Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I'm not familiar with a "double SSD heatsink".
l0T6dZf.png

It's a highlighted feature of my motherboard, there is a thermal pad between the SSD and the first smaller heatsink with the fins. Then the bigger block just sits on top, so for now I've removed that.

Thank you for the detailed explanation on fans, I will keep an eye on temps and possibly pick up the S12A fans, I am at the end of summer here in Australia and am comfortable with the other temps in my system, though could be a little lower.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The 970 is on the back slot on the underside of the mobo. I beleive temp 2 is the controller. First is just with a Twitch stream playing, the second is closing it and letting it idle. I went ahead and ordered 2 S12A fans, hopefully can collect tomorrow.
Your 970 controller seems to run a little hot during drive activity but at idle seems fine. Here's what my two m.2 drives look like on my NZXT H1:

H1-drives.jpg

The GPU in this case lives in its own bay and I have a wimpy RX 550 2GB card that isn't pumping tons of heat onto the auxiliary m.2 (which also lives on the backside of the motherboard) unlike your RDNA2 card.

I am using the same 970 EVO Plus and the drive and controller temps are just one degree Celsius apart. The m.2 slots on the backside of these B550 mini-ITX cases are just open slots. What sort of heatsink do you have on the 970?

If I recall correctly, this is a single-sided SSD (no chips on the bottom) so I used two thermal pads on the bottom tray of the heatsink. If you don't, there's not enough pressure to push the drive's chips onto the thermal pad on the heatsink's top assembly.

The same principle is in effect on the primary m.2 (Gen4) slot on the front side of your motherboard. Is your Samsung 980 PRO a single-sided or dual-sided SSD? If it is single-sided (no chips on the bottom), then you need to put a small rubber spacer on the support post under the middle of the drive. Read your motherboard's owners manual carefully and look at the accessories it shipped with. Normal this spacer is just a small black square 0.5 cm on each size, something that could easily get overlooked. Again, the extra thickness (maybe a millimeter) is enough to push the SSD's chips on top into the thermal pad of the motherboard's first heatsink.

The Samsung's drive do run a bit on the hot side so you should be more motivated to provide extra case ventilation. There isn't anything completely out of whack though. They seem to be functioning within their normal operating ranges.

My 970 EVO Plus replaced an ADATA XPG 8200 which ran about ten degrees cooler. The Sabrent Rockets run much cooler than the Samsungs.

Remember that I am not using my Asus motherboard's heatsink for the Sabrent; I am using Sabrent's add-on heatsink.

Of course, it's still the winter here in the Northern Hemisphere and I would expect the drive temperatures to be about 3 degrees higher on a normal summer day. This NZXT H1 build is not a gaming PC, it's really my daily driver productivity system (hence the ghetto Lexa-based GPU).

Without a doubt PC cooling technology has greatly improved in the past 20-25 years. Designing a good cooling system requires far more thought and analysis than selecting a motherboard or case if you care about acoustics. If you wear headphones 24x7 then go with the cheap noisy RGB blinged-out fans.

Last edited:

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
What sort of heatsink do you have on the 970?
I am not running any heatsink on the 970, though there is an open mesh panel sitting in front.
Is your Samsung 980 PRO a single-sided or dual-sided SSD?
I forgot to check, but I think it's still single sided. I looked though all the motherboard accessories but it did not have a rubber spacer, just a spare stand off and screw. The manual doesn't even have a section for SSD installation. For the Primary m.2 slot, it has a stand off, then you secure the SSD with another standoff, then then screw the first heatsink on. The second layer heatsink has 2 screws in a different location. I did attempt to remove the heatsink directly on the SSD but it was stuck on there pretty well, I didn't try too hard to take it off, but I feel like there is good contact between the chips and thermal pad.

I found a thread with someone adding 2.5mm thick thermal pads between the two with positive results.

I think I will just have to live with the higher temps, as long as it doesn't hit the throttling range. After all it does have a 6900XT sitting on top of it and during idle the metal back plate is quite warm to touch. Also the B550I Aorus design, the VRMs have a heatpipe that leads to the m.2 slot. When you put the second layer heatsink on the SSD it bridges them together more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is for between the dual heatsinks on the primary SSD of my motherboard, as it's just bare metal, and not really that much contact points.
Oh i see, yes a thermal pad helps make contact with the SSD and thermal pad.

