Different campaign began. Therefore, announcing their upgrades so close to the competition announcing theirs, kind of doesn't make sense from Apple's marketing standpoint.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. :D
 

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
272
0
Maryland
TheKrillr said:
Though, I still think they're coming on the 18th of sept.
That would be way behind everyone else, and also would prevent students from taking advantage of the free iPod Nano with a new computer. Also, if they want to catch the student market (like me) they need to update tomorrow, or at least on September 5. The shipments from asia are probably the best indicator of a release that we have seen to date. Apple would not leave "secret" massive shipments lying around unsold. There are over 150 Apple Stores worldwide, and there is no way there wont be some sort of security breach if hundreds of thousands of boxes are sitting around all around the world. I personally would probably find a way into the nearest Apple Store storage room to see what is in those boxes, though I proably wouldn't have to because an apple employee would blab first.
 

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
1,362
9
Scotland, UK
TheKrillr said:
It makes more sense for Apple to wait for tomorrow, anyway. This way, they can avoid being drowned out by the other manufacturer's announcements and simultaneously steel their fanfare. They'll probably do something like "New, with Merom, and more..." and add on another fancy feature or two to each thing to outdo the other laptop guys.

Though, I still think they're coming on the 18th of sept.

Every time i read a post like this i cringe a little!

There are so many rumors about a new ipod coming in the next few weeks/months/etc, most likely announced at Paris (maybe).

Therefor if apple were to release a new ipod they would want to try and get rid of some older models! Thus i conclude that even if the new MBPs are announced or even shipping tomorrow then more people would buy one with the ipod offer... ...getting rid of sed older models!

So why would they wait til after the promotion?

Apple dont needhelp shifting notebooks but if they announce a new ipod you would bet that not many people would want the original ipod video over a new improved one!?
 

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
98
0
anim8or said:
There are so many rumors about a new ipod coming in the next few weeks/months/etc, most likely announced at Paris (maybe).
That would be an awesome birthday present for me, my birthday is the 12th ;-)
 

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
1,384
0
Champaign, IL
anim8or said:
Every time i read a post like this i cringe a little!

There are so many rumors about a new ipod coming in the next few weeks/months/etc, most likely announced at Paris (maybe).

Therefor if apple were to release a new ipod they would want to try and get rid of some older models! Thus i conclude that even if the new MBPs are announced or even shipping tomorrow then more people would buy one with the ipod offer... ...getting rid of sed older models!

So why would they wait til after the promotion?

Apple dont needhelp shifting notebooks but if they announce a new ipod you would bet that not many people would want the original ipod video over a new improved one!?
I see people still talking about big announcements at the Paris expo. Considering there will be NO keynote of any kind I find it unlikely.
 

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
272
0
Maryland
DavidLeblond said:
Yeah, Apple would NEVER do THAT. :rolleyes:
These are products that are now competing directly with the products or the PC industry. I have been using macs since I was about 4, but now that Apple is using Intel Processors, all they really have going for them are their ability to run OS X and their design, which are huge for most of Apple's current market. The ability to run Windows though has helped recently to increase Apple's sales, but it means that apples are now directly competing with Dell, HP and the like. It used to be that apple boasted about their benchmarks versus PCs, but with the Mac Pro, they have been boasting about their price. The innards of a high-end Dell workstation are almost identical to those of the Mac Pro, and likewise, the MacBook and MacBook Pros are very similar to the offerings of the rest of the computer industry. If apple wants to be able to market their products based solely on their products special features they won't sell. It has been the comparible performance along with the things that make Apples Apples that have caused MacBooks to become backordered.
 

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
345
1
London
my cat has told me that there will be a 23" chin-less iMac with the new Core 2 Duo chips, 1gig std, wireless kbd and mouse std. Or he is just hungry - hard to tell just what he is saying but he has friends in high places (trees mostly)

still heres hoping he's spot on
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
anim8or said:
Apple dont needhelp shifting notebooks but if they announce a new ipod you would bet that not many people would want the original ipod video over a new improved one!?
This is my hope...
The merom MBP's are available before the free Nano promotion ends. I buy a MBP and get the free Nano.
New widescreen iPod video's are released sometime after (October?) to coincide with Apple's annoucement of movie downloads on iTunes.
Then, I sell both my Nano and my old iPod video, and buy the brand new iPod video. :D
 

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
3,023
2
UK
jholzner said:
I see people still talking about big announcements at the Paris expo. Considering there will be NO keynote of any kind I find it unlikely.

