Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
I don't disagree with you.

I have never used Peloton but I did look into them before going with Apple Fitness. Peloton does look great, but, its far too overpriced. Their machines (the cycles, treadmills and rowers) are in their thousands of ££ and that's on top of the monthly subscriptions they want you to pay.

I would say Peloton seems to only appeal to those in the higher income brackets.
The Peloton App subscription is $13 a month. You don't need to spend thousands on a Peloton branded bike or treadmill to get a good workout.

Reactions: Dino F and sonshole

sonshole

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020

I have never used Peloton but I did look into them before going with Apple Fitness. Peloton does look great, but, its far too overpriced. Their machines (the cycles, treadmills and rowers) are in their thousands of ££ and that's on top of the monthly subscriptions they want you to pay.

I would say Peloton seems to only appeal to those in the higher income brackets.
You don’t need a peloton machine to use the peloton app. And I can agree with the previous, Peloton is far better than Apple Fitness+, at least currently. The reviews and difficult rating is a HUGE feature that Apple needs to add. Also the titling of the classes is very vague ... ”Strength with Greg” for every Greg strength video is weird. Peloton really clarifies in their titles what the class exactly covers.

In summary, Apple Fitness+ feels very corporate, produced and ... fake.. to me. Peloton has a sense of authenticity that is hard to manufacture. Mainly due to their instructors I guess. Maybe in time, but its hard to build a service that makes you “excited” to do one of your favourite trainers classes.

Reactions: ELman and Dino F

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I'm using this only because the gym is currently on lockdown.

But i liked some of these trainings more than expected. will probably try out a few group sessions my gym offers, once things are back to normal.

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Apple Fitness+ is not bad but it still lacks in many areas. Hopefully it will improve over time.
My Apple Fitness + Wish List
1. The ability to choose a workout by difficulty level. More difficult workouts. Not everyone is a beginner.
2. Music toggle on /off so you are not stuck to listening to a genre that you are not into.
3. Use Fitness + without an Apple Watch. I have a spare iPad I use on a bike for workouts. The Apple ID on the iPad is part of my family group. Because the Apple ID on the spare iPad has no Apple Watch associated with it, I cannot even install the Fitness Plus app on the iPad.

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
This article reminded me, Apple has quite a few subscription based services now, and MacRumors should devote a section in their Buyers Guide to them. If anything it would be good just to keep track of all the subscription costs, features, and bundles.Off the to of my head there is this Fitness+ service, AppleTV+, iTunes, Apple Arcade, iCloud storage. I am sure there are others, too.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I’m still looking for a treadmill, and the industry is driving me crazy. I’d love something like the Nordic track incline trainers but without having a massive control panel. I don’t need a screen or fans or all the extras that drive the price up. I just want a decent motor with sufficient incline and decline options.

Reactions: DrKarl

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

Also, peloton treadmills can not be used on carpet or with a treadmill mat. They have to be placed directly on hard flooring.

Reactions: Dino F

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
It’s weird that you can airplay the preview but not the actual workout. It’s super annoying watching these on my small phone screen.

Also I wish you could identify which equipment you have for personalized recommendations. And if you live in an apartment where you’re worried about humoring noise. I.e. I don’t have a treadmill but I have these weights. That’s missing from many other workout programs and would set them apart.

sonshole

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
The problem with this service is that most people even remotely serious about fitness, have their own fitness routine, their own equipment or go to a gym and will be annoyed at the ridiculous scripts and smiles. This seems to be geared towards those who came up with getting in shape as their New Years Resolution and who will quit using it after two months.
This is such a subjective opinion. This type of service works well for a lot of people or else Peloton wouldn’t be worth 4 billion dollars. Being “fit” and “healthy” doesn’t require a $90 gym membership and deadlifting 300 pounds every day. Doing core, body weight and yoga workouts can be amazing workouts to keep your body moving.

TheG5Man

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012

Apple on Monday added over two dozen new video workout sessions to Fitness+, continuing a recent trend of building out the catalog of its fledgling subscription service on a weekly basis.

apple-fitness-plus-burn-bar.jpg

Fitness+ launched in December 14, 2020, and is designed to help Apple Watch owners keep fit through a series of guided workouts that are available across multiple workout categories. As you follow along with Fitness+ routines, the Apple Watch tracks your movement, workout length, calories burned, heart rate, and more, just like other workouts.

In the latest motivational introductory video, trainer Bakari introduces the new workouts like so:
In all, Apple has added 26 new Fitness+ workouts covering all video categories, which include cycling, strength, yoga, HIIT, core, dance, treadmill, mindful cool down, and rowing. That takes the total number of workouts in the Fitness+ catalog to 293 so far.