My ITX motherboard has a tiny fan enclosure for my primary SSD. In all honesty I think thermal pad/heatsink may be better. I'm not sold on the fan's operation but I've stopped paying attention to my SSD temps. Maybe I'll run some drive intensive tasks and review the temps later.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well no big fancy desktop builds for me but finally pulled the trigger on a Lenovo yoga 9i with the newest i7-1185g7/16gb/1Tb ssd. Pretty much maxed out spec model for their 14”. I have a series x for my gaming but finally decided on this over a Mac. Won’t be here for another week but fingers crossed it’s everything I was hoping for.

A similar spec MacBook air was over $500 more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well no big fancy desktop builds for me but finally pulled the trigger on a Lenovo yoga
Congrats

I've lived with a laptop for an extended period of time. They're just so dang useful.

For me, I just wanted a challenge and I thought it would be a good change of pace. I actually have two laptops that I use quite a bit. I have a KVM switch to so I can move to either laptop or my desktop. I have a work laptop, as my company now request only work equipment to access their network and I have my razer. I usually grab my Razer and use that in my reclining chair or when i travel

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I saw a YouTube video this morning and it was whether you should wait for Zen 4 as it will require a new motherboard and new RAM and that's an interesting consideration not being able to bring older parts over to a new build. I think that Zen 4 will be a big improvement over Zen 3 which is already great. AMD and Apple are both knocking it out of the park.

If Apple comes out with a desktop where I can add a lot of RAM (or the RAM options aren't ridiculously priced) and can support 3 high-res monitors, then that may be the end of my building Windows desktops.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I saw a YouTube video this morning and it was whether you should wait for Zen 4 as it will require a new motherboard and new RAM and that's an interesting consideration not being able to bring older parts over to a new build. I think that Zen 4 will be a big improvement over Zen 3 which is already great. AMD and Apple are both knocking it out of the park.

If Apple comes out with a desktop where I can add a lot of RAM (or the RAM options aren't ridiculously priced) and can support 3 high-res monitors, then that may be the end of my building Windows desktops.

This is very common with big generational leaps, I mean on the same boards we've had various iterations of the AMD CPUs e.g. 1600, 3600, 5600. There always comes a point when a new board is needed for additional features and improvements.

A 5600 today for example (which is what I have) should easily last many years, then the upgrade will be worthwhile. Unless people have specific use cases where adding more CPU power will gain them actual meaningful improvements, it's better to upgrade every 3-5 years.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Congrats

I've lived with a laptop for an extended period of time. They're just so dang useful.

For me, I just wanted a challenge and I thought it would be a good change of pace. I actually have two laptops that I use quite a bit. I have a KVM switch to so I can move to either laptop or my desktop. I have a work laptop, as my company now request only work equipment to access their network and I have my razer. I usually grab my Razer and use that in my reclining chair or when i travel
I miss my big fancy gaming set ups. I just work crazy hours and have 3 kids so the Xbox/laptop combo just made more sense this time around.

My Lenovo just showed up today, loving it so far, very snappy. I haven’t used a windows laptop for any extended period of time for many years so a lot of tweaks to look up. But so far the set up was very easy, updates all downloaded and installed in 20 minutes.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
I am battling what to do. I grew up on Apple. Have owned many. Too many. Except that the last 9 years I switched to PC. For my main computer only I am still a iOS nut. (Check signature). I have had several PC’s started with a i3 3rd Gen back in 2013, and slowly updated to a i7 10th Gen in June. Then the M1s came out. Well last week my son was using my computer and it fell of the bar and shattered the screen and broke off the charger pin. I have a budget of 1k. I am tempted to get a MBA. But Mac OS has changed so much when I go to play with one at the store I am lost. But I know Windows 10 very well. Should I stick with 10 or go back to Mac? The M1s just seem so awesome. And if I stay with 10 what computer would be the best for me? I am a weather tracker. Speed is important. I am not a gamer. Most software ware only requires 8 gigs. But I feel safer with 16. And 512 gig is plenty for storage. I have 2 external drives. Thanks for any advice.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Windows question
can i erase the ssd drive on a laptop and reboot with a fresh install of windows 10 like an apple laptop?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
But I know Windows 10 very well. Should I stick with 10 or go back to Mac? The M1s just seem so awesome. And if I stay with 10 what computer would be the best for me? I am a weather tracker. Speed is important. I am not a gamer. Most software ware only requires 8 gigs. But I feel safer with 16. And 512 gig is plenty for storage. I have 2 external drives. Thanks for any advice.
Unsurprisingly your choice depends heavily on the software you are running. From your scant description, it sounds like your usage case is primarily CPU bound.

