Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Monday added over two dozen new video workout sessions to Fitness+, continuing a recent trend of building out the catalog of its fledgling subscription service on a weekly basis.

apple-fitness-plus-burn-bar.jpg

Fitness+ launched December 14, 2020, and is designed to help Apple Watch owners keep fit through a series of guided workouts that are available across multiple workout categories. As you follow along with Fitness+ routines, the Apple Watch tracks your movement, workout length, calories burned, heart rate, and more, just like other workouts.

In the latest motivational introductory video, trainer Bakari introduces the new workouts like so:
Here at Fitness+ more than two dozen workouts just dropped, like Sam's 30-minute treadmill which challenges your endurance, whether you're walking or running. For a workout that needs no equipment at all, I teach 10-minute hit with four total body moves. Each move is inspired by different sports like basketball and soccer, which go perfectly with the song "No Hands" by Waka Flocka Flame. That's what's new at Fitness+ to help you close your rings. Let's go!
In all, Apple has added 26 new Fitness+ workouts covering all video categories, which include cycling, strength, yoga, HIIT, core, dance, treadmill, mindful cool down, and rowing. That takes the total number of workouts in the Fitness+ catalog to 293 so far.

Fitness+ costs $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year, which breaks down to $6.67 per month. For that price, up to six family members total can use the Fitness+ service. Fitness+ is also included in the Apple One Premier bundle, which is priced at $29.99 per month and also offers ‌‌Apple Music‌‌, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and 2TB iCloud storage.

Article Link: Fitness+ Subscribers Now Have Nearly 300 Workouts to Choose From

Last edited:

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
This is good and I use the service regularly because it's "free" as part of what I'm already subscribed to. But Apple needs to up their game in terms of user experience. People want to list workouts by difficulty, they want to know if HIIT includes jumping or not, they want to know if strength workouts use heavy or not heavy dumbbells.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
I tried it but it’s far too limited. If I wanted to do a lower body workout, there was no way of filtering them to find the right one. The lack of AirPlay 2 support with TVs is a massive limitation. With some types of exercise, it’s simply not safe trying to perform the workout with only a tiny screen. Hopefully Apple will sort out the UX issues and allow AirPlay in a future updated.

IgiveyoutheFBI

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
UK
This is good and I use the service regularly because it's "free" as part of what I'm already subscribed to. But Apple needs to up their game in terms of user experience. People want to list workouts by difficulty, they want to know if HIIT includes jumping or not, they want to know if strength workouts use heavy or not heavy dumbbells.
They want to be able to display it on a TV, even if you don't have the most recent Apple TV or Ipad.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
A better way to sort / filter / discover those 300 workouts would go a long way. It’s starting to feel like wading through YouTube.

It’s an especially poor experience on Apple TV. There’s no way to expand workout details, so you can’t see critical info (like the weight of dumbbells you need). Filtering by equipment would be even better.

You also can’t access your ‘My Workouts’ from Apple TV. So far, I find the experience frustrating all-around.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I guess but if there are jumping exercises don’t jump just do a non jump variant. For strength erxercuses use whatever weights are appropriate for your body make up and fitness level. Ie just swap them out.

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Why are they always smiling in those videos?

Is it like the Stepford Wives of exercise?

All kidding aside, my spouse really likes the workouts and has done a lot of them. I've done one so far, but do bike or treadmill without it fine.

"Super excited?" No, nice product, yes.

Last edited:

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
It’s weird that you can airplay the preview but not the actual workout. It’s super annoying watching these on my small phone screen.

Also I wish you could identify which equipment you have for personalized recommendations. And if you live in an apartment where you’re worried about humoring noise. I.e. I don’t have a treadmill but I have these weights. That’s missing from many other workout programs and would set them apart.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
It’s good but I’m not totally convinced.

My Workout list doesn’t map between my iPhone and the ATV

No way of finding out the body parts it hits

Other than that it’s ok, some are too short. There are barely any over 30 mins, but I guess they’re meant to be short and sweet.

