Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
DavidLeblond said:
Well I think most people are like me, they want their money to go as far as it can go. Right now $2000 will get you a decent 20" 32bit processor iMac. A few weeks from now (or hours! who knows! excitement!) it will get you a decent 20" 64bit processor iMac. I got my iBook about a week before they announced a speed bump (did not know enough about Mac culture to know to wait) and it pissed me off. Not gonna happen to me again!

Hey I said I too have been waiting - since June - to replace my 6 1/2 year old G4. Don't even have iWeb or Tiger. At this point, I almost want to wait to get Leopard pre-installed on a Santa Rosa motherboard. It's a vicious circle. So sue me for being a little bored while I wait for revisions. And speaking of, can we stop the should I buy now or wait threads. Find one and read it.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Macrumors said:
With the switch to Intel, Apple may have to provide timely upgrades to remain competitive with Windows-based PC manufacturers.

Aint that the understatement of the year!

TM

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
4God said:
I'll bet we see a Mini refresh tomorrow.

That would be good news for me since I just bought a mini last week. I could return it and get a new one. Anyone know of benchmarks comparing the core duo with the core 2 duo?

lessthandmb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Nothing is going to happen tommorow

There's no chance apple is releasing MBP's tomorrow. There are too many things pointing towards early/mid-Sept.

-The shipment is planned for Sept. 5th (reliable sources)
-Dell/Alienware aren't shipping merom chips until the end of
September
-Gateway did not even make merom available, they only released the
desktop chip.
-The Apple website was just updated to the new front page
(pc v.s. mac ads), which they wouldn't just put up to take down
-Apple does not want to be bunched together with all the other PC
manufacturers so are more likely to:
-release an even faster version of merom (past 2.33ghz)
-wait until they are ready to ship that day so apple could
tout "get your MBP today"
-put dual lower clocked chips (1.8/2.0ghz) making the MBP
a "Quad" :eek: ...aright maybe not.

And what is on the side of "They will be released tomorrow"

-Tomorrow is Tuesday:)

Jeremy

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
lessthandmb said:
There's no chance apple is releasing MBP's tomorrow. There are too many things pointing towards early/mid-Sept.

There's no question that apple will not *ship* merom machines tomorrow. But there's nothing stopping them from making the announcement and taking preorders.

prezpat2020

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
New Enclosure!

Jesus said:
I dream of a new macbook pro enclosure...

Amen to that! Give me the Santa Rosa with a new MacBook Pro enclosure and 10.5 preinstalled... THEN I'll upgrade from my sturdy G3 iBook!

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
BBC B 32k said:
my cat has told me that there will be a 23" chin-less iMac with the new Core 2 Duo chips, 1gig std, wireless kbd and mouse std. Or he is just hungry - hard to tell just what he is saying but he has friends in high places (trees mostly)

still heres hoping he's spot on

This would be great.

Apple, offer the 23" screen at the same price the 20" is now and the "new" 20 with the 17´s price. Also, go ahead and surprise everyone by releasing Leopard for Christmas. Oh, and BTW, if you upgrade the memory to 1GB, make it just a single1GB stick and not two 512. (I want to be able to buy a sencond 1GB stick later on without wasting memory)

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
roland.g said:
Hey I said I too have been waiting - since June - to replace my 6 1/2 year old G4. Don't even have iWeb or Tiger. At this point, I almost want to wait to get Leopard pre-installed on a Santa Rosa motherboard. It's a vicious circle. So sue me for being a little bored while I wait for revisions. And speaking of, can we stop the should I buy now or wait threads. Find one and read it.

there will ALWAYS be updates, if you keep waiting for the next one you'll be waiting forever. Santa rosa isn't going to be THAT amazing of an upgrade. I'd just buy the core duo 2 when they release and then upgrade to leopard later. But that's just me.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
fall3n said:
there will ALWAYS be updates, if you keep waiting for the next one you'll be waiting forever. Santa rosa isn't going to be THAT amazing of an upgrade. I'd just buy the core duo 2 when they release and then upgrade to leopard later. But that's just me.

Agreed. That would have been like waiting for the 167MHz bus on the old Powerbooks because the 133MHz wasn't cutting it.... :p

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
DavPeanut said:
These are products that are now competing directly with the products or the PC industry. I have been using macs since I was about 4, but now that Apple is using Intel Processors, all they really have going for them are their ability to run OS X and their design, which are huge for most of Apple's current market. The ability to run Windows though has helped recently to increase Apple's sales, but it means that apples are now directly competing with Dell, HP and the like.

