Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
gwuMACaddict said:
I did think about it. And after thinking about it, i figured that it would take someone with below-average intelligence not to learn from their past experiences. All 12 experiences over the course of 4 months.

12 experiences over 4 YEARS... thank you for the continual intelligence insults, even tho you know nothing more about me than this. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Butler Trumpet said:
And how well does that work?, cause Ive been thinking about that.
Lets just say that it paid for itself within 6 months.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Peyton said:
12 experiences over 4 YEARS... thank you for the continual intelligence insults, even tho you know nothing more about me than this. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps your car is a bit more attention-getting. If a cop has to choose between pulling over a Ferrari or a Taurus, who do you think he's going to pull over? Also, color is a big factor. Red is an instant advertisement, "look at me!" I believe yellow comes in second. Blue and silver tend to be the last colors noticed.

Also, you may now be recognized by the local police and they are keeping a closer eye on you. Either way, very unlucky.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Peyton said:
I know it seems like its over the top, but it isn't. And my dad just goes to my court date with me, one of the priviledges of being a lawyer is you don't have to wait in the 2 hour line to be heard by a judge so that's why he goes.

I've had my license since 1988 and I've had 1 speeding ticket and no accidents.
In my opinion, your experience is mind-bogglingly "over the top".

No wonder my insurance is still so expensive.

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
FireArse said:
It does make me think abou the 50 or 55MPH limit you guys have in the States, if the vast majority of you lot dont follow it - why do you get your politicians to change it?!
Where did you get the idea that there was a 50-55mph limit in the us? Some roads do have a 50 or 55mph limit, but some also have 60, 70, and 80mph limits. Some states have roads with no posted limit, but require that you maintain a safe speed for the driving conditions.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Johnny Rico said:
Where did you get the idea that there was a 50-55mph limit in the us? Some roads do have a 50 or 55mph limit, but some also have 60, 70, and 80mph limits. Some states have roads with no posted limit, but require that you maintain a safe speed for the driving conditions.

Where are there 80MPH speed limits? I've never seen one that high. And just so you know, Montana has reinstated their speed limit as of 1999. (source)

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Oh, and my car (2000 Grand AM GT Coupe) rolled over to 100,000 miles the other day.... and I freakin missed it!!!!! %*&(*#&%

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
dejo said:
Parts of I-70 in Kansas have an 85mph speed limit.
The western segment. Took that route out to and back from Denver last year. Sweet. Lots of real "attractions" on the road side like "World's Largest Prairie Dog". :rolleyes:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Butler Trumpet said:
Thats crazy... i take a vacation there now..... that would be fun to do that legally!

Or at least they did when I drove through in 1998. I'll admit they may have been lowered since then.

But a portion of the I-25 between Castle Rock and south Denver is 75mph. And the left lane of this portion has a minimum speed of 55mph. This section constantly has people driving 90mph and is frequented by state police radar traps. But flashing lights doesn't help here since they are gunning for people headed in the same direction. I.E. I would need a way to warn the people behind me.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
evoluzione said:
personally, i won't do it. i'll flash my lights to warn of danger, but not for speeding.

if you are all too dumb to be caught by a cop then you deserve the consequences. i see way way way too many stupid drivers on the roads as it is, we don't need any more thank you.

i'm not saying i don't speed, i'm just saying look out for yourself, especially you people in your beemers and mercs etc who think you're the best driver in the world, completely oblivious to everything around you.

i recently got my very first speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago, and i drive fast everywhere, but i still consider myself a much safer/better driver than the majority, for a number of reasons too. not a bad return on 13 years of driving, the first half of which was spent street-racing (in England, with corners, none of this crappy drag racing you guys do here in the States, somethng where the driver rules, not just the car).

anyway, i'm sure i've made no friends in this thread, but think about it. a lot of places we do need the speed limits, especially as people are so piss poor at driving that they pull out in front of you. drive fast, if you're capable (most are NOT) and where it's safe to do so, and keep your eyes open for the cops, if they can see you, then you can also see them. learn to drive whilst looking at the road ahead, not 50 feet in front of you.

and for you, with the 12 tickets and the lawyer for a Dad, you are very very sad (read dangerous) and i hope you eventually do lose your licence.

