Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors suggest Apple will announce new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models as soon as next month. The new iPads will be the first update to the iPad Pro series since April 2021 and will be an overall incremental upgrade that brings new capabilities and functionality to the highest-end iPad.

iPad-Pro-Big-Ol-Logo.jpg

According to reports, Apple is planning an event for October to announce the new iPad Pro models, a new baseline iPad, and updates to the Mac. As we approach October, we've outlined the five biggest features and changes we might see for the upcoming iPad Pro.

Wireless Charging

The next iPad Pro is expected to include some form of wireless charging capability, according to a report from Bloomberg. Per reports, Apple has tested a glass back instead of an aluminum enclosure or using a larger glass Apple logo for the upcoming iPads, which would allow for wireless charging, although Apple has experienced some challenges implementing the technology. Apple is also reportedly considering adding MagSafe to the iPad, but how it would be implemented remains unknown.

New Connector

ipad-pro-magic-keyboard-white.jpg

The upcoming iPad Pro will reportedly feature two new four-pin connectors of some sort, distinguished from the current three-pin Smart Connector in the iPad Pro. The current three-pin Smart Connector in the iPad Pro is used to connect accessories such as the Magic Keyboard. The inclusion of an updated four-pin connector could expand the type of accessories supported on the iPad.

M2 Chip

m2-feature-black.jpg

The current iPad Pro features the M1 Apple silicon chip announced in November 2020. The M1 chip was the Apple's first Mac-specific custom processor, and a few months later it also came to the iPad Pro. For the upcoming iPad Pro, Apple is expected to use the newer M2 chip, announced this past June. The M2 chip is up to 20% faster than the M1 chip, according to Apple.

In the iPad Pro, the M2 chip will power features such as Stage Manager, coming with iPadOS 16, which lets users link an iPad to an external display and have overlapping windows. iPadOS 16 will be released in October, according to Apple, most likely alongside the updated iPad Pro.

New Apple Pencil?

ipadproapplepencil.jpg

A video in April 2021 allegedly showcased the third-generation Apple Pencil with a glossy finish and a redesigned tip. Despite the alleged leak, Apple has not announced a new Apple Pencil since the second-generation model debuted in 2018, making it almost four years old.

It's been over a year since we've heard any significant rumors about a new Apple Pencil, so it's unclear where things stand at the moment. If there is indeed a new Apple Pencil coming, we aren't expecting major design changes but there could be some improvements to latency thanks to internal hardware upgrades and software optimizations.

Reverse Wireless Charging?

According to Bloomberg, Apple has tested reverse wireless charging for the iPad Pro, which would allow iPad users to charge their AirPods or iPhone by laying them on the back of the iPad. Rumors have suggested Apple eventually plans to bring bilateral charging to the ‌iPhone‌ for accessories such as AirPods, but that has not yet happened.

Article Link: Five Features Rumored for the New iPad Pro Expected Next Month

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
In summary, all rather small evolutionary updates. Bringing mini-LED or OLED screens to iPad 11” would be much more useful, IMO. Personally, do not see any point in updating my Air 4 until it goes OLED, all the rest of it works just fine.

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
I really don’t know what to expect, so that could make it an interesting event. I wonder if they will make the event live. I’ve had enough of the videos — and for crying out loud, I want to see more Federighi!

evanmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
With a new four-pin connector, is there any chance the current magic keyboard will still work?

laurieballard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2016
Where can they go with the Ipad now in terms of hardware?

M1 to M2 is utterly pointless as nothing takes advantage of it yet.

Who uses a camera on the iPad? Probably a few people but I would wager its very few so a camera bump is unlikely to be a reason to upgrade.

More base storage perhaps but lets face it, that would come at a cost.

I have the M1 11" Pro and I don't see myself upgrading until I absolutely have to, i.e. if the battery starts to struggle or I break it.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Would love to see the camera moved to the side so it's in the middle in landscape mode.

(The silly thing about having the camera on top in portrait is that the iPad cover doesn't even allow you to prop the iPad up vertically, so you are either required to hold it in your hands or have the camera be way to one side.)

Last edited:

displayator

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Geneva
Still using my old ipad pro 10.5" the only reason I did not switch to the 11" M1 is because the 13" had such a better display, and I figured it would come to the small one the next time they updated it. I really hope that's the case.

But I guess I'll actually miss the "large" chin and forehead that you can use to hold the ipad and the touchID. They should add it in the power button like on the other flat-sided ipads.

Reactions: allseeingi’s

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The only thing I am looking forward to is how the M2 runs genshin. Maybe those couple of extra GPU cores can help? But glass back? The connector gonna go elsewhere, or it is a cutout specifically for the so-called “wireless charging”. Aside from that, I don’t see why anyone using M1 iPad Pro to want to get a potentially heavier M2 iPad Pro.

jongriff

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Lawford, UK
I’m looking to upgrade my 12.9 2018 so interested to see what they release. I am wondering if the new 4 pin connector could allow a Magic Keyboard to charge via MagSafe and enable reverse wireless charging. Would mean no glass back but can only wireless charge when in the case.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
1. Bugs
2. Bugs
3. Bugs
4. Bugs
5. Bugs
This is true.

I need to update my pre Silicon Pro, but watching the **** show that is the iPhone 14/iOS16 launch, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just buying a 12.9" 2021 Pro…
At least we know what works and doesn't. Hardware wise it seems stable enough.

Edit:
Glass Back?
Please no.

Landscape Front camera?
Yes!

M2?
Meh.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Yeah, a glass back that‘ll easily shatter, even more so with the added weight of a glass back and then cost hundrets of dollars to repair. Sounds a little like the apple of late - but still, I hope it‘s just a stupid rumor. Maybe they‘ll just make the apple logo from glass and that‘s where you can then place your airpods?

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
In summary, all rather small evolutionary updates. Bringing mini-LCD or OLED screens to iPad 11” would be much more useful, IMO. Personally, do not see any point in updating my Air 4 until it goes OLED, all the rest of it works just fine.
or... dare I say, actual mouse support.
I know I know, it's asking a lot! those poor engineers only have 40+ years of useability standards to draw from...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.