I’ve opted to use it a little with my 5m walk and my normal weights workout. I’ll probably just be doing Yoga and other body weight exercises.

jhechtmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
Can anyone identify the brand of treadmill they are using in the pic? Is Apple secretly making exercise equipment that synchs better with Fitness+ and iPhone and Apple Watch? Mac built-in with monitor? or like Tesla, inflate the treadmill or bike tires to the desired level? Thoughts that make me say, Hmmm.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
A bit out of the loop but is this just a bunch of videos you can watch? Does some workout videos justify paying the same per month as you would for Netflix or Disney+?

In the Mail+ rumor article someone mentioned Apple would just create a subscription for updates they would normally have given out for free, this seems like one of those things

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Personally, I'm really liking Apple Fitness.

Last year, I used Jo Wicks HIIT (25 minute) workouts to get me fit so this year I chose Apple Fitness to sustain my fitness and its working great for me.

I use my 2020 iPad Air screen which I find more that adequate to see what's going on.

The only negatives I have is that there are not enough 30 minute HIIT sessions (I can only see around 6) and also, there is no 'level select' when you filter for the different exercises (you can only filter for duration, trainer and music genre for each exercise type).

I would like to see the sessions filtered for 'beginner, intermediate and advanced' as currently its pot luck as to what you get (some of the HIIT, Core and Strength sessions are easier/harder/better than others) but other than that, I'm enjoying this and have kept my subscription going passed the initial 'free' trial period.

?

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
As someone who has a Peloton and uses their strength workouts, I can say the Apple Fitness+ app is still inferior. The watch sync is nice, but the features, sorting and filters are not nearly enough. For example, Peloton just added another cool feature called stacks where I can quickly go through and build a workout from a from a few different classes (5 minute warm up, 15 minute hill climb, 20 minute upper body strength, 10 minute cool down) for example.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
A bit out of the loop but is this just a bunch of videos you can watch? Does some workout videos justify paying the same per month as you would for Netflix or Disney+?

In the Mail+ rumor article someone mentioned Apple would just create a subscription for updates they would normally have given out for free, this seems like one of those things
Try out the free trial if you have the hardware and see what you think! It syncs in real-time with your watch, a pretty good bit of variety. And I am planning on buying a year of it for $79, which works out to around ~$6/month. For me it's been worth it and the first time since owning an Apple Watch that I have closed all my rings every day this consistently.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
The problem with this service is that most people even remotely serious about fitness, have their own fitness routine, their own equipment or go to a gym and will be annoyed at the ridiculous scripts and smiles. This seems to be geared towards those who came up with getting in shape as their New Years Resolution and who will quit using it after two months.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
As someone who has a Peloton and uses their strength workouts, I can say the Apple Fitness+ app is still inferior. The watch sync is nice, but the features, sorting and filters are not nearly enough. For example, Peloton just added another cool feature called stacks where I can quickly go through and build a workout from a from a few different classes (5 minute warm up, 15 minute hill climb, 20 minute upper body strength, 10 minute cool down) for example.
I don't disagree with you.

I have never used Peloton but I did look into them before going with Apple Fitness. Peloton does look great, but, its far too overpriced. Their machines (the cycles, treadmills and rowers) are in their thousands of ££ and that's on top of the monthly subscriptions they want you to pay.

I would say Peloton seems to only appeal to those in the higher income brackets.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
The problem with this service is that most people even remotely serious about fitness, have their own fitness routine, their own equipment or go to a gym and will be annoyed at the ridiculous scripts and smiles. This seems to be geared towards those who came up with getting in shape as their New Years Resolution and who will quit using it after two months.
I have to be honest, I have been doing a lot of running prior to this service and there is something about running with someone talking to you the whole time that makes it fly by so much faster. Though I agree this may not be the case for everyone, I have really liked it.

aperture01

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
Agreed here. That said Peloton has been in the game a it longer. I'm sure apple will be adding additional features. The difficulty one I definitely need. I find the workouts too short or easy at times. I love the gamification though. It really does take me back to dance dance revolution without the pad. So that is a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.