I agree with some of what you say here. I think speed limits are set for reasons other than to give the cops something to ticket people for. I have no sympathy at all for people that get caught speeding. It is super easy not to get caught. Drive the speed limit! That being said, I still flash my lights at people if I know there is a cop around. I would think the police would like people to do this since it causes people to slow down.

And for those of you that want to drive as fast as you can, just remember that anything over 60-65 mph sucks down the gas like crazy.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
evoluzione said:
i hear ya, and yeah, i've no problem with that really, i've never encountered those long straight roads yet, so i can only imagine how frustrating it can be when you should be able to do 80+ with no problems.

Ah the time where cruise control is a life saver. On my long drives home (600 miles) and other trips like it cruise control is nice. I just set it my speed is maintained with out worry of increasing speed because of a heavy foot.

Last semster I spent about 1k taking car of 3 speeding tickets I got in 2weeks, 2 of which in a single day one of which was a blant speed trip and I really dont respect towns that run things like that because they dont care about safety but only money. Come on I counted at least 7 city cops for one town doing that day. It was not to slow down teh speeders but to make money. Other one I swear the cop clock the guy next to me but because he slamed on his breaks and I was passing the car on the other side I get the ticket. But minus that one 2 week strech I hadnt been pulled over for anything for about 3 years.

Either way those 3 tickets did cool me off speed wise for a while. Now I just set my cruise at about 75 in a 70 (car speed is 72-73 after adjusting for the speedo inaccurcy).

As for the topic I have flashed my headlights before but normally when it would be useful I dont really see any other cars. But I will say that the flashing has help after xmas when I was driving on TX highway 287 on my way back to college. One guy flash his headlights and the next thing I knew my radar dector starting going nuts. I get to the top of a small rise in the road and low and be hold there is a Texas Troop sitting there clocking people.

I flash mine after for a few people. General the rule I go by is it depends on how the cop is set up and if I have any respect for the town I am driving though.

As for speeding I have my own rules on it and opinan. Speeding in a school zone or residental neiborhood is just unexpetible and needs to be crack down hard on. It is a huge safety issue and in my own home neibhoor I have skided to a stop several times with not much extra room because a kid darted out into the street not seeing me. It scary every single time and I know if I was going over the limit I would of hit the kid.

As for Highway keep it safe. 80-90 mph doesnt bother me if there is not much traffic on the road. Yes I am guilt of breaking that one and pulling 100+ at some point in time (First ticket of the 3 I was glad the ticket was only for doing 81 mph in a 70 instead of the 90-100mph I was doing about a 1/2 mile back. I dont disagree with that ticket at all I deserverd it big time).

That all being said Texas state law for highways says no where in it about the posted speed limit being the ticketible speed. The law states that if you are going faster than 85% of the traffic you are going to fast and are ticketble. Now I ahve seen that 85% speed be 45mph in a 70 (rainday) and as fast at 90mph in the same 70 (it was pretty cool doing that speed and yes I had a cop in the lane next to me matching the pace). It a safety issue. The speed limits are the suggested safe maxium speed.
But there are times where going to speed limit is dangous because it is 2 slow. To really understand that it would require driving in side a major city where you learn quickly that the speed limit doesnt matter. 9 time out of 10 it around the posted speed limit. I had people argue with me over that saying if everyone else is speeding you shouldnt. He went to houston to work a coop and tell me he now understand what I mean and the speed limit doesnt matter. You go the speed of traffic. Best example I have to illistrate this is from when I drove home for spring break (houston more so a little town just south of houston). From about 20mile north of the Beltway 8 to about where I cleared the south side of it I honestly dont know what my speed was. I never look at my speedo and I would of been stupid to do so. It was pretty heavy traffic and my attention was keeping track of all the cars around me and making sure I didnt take a wrong exit. Distance bettween cars is about 1.5-2 car lenghts quick offen the lanes next to you are not clear. Oh yeah and you have cars making lane changes into that 1.5-2 car lenths of room bettween you and the guy in frount of you. On top of that you also have to make the same moves. I know what my speed was before I stop looking at that was around 65. I know I hit the 60mph area still doing 65. But after that I dont know. It was all attention on the road and that was taking everything up.