The biggest question is whether your weather software is only uses one core or is well-optimized for multi-core processing.

The second question is whether or not those applications have been optimized for Apple Silicon M1.

If your software is optimized for multi-core Windows then your sights should be firmly set on an AMD Ryzen CPU-based system. For multi-threaded Windows applications, the current Ryzens stand head-and-shoulders above Intel in performance-per-watt.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
LOL, my gaming build's technology is regressing. Since I'm using dumb LED strip case lights and a boat navigation light in my micro-ATX build, I don't have much control over those lights.

Until I found this:

That's right, manual control. Each dial controls two channels

• Dial 1: LED strip light brightness (4x light strips, two per channel)
  • Dial 2: LED boat navigation brightness (1x light)
  • Dial 3: (currently unused)
  • Dial 4: top case fan speed (2x Noctua NF-S12A PWM, one channel with Y-adapter cable)

I'm keeping the light brightness as low as possible. I haven't measured it with a multimeter but it's probably somewhere between 2-3 volts. I can't even take a picture, it's so dim that I doubt I could get my iPhone to properly represent the actual brightness. It is dark.

For the case fan dial, these are the two top exhaust fans. If I'm not gaming, I can keep them just moving. Before a gaming session, I can crank them up manually to whatever acoustic level I find comfortable.

This thing takes up one PCI case slot (there's no connection to the motherboard) powered via a single SATA connector directly from the power supply. The motherboard has no idea this is all going on.

This freed up a motherboard fan header so I put my GPU's AIO pump back on this (previously it was getting full 12v power directly from the PSU).

It works so well I just ordered a second one for my mid-tower ATX build.

I also have a work-in-progress NZXT H210 (mini-ITX) build. This case only has two PCI slots, not enough room to accommodate this devices. So I will be using this:

Same concept, it's really just a potentiometer. I'll just stick this somewhere in the H210's interior out of sight. I have already tried this with one of my LED boat navigation lights and a 12V AC adaptor power source. It works great!

The mini-ITX motherboard in the NZXT H210 only has three fan headers on the motherboard so I have to get creative on how to use its limited resources. I may decide to put the top case fan on manual control.

Last edited:

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I am battling what to do. I grew up on Apple. Have owned many. Too many. Except that the last 9 years I switched to PC. For my main computer only I am still a iOS nut. (Check signature). I have had several PC’s started with a i3 3rd Gen back in 2013, and slowly updated to a i7 10th Gen in June. Then the M1s came out. Well last week my son was using my computer and it fell of the bar and shattered the screen and broke off the charger pin. I have a budget of 1k. I am tempted to get a MBA. But Mac OS has changed so much when I go to play with one at the store I am lost. But I know Windows 10 very well. Should I stick with 10 or go back to Mac? The M1s just seem so awesome. And if I stay with 10 what computer would be the best for me? I am a weather tracker. Speed is important. I am not a gamer. Most software ware only requires 8 gigs. But I feel safer with 16. And 512 gig is plenty for storage. I have 2 external drives. Thanks for any advice.
M1 can be awesome, but that depends if your app can take advantage of it.

You can some very capable machines from Windows for 1k, especially the new Ryzen chips.

The G14 is an excellent choice, yes it's a gaming laptop, but what you find is they have really good specs. Running games is very demanding.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
is there anything REALY wrong with fan noise?
last might while streaming a basketball game, I heard the dell XPS 13" fan whirl but everything ran very smoothly.
years , decades ago the fan noise was a good sign that commuter was working!

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
is there anything REALY wrong with fan noise?
last might while streaming a basketball game, I heard the dell XPS 13" fan whirl but everything ran very smoothly.
years , decades ago the fan noise was a good sign that commuter was working!

It depends, some are sensitive to certain noises a fan can make e.g. motor whine, humming, etc. Also when you aren't doing anything taxing on the system, having the fan whirl away is annoying, it highlights a potential cooling/thermal tuning limitation with the device.

I've always said that if I'm doing light weight work I want my fans to be as quiet as possible, and they are. When I ask my CPU or GPU to provide max sustained performance, then I want my fans to work hard and in that scenario I have no issues with the noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.