Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reznick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
It's official. Apple's decision to move iOS to a flat design style was the right move!

Just take a look at all the featured apps on the app store. They're absolutely beautiful. Flat design has removed the superfluous, and made all apps that have adopted the style rich with simplicity and beauty.

The world is better because of this shift. Digital interfaces are now more beautiful than ever. Bringing more smiles to more peoples faces.

It's official: Apple was right again.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It's official. Apple's decision to move iOS to a flat design style was the right move!

Just take a look at all the featured apps on the app store. They're absolutely beautiful. Flat design has removed the superfluous, and made all apps that have adopted the style rich with simplicity and beauty.

The world is better because of this shift. Digital interfaces are now more beautiful than ever. Bringing more smiles to more peoples faces.

Both designs are good. I like simplicity, but do think that some aspects of iOS 7 are completely dumb. Seriously, why must I have dots rather than signal bars?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only "official" thing about anything of this sort is that it's pretty much subjective and personal opinion and not much more. So not much of anything official whatsoever.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Both designs are good. I like simplicity, but do think that some aspects of iOS 7 are completely dumb. Seriously, why must I have dots rather than signal bars?

What difference does (for example) 3 dots out of 5 make compared to 3 bars out of 5? None. That's what! It's purely aesthetic. If dots verses bars confuses you- that's the real problem right there.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I've got an old iPod on iOS 6 and it's like a dark dungeon compared to iOS7 - while I didn't love the design straight away, I have grown to love it, and feel better about it. Especially now that they have ironed our most of the bugs.

Hopefully iOS8 is the same, just more refined.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What difference does (for example) 3 dots out of 5 make compared to 3 bars out of 5? None. That's what! It's purely aesthetic. If dots verses bars confuses you- that's the real problem right there.
If they don't make a difference and bars are the industry standard when it comes to
signal strength then why change them even for looks aside from basically change for the sake of change and nothing more.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
If they don't make a difference and bars are the industry standard when it comes to
signal strength then why change them even for looks aside from basically change for the sake of change and nothing more.

If you would know iOS 7 then you also would know that Apple is using many circles throughout the OS. It's an aspect of the whole design.;)

.X.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2014
If flat is so good, then how come you have to explain that to everyone?

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin

I do believe the dots were what was originally in line for the first iPhone's software to display signal strength, but got changed to bars at some point. Somebody at Apple (Ive perhaps?) obviously preferred the dots.

Personally, I quite like them

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

The dots certainly don't confuse me, they just look gash.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

It makes no difference but it was a change for the sake of change. In fact they take up slightly more space than the signal bars. If they would of used white signal bars it would have looked great.

And yes... I can read signal dots! :D

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
It makes no difference but it was a change for the sake of change. In fact they take up slightly more space than the signal bars. If they would of used white signal bars it would have looked great.

It was not...... You didn't notice all the circles throughout the OS?! It's part of the design language.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Just take a look at all the featured apps on the app store. They're absolutely beautiful [...] rich with simplicity and beauty. [...] more beautiful than ever.

I would agree that they look good. The question remains whether they are always as usable and enjoyable to use as they could be...to me that's the difference between designing a magazine (or Metro signs, where MS took their inspiration from) and a UI.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Nice that Apple gets to decide this for me.

I would FaceTime and tell them myself how I dislike iOS 7 but that function has been removed to try and pressure users like myself to goose-step.

Even though I am the customer and I was the one who decided to purchase my phone based on what software it came with at the time.

Disabling features to pressure users into conforming to the Jonny world, is not something I am any longer willing to support.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Surely subjective is personal? ;)
Reiterates the point even though in a redundant manner.

----------

It was not...... You didn't notice all the circles throughout the OS?! It's part of the design language.
How come they left the battery well alone and didn't do the circles there if it's part of the design language?

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013

The 3rd party apps look great now, I'll give that one, but Apple's default apps look like **** now (save for the weather app).

Too much white space, it looks sterile and dull. They may have gotten rid of the unnecessary textures but they had nothing better to replace them with. Hopefully Apple will figure out what to do thanks to the developers.

----------

And yes... I can read signal dots! :D

The dots are easier to see at a glance but they are a space waster. Hopefully they will reduce the size slightly and maybe give users the option to view signal strength as traditional bars.

----------

If you would know iOS 7 then you also would know that Apple is using many circles throughout the OS. It's an aspect of the whole design.;)

Why isn't the wifi icon a bunch of circles then?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To both of you, how would you display the wifi or battery with circles? Thanks for ignoring common sense ;)
Same way that you can with the signal
strength. Let's take the battery, have 4 dots, each one becoming empty means the battery is down 25%. Thanks for ignoring something that is simple and straightforward. ;)

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Same way that you can with the signal
strength. Let's take the battery, have 4 dots, each one becoming empty means the battery is down 25%. Thanks for ignoring something that is simple and straightforward. ;)

Hmm I don't want to discuss this even further.. People like you will always find something to moan about. If you don't want to see this and are saying that you would display the battery as 4 dots, I'm happy you are no iOS designer.

PS: looking forward to OSX 10.10 :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmm I don't want to discuss this even further.. People like you will always find something to moan about. If you don't want to see this and are saying that you would display the battery as 4 dots, I'm happy you are no iOS designer.

PS: looking forward to OSX 10.10 :p
I'm saying that your explanation about the circular design being the driving factor factor behind it has enough outlying elements throughout the OS to simply say that it's actually the driving factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.