There are two kinds of people who would consider a mac:
1. those who want to run OSX: they have no choice, just like before
2. those who want to run Windows: they had no reason to buy a mac before, but they can consider it now

So with the move to Intel, Apple has in fact increased its potential market. If they play it well, I'm guessing they'll sell a lot more computers in the near future than they did in the past.

Just my uneducated guess.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Upgraded MBPs

I doubt that Apple will announce any Core 2 Duo upgrades to the MacBook Pro line until Sept 18th at Paris. That is just the way Apple does things, and I think it will be within the appropriate time frame for processor upgrades (It's been just 8 months since the initial release of MBP.)

It will be interresting as this is the first of many processor upgrades from intel's "Core" lineup. If Apple wants to continue to march to the beat of their own drum and feel like they can update their own lines as they see fit, then it would be in their best interest to have multiple upgrades at the same time. In other words upgrade the video card and HDD while you're at it to make it seem like the longer wait was worth while.

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
The new MBPs will be announced on 6th with the free 2-3 day shipping, so MBPs would arrive sooner than the PCs inspite of announcing a week later!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
prady16 said:
The new MBPs will be announced on 6th with the free 2-3 day shipping, so MBPs would arrive sooner than the PCs inspite of announcing a week later!

where'd you get that info...or is that your wishful thinking out loud?:rolleyes:

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Santa rosa

fall3n said:

What about the Robson flash technology. That sounds like the greatest thing since a laptop with a palmrest on the bottom and an "upside down" logo.

epitaphic

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
milo said:
There's no question that apple will not *ship* merom machines tomorrow. But there's nothing stopping them from making the announcement and taking preorders.

ah yes. just like they did with the eMac back in the day. that was popular... you know, not having a product to ship for weeks.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
epitaphic said:
ah yes. just like they did with the eMac back in the day. that was popular... you know, not having a product to ship for weeks.

Well, assuming they announced and shipped about the same time as the PC companies, there's really not that much to complain about. Don't forget, they did it with the MPB as well.

And if people are really unwilling to wait a couple weeks, nothing is stopping them from buying the yonah models.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
epitaphic said:

Isn't that how they introduced the MBP in January? Announced at MWSF and then not shipped until sometime in February? (I think the iMacs shipped right away, which could be a good "hint" that they could get conroe....if you like that sort of a parallel.)

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
milo said:
Well, assuming they announced and shipped about the same time as the PC companies, there's really not that much to complain about. Don't forget, they did it with the MPB as well.

And if people are really unwilling to wait a couple weeks, nothing is stopping them from buying the yonah models.

Some of us don't have time to wait, my friend. Some of us need these things for school, which starts shortly. Very shortly. And a customized MacBook already takes 1-2 weeks to get to you. Which means I need to order by september 5th at the latest.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
TheKrillr said:
Some of us don't have time to wait, my friend. Some of us need these things for school, which starts shortly. Very shortly. And a customized MacBook already takes 1-2 weeks to get to you. Which means I need to order by september 5th at the latest.

So order it.

I was talking about people who buy a machine and immediately consider returning it.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
milo said:

Or if they want the simple satisfaction of having a C2D laptop on order, they can always pre-order one at Dell, HP, etc., then cancel that pre-order when the MBP C2D are announced. That way, in spirit, they can have a mac Core 2 Duo machine on pre-order right now. :)

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
milo said:
So order it.

I was talking about people who buy a machine and immediately consider returning it.

Speaking of returns, is there a possibility of buying the machine and if they don't auto-upgrade me to the new one, return it and buy a new one?

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
HecubusPro said:
Or if they want the simple satisfaction of having a C2D laptop on order, they can always pre-order one at Dell, HP, etc., then cancel that pre-order when the MBP C2D are announced. That way, in spirit, they can have a mac Core 2 Duo machine on pre-order right now. :)

I believe such behavior is sign of impending mental collapse...

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
this goes to show how behind apple is in updating.
clearly they arent ready to adapt to an intel platform. the cant even make simple processor adjustments on time!
all the major companies have made this transition.

apple needs to stop being so secretive. they need to start acting like a real computer company, and let there customers know when upgrades are coming.
i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see these upgrades till october.. no.. january.

this is ridiculous.

/end rant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.