Fitbit Announces New Apple Watch Rival 'Versa' and Kid-Friendly 'Ace'

Wash08

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Space
So, that's what they're doing with the leftover pebble vessels and the OS, they should had just keep the pebble brand.

bcwmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
I know Apple has one of the best selling smart watches on the market, but I am not sure the smart watch brand makes a difference. There is no feature in the Apple Watch that makes it sticky to the Apple environment I live in. My phone, tablet and computer all have those integrations that make them convenient. I received notifications from my Garmin. The Garmin had better battery, sleep tracking, fitness data and integration to my sporting life. I am seriously thinking about selling my Apple watch and getting a VivoActive 3 or Fenix 5. I actually recommend Fitbits and Garmins over the Apple watch anytime someone asks.

Raketemensch

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Tralfamadore
Just put out a "low-end" Fitbit that is really any of the later Pebble watches and we'll buy them.

I don't understand buying a superior ecosystem and continuing to hobble along with your own, lesser one.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Depends on cost. Folks might go for this if it is more affordable and has enough functionality. Plus, the app works across mobile operating systems unlike Apple Watch.
The fact Apple Watch works with only Apple products is by design. Working across multiple operating systems isn't necessarily an advantage as it causes fragmentation, app, and support issues.

It's kind of why Apple is so successful today.

Reactions: Kengineer

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
The fact Apple Watch works with only Apple products is by design. Working across multiple operating systems isn't necessarily an advantage as it causes fragmentation, app, and support issues.

It's kind of why Apple is so successful today.
Not only that but if you want to buy a new phone and already have an Apple Watch, it's a big motivation to buy another iPhone.

TTTedP

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2017
if you're considering something non-Apple, my money goes to Garmin.

Garmin Vivofit for kids; 1 year battery life, waterproof, and kid friendly app. I also recently switched from my Apple Watch to a Garmin FR935. Awesome watch. 3 week battery! and still works with Health Kit.

Fitibt; 2-5 day charging intervals, not great reliability in the past, and still no Health Kit integration. DOA.

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
For me, no thanks but these are great looking. Nice job FitBit! Ilove the all black (bottom right) and GF loves the purple band.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
my first reaction to the ace is that $100 is kind of expensive for a kids activity tracker.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
And this changes what? You seem to imply that Fitbit is a fashion or technology leader.
Not implying they are a leader in anything. A lot of people bash the Apple Watch because it's not round, and round watches are apparently better (so they claim). Therefore, they should also be disappointed in the FitBit watch since it's also not round.

jecaron99

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Nice looking although I prefer the rugged outdoor look better. The price is right that's for sure. Did not see anything about water resistance. I know from experience, Fitbit's of the past were not waterproof, that's why I went with the Garmin Fenix 3.

Swimproof & Tracks Swims
Water resistant to 50M for wear in the pool or rain. Tracks laps, duration and calories burned during swim workouts.

Reactions: bopajuice

karranz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
All I see is companies trying to copy each other...velcro bands? we have that!....water resistance? we have that too...and on....the wow factor is completly lost. Ten years ago I already measured my hr with a polar band, nothing has changed...so fitbit/apple what do you have now?....sleep tracking...well that could be interesing if I didn't have to charge the watch every night. Nonsense feature. True innovation, "WOW" innovation was lost when Steve Jobs passed away....sadly.

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Now that the Apple Watch has been available almost 3 years on the market, I think fitbit has been studying Apples trend in design somewhat. I don’t think this is a bad looking watch by any means, but it will be very difficult to measure up against the Apple Watch in terms of quality of hardware and integration of the watchOS with the iPhone With all its added capabilitities.

Last edited:
Reactions: manu chao

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Not only that but if you want to buy a new phone and already have an Apple Watch, it's a big motivation to buy another iPhone.
And Apple isn't doing it to screw people. They do it because it's the best way. I can't tell you how many issues I have getting everything working right on my work PC. I STILL can't get the HDMI to work to my monitor through the Dell docking station. IT is stumped too.

Mick-Mac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Wow, that is one dorky looking watch. It looks out of proportion to the band, too square with far too much of a frame around the active screen. It kind of has a 1950's tv set look to it - big square with a small screen - and that's not a compliment.
I agree that when the square LCD screen is fully viewable with a light colored image (like in that Yoga picture on the watch) that it looks like you say (it was also the first thing I noticed). I don't own an Apple Watch so I went to their website to see if their watch also looked the same. I couldn't actually find any image on Apple's website that showed this - they carefully make sure to only show black backgrounds so you don't notice it. I'm guessing you might not have made your comment if FitBit didn't show the watch face with that Yoga picture.

Reactions: Glmnet1

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Great. Now we’ve gone and bought the Ionic at Xmas. This lot have better security than Apple regards new products otherwise ‘would’ve waited for this. Ah well.