Fitness+ costs $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year, which breaks down to $6.67 per month. For that price, up to six family members total can use the Fitness+ service. Fitness+ is also included in the Apple One Premier bundle, which is priced at $29.99 per month and also offers ‌‌Apple Music‌‌, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and 2TB iCloud storage.

Article Link: Fitness+ Subscribers Now Have Nearly 300 Workouts to Choose From
I am hoping they add some resistance band training. I've found it to be really quite effective for me - having taken many YouTube courses from places like HASFit. Would seem like a natural fit to many of their categories of videos. All in all, I am really enjoying Fitness+. Anyone else have grey heart rate more often than normal using this platform? My Series 6 really seems to have a hard time consistently holding on to my HR. More often than not when I taking a treadmill workout...

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
I love Apple Fitness+. It's made for someone like me: 60 something and totally immersed in the Apple ecosystem. I can modify any workout to match my intensity level and they fit right into my other days doing golf specific workouts (or walking a golf course). And the mindful cooldowns are nice.

Reactions: DrKarl and TheG5Man

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
This type of service works well for a lot of people or else Peloton wouldn’t be worth 4 billion dollars. Being “fit” and “healthy” doesn’t require a $90 gym membership

Question is how much of that 4 billions is based on just the same "signed on January 2nd" membership that are the bulk of most brick&mortar gyms.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
This is such a subjective opinion. This type of service works well for a lot of people or else Peloton wouldn’t be worth 4 billion dollars. Being “fit” and “healthy” doesn’t require a $90 gym membership and deadlifting 300 pounds every day. Doing core, body weight and yoga workouts can be amazing workouts to keep your body moving.
Of course it is subjective, it is an opinion. My gym membership is $10 and my back would freak out if I dared dead lift 300 lbs. Hopefully this service works out for a lot of people. The whole huge fake smile and script is just a huge turnoff and I question whether this service really takes off.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I've subscribed to this but I hardly use it due to the lack of detail on each class.

I'm also on Peloton where you can search classes with so much more precision. It's not about Apple 'getting there' they should already be there when it comes to something simple like filtering classes.

Right now for example, if I want a HIIT class the title just says 'HIIT with (instructor)' - not a great level of detail.

I mean come on Apple, no detailed plan showing the moves or timings of each set and structure? The basics are missing.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
This is good and I use the service regularly because it's "free" as part of what I'm already subscribed to. But Apple needs to up their game in terms of user experience. People want to list workouts by difficulty, they want to know if HIIT includes jumping or not, they want to know if strength workouts use heavy or not heavy dumbbells.

A better way to sort / filter / discover those 300 workouts would go a long way. It’s starting to feel like wading through YouTube.

It’s an especially poor experience on Apple TV. There’s no way to expand workout details, so you can’t see critical info (like the weight of dumbbells you need). Filtering by equipment would be even better.

You also can’t access your ‘My Workouts’ from Apple TV. So far, I find the experience frustrating all-around.

Apple's services seem to always have bad/unintuitive UI where it doesn't work the way or have the features that you would expect it to. Looks like that trend continues.

Ian619

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
This is good and I use the service regularly because it's "free" as part of what I'm already subscribed to. But Apple needs to up their game in terms of user experience. People want to list workouts by difficulty, they want to know if HIIT includes jumping or not, they want to know if strength workouts use heavy or not heavy dumbbells.
Agreed. I’ve been using it regularly and I enjoy it, but some tweaks are needed, especially as the library grows. I’ve been just alternating strength on one day and HIIT or Cycling the next day, but it would be nice to have suggested routines so I’m hitting all muscle groups, etc. or to be able to tell which cycling workouts are interval based, etc. For example one week I did 3 different 30 minute strength workouts and each had plenty of leg exercises and shoulder presses, but nothing for chest.

veritas238

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Boston, MA
For anyone who wishes to use Fitness+ on their compatible iPad pro, but does not own an Apple Watch series 3 or later, just know that Apple will not allow you to download the app and watch the videos without having series 3, even though you can download the App and watch the videos just fine on your iPhone. According to Apple Support, there are "limitations with the iPad that prevent the app from functioning without a series 3."

This is total BS. My wife has a series 3, so I signed in to her apple id on my iPad pro, downloaded the app, and signed back into my apple id. Wouldn't you know.... it works just fine without an apple watch series 3 or later. This is just another ploy by apple to force you to upgrade your hardware to use one of their services. It's juvenile.

ricardodong

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
It is a shame that I can't airplay to any TV without Apple TV. The video looks small even on my ipad pro 11. Anyone knows why Apple doesn't allow airplay without Apple TV?

Reactions: DrKarl

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Yeah, the two feature requests I see are:

• let folks partner up (i.e., do a workout together with your spouse)
  • make workouts easier to search by attributes like length, required gear, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.