Agreed. I think there will be 'quiet updates' of the Mac range in the coming weeks, plus a 'Special Event' or two in the coming months for the announcements of the new iPods and Movie Store.
 

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
3,276
3,976
La Jolla, CA
HecubusPro said:
I do agree that the look of the current enclosure is great, and it's doubtful we'll get a change to the look of the enclosure anytime soon. However, I can see them changing the enclosure to match up more with what the regular MB allows, i.e. easy access to the HDD bay so users can swap out hard drives ease. Now that would be nice.

sure, I agree that minimal changes might happen. If it improves the experience, why not.
A total redesign case is what I doubt. It will take some time. I would say at least 1 year from now.
Same for the entire line up. Imac, MacPro, laptops, Mac Mini, displays, etc. Apple's current hardware design is very nice. Besides minor improvements, big changes will take some time IMHO.
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,197
286
Raleigh, NC
BBC B 32k said:
my cat has told me that there will be a 23" chin-less iMac with the new Core 2 Duo chips, 1gig std, wireless kbd and mouse std. Or he is just hungry - hard to tell just what he is saying but he has friends in high places (trees mostly)

still heres hoping he's spot on
I'm hoping he is too!

My cat told ME that there will be Merom based iMacs released tomorrow. That, or she wants fresh water. I'm not sure which.
 

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
1,637
115
middle earth
jholzner said:
I see people still talking about big announcements at the Paris expo. Considering there will be NO keynote of any kind I find it unlikely.
Agreed. There won't be anything of import in Paris itself. But Apple may release updates in conjunction with the Expo from their Cupertino campus.

That should make the Expo organizers _really_ happy! :rolleyes:
 

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
3,023
2
UK
BBC B 32k said:
my cat has told me that there will be a 23" chin-less iMac with the new Core 2 Duo chips, 1gig std, wireless kbd and mouse std. Or he is just hungry - hard to tell just what he is saying but he has friends in high places (trees mostly)

still heres hoping he's spot on

Can you ask your cat if I should pack my 'big' coat or a 'summer' coat for my holiday in Portugal next week? Cheers. :D
 

macintel007

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
7
0
Earth
It's about time!

It's about time that Apple realize that people want to be in pairs with the rest of the PC world. To offer a 1,66GHz while PC computers are at 2GHz...well you know?

Come on Apple, don't let us begging :))
 

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
6,887
511
zero2dash said:
Apple isn't trying to remain competitive with anyone. :rolleyes:
Never have, never will.
They march to the beat of their own drum.
They're competitive with the Mac Pro. Very competitive.

I'd like to see apple release merom and conroe machines ASAP, but I'm not going to rake them over the coals for lagging the announcements from PC makers by a few days (probably in the next two or three tuesdays).

Are all the pc merom laptops shipping immediately?

weg said:
I think that Apple shouldn't enter that race.. their products are distinguished by other features than mere processing power (as soon as this changes: goodbye Apple), and coming out with new models every few months will probably just piss off Apple customers (so far, it's pretty easy to know ALL current laptop models that Apple offers - can you say that for Dell, too?).
Updating wouldn't mean new models, just bumps to what they're shipping now. And that's a GOOD thing, apple customers should be happy about having the latest and greatest available, not pissed off. Apple needs to consistently keep up with the latest cpus.
 

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
2,448
1
West Coast
Micrll said:
I just want them to bump up the Macbook so then I can go ahead and buy my fist Mac. I just want to buy it when its the most current.
Um, it's most current whenever you buy it.

As long as you're not buying the past generation, anyway.

If you walked into the Apple Store today and bought a 2GHz MacBook, it'd be the most current.