Moral of the story. The speed one should be going is NOT what the speed limit is but what traffic is doing. That is the safest speed. Most of the time it is within 5 miles of the posted limit. But I have seen it break 20 miles both ways. (record was 85-90 mph in a 55 . That was just a strange day). Any one who thinks other wise is a danger to the road. There was a reason when houston drop it speed limit to 55 for a while traffic accedents INCREASED on houston highways. A lot of people still kept doing 70 while others drop to 55. People did not follow the first rule of driving on city highways and that is GO WITH THE SPEED OF TRAFFIC.

Now if you dont agree with that go drive in a major metroplontian area for a while during heavy traffic and you figure out real quickly why I stating that. There is to much else that is going to require you eyes and attention other then the speedo. IN heavy traffic you eye more than likely will never drift down the the gauges. You be watching you mirrors and the road more than anything else like you should.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
parrothead said:
And for those of you that want to drive as fast as you can, just remember that anything over 60-65 mph sucks down the gas like crazy.

Very true. it a pretty good size difference. Heck there is a noticble differnce bettween 70 and 75. At 70 mph my car will pull 32-33mpg. Now up that speed to 75 and I pull around 29mpg.

C

CompUser

Lucky where I live in CT is right on the boarder of Massachusetts, so the police hang out near the state line to catch all the people speeding from Mass.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
yellow said:
I've had my license since 1988 and I've had 1 speeding ticket and no accidents.
In my opinion, your experience is mind-bogglingly "over the top".

No wonder my insurance is still so expensive.

shouldn't effect your insurance at all, since it none of them have ever been reported to insurance companies due to paying them off, traffic school and getting out of them.

But yeah, back to flashing your lights, and not Peyton's criminal record...:rolleyes:

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Timepass said:
Moral of the story. The speed one should be going is NOT what the speed limit is but what traffic is doing. That is the safest speed. Most of the time it is within 5 miles of the posted limit. But I have seen it break 20 miles both ways. (record was 85-90 mph in a 55 . That was just a strange day). Any one who thinks other wise is a danger to the road. There was a reason when houston drop it speed limit to 55 for a while traffic accedents INCREASED on houston highways. A lot of people still kept doing 70 while others drop to 55. People did not follow the first rule of driving on city highways and that is GO WITH THE SPEED OF TRAFFIC.

I heartily agree with you that in heavy traffic you should around the same speed as the other drivers. I have seen many times the idiot going 40 when everyone else is going 75. However, whether or not a small town is set up as a speed trap shouldn't matter. If you see the speed limit and you know that it is a trap then slow down, it is simple really. I grew up in Texas and I know the exact type of town you are talking about. It is extremely annoying to have to slow down to 25 after going 65 all day. But it is even more annoying to have to pay the fines and increased insurance.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
parrothead said:
I heartily agree with you that in heavy traffic you should around the same speed as the other drivers. I have seen many times the idiot going 40 when everyone else is going 75. However, whether or not a small town is set up as a speed trap shouldn't matter. If you see the speed limit and you know that it is a trap then slow down, it is simple really. I grew up in Texas and I know the exact type of town you are talking about. It is extremely annoying to have to slow down to 25 after going 65 all day. But it is even more annoying to have to pay the fines and increased insurance.

yeah I know. slow down for them and stuff but it does not chang the fact I have no respect for that town. They clearly care more about money than they do safety. I dont have much respect for their police for or the town it that simple.

The one I got the ticket in had a very annoying way of setting up there speed limit signs. It went 70,65,55,45, then to 35 for about 1-2 blocks and then up to 40. I missed the 35 sign (and I was watching my speed like a hawk) but I saw the 40 one up the road. I got clock doing 43, I was ajusting to go from 45-40. That little town did not put a 45 in the diretion cars are coming from so it easier to get people in the 35.

It just a very poor way to do it. And I just dont have respect for a town or a police force that is just after speeding tickets. It shows a lack of public safety and the want for public money.]

For my drive home I know the 2 areas I have to watch my speed. The big one is know as Post. The other is Highway 287 just because the speed slower than it is on I-20 or I-45.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
mactastic said:
And here I thought this would be a thread about boobs...

MaskedBoobie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.