Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
Can anyone tell me if there's an app that will let you watch your UV/Flixster movies on the Apple TV 4 (in the UK)? I have Flixster Videos on my iOS devices, but for obvious reasons I'd like it on the ATV. Tried Google, but couldn't find anything (that may be my answer)

I'm not quite sold on the upgrade from the 3 yet, but this could swing it, as my UV collection is steadily growing (unlike my iTunes movies library :()

*Also, I believe I can AirPlay the movies .. but would rather not

Last edited:

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
No, not that I've seen. Probably just needed to a add an insult to your choice of service because they don't agree with it. I'd be interested in a UV app as well, as a lot of the blu-rays I buy come with that format for their digital copies.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
UV codes are much more common when you buy discs now, rather than iTunes codes (annoying). But I've found some sites where I can buy just the codes, which as I want to go digital, is perfect - especially as they're at least 50% cheaper than buying physical copies!

Fingers crossed that an app comes along then, and as long as there are iOS apps I'll remain hopeful .. but I can understand why Apple wouldn't allow it.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
UV codes are much more common when you buy discs now, rather than iTunes codes (annoying). But I've found some sites where I can buy just the codes, which as I want to go digital, is perfect - especially as they're at least 50% cheaper than buying physical copies!

Fingers crossed that an app comes along then, and as long as there are iOS apps I'll remain hopeful .. but I can understand why Apple wouldn't allow it.
Temporarily you can stream Flixster from your iPad to an Apple TV through Airplay. They say an Amazon Video app will appear on Apple TV 4 so UV could happen.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anxiously waiting for a UV client to appear on ATV4, although I'm not holding out much hope. Lots of people keep emailing places like Vudu and posting that they have no plans to release an ATV4 app.

Sorry you have to deal with only Flixster in the UK. What an awful company :confused: The amount of titles I have that say Playback Unavailable in Flixster is annoying.

Temporarily you can stream Flixster from your iPad to an Apple TV through Airplay. They say an Amazon Video app will appear on Apple TV 4 so UV could happen.

I have never gotten Flixster w/ Airplay to work on my ATV4.

-Kevin

Reactions: ZebraDude

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
That is why I own both ATV and Roku. From my point of view, they are cheap enough to own both. I would be ATV3 and ATV4 only if VUDU was available and I didn't already own 2 Roku 3's.

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
The lack of a UV app on Apple TV 4 was the main reason I ended up buying a Roku 4. Now I have apps for Vudu, Flixster, M-Go, Amazon Video, Disney Movies Anywhere, Google Play, and CinemaNow all on one streaming box. I'm actually loving the Roku 4 the more I use it.

I own almost 300 UV movies. My colection came from: 1. the digital copies that come with Blu-ray discs 2. converting all of my DVDs to HD UV copies using Vudu's Disc to Digital service, and purchasing UV codes from sites the OP mentioned)

Reactions: tanfan

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
The lack of a UV app on Apple TV 4 was the main reason I ended up buying a Roku 4. Now I have apps for Vudu, Flixster, M-Go, Amazon Video, Disney Movies Anywhere, Google Play, and CinemaNow all on one streaming box. I'm actually loving the Roku 4 the more I use it.

I own almost 300 UV movies. My colection came from: 1. the digital copies that come with Blu-ray discs 2. converting all of my DVDs to HD UV copies using Vudu's Disc to Digital service, and purchasing UV codes from sites the OP mentioned)

I've been doing the math on Disc to Digital. It looks like it will cost me about $1800 to buy myself out of Apples ecosystem if I do it now with Disc to Digital for the BDs in our collection that were redeemed to iTunes or simply didn't have a digital copy. This would include some titles I'd have to outright purchase on UV. I've started holding new digital copy codes for the ones that give you a choice between UV and iTunes in the event I punch out.

I mean, imagine the implications if Amazon finally hammers out a deal and signs on with UV.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I've been doing the math on Disc to Digital. It looks like it will cost me about $1800 to buy myself out of Apples ecosystem if I do it now with Disc to Digital for the BDs in our collection that were redeemed to iTunes or simply didn't have a digital copy. This would include some titles I'd have to outright purchase on UV. I've started holding new digital copy codes for the ones that give you a choice between UV and iTunes in the event I punch out.

I mean, imagine the implications if Amazon finally hammers out a deal and signs on with UV.

Wow, a lot of movies! You can save some by buying Vudu credits at a discount. Problem is you'll max your Vudu account out with that many movies. You'd then have to get into creating separate accounts and using the invite to add to the library. Probably more pain than it's worth.

I loved the d2d because it allowed me to get most of my collection quickly. I even found myself re-buying some things on d2d just to get them in UV.

-Kevin

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

Why not just keep dual libraries? Apple TV 4 will soon get an Amazon app according to MacRumors News. My Samsung Smart TV has built in apps for Vudu and Flixster.

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Fortunately for me, most of my iTunes movie purchases were Disney/Marvel films, so those all show up in my UV apps like VUDU and Flixster.

Tha handful of iTunes titles I needed to repurchase was done fairly cheaply by purchasing UV codes for them. (average cost was about 2-3 bucks per title)

Ultraviolet is the clear winner over iTunes digital video for me. With iTunes, I can only view them on my own Apple TV and iOS devices/Mac. With UV, I can view them on EVERYTHING (xbox, ps4, smart TVs, blu-ray players, any web browser, iOS/android, mac/windows)

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Fortunately for me, most of my iTunes movie purchases were Disney/Marvel films, so those all show up in my UV apps like VUDU and Flixster.

Tha handful of iTunes titles I needed to repurchase was done fairly cheaply by purchasing UV codes for them. (average cost was about 2-3 bucks per title)

Ultraviolet is the clear winner over iTunes digital video for me. With iTunes, I can only view them on my own Apple TV and iOS devices/Mac. With UV, I can view them on EVERYTHING (xbox, ps4, smart TVs, blu-ray players, any web browser, iOS/android, mac/windows)

And they is why it is GOOD to have CHOICES.

There is no one size fits all. For me it is iTunes first and UV second. However, I use them both.

For you it is UV all the way.

Good choice!

PS
I never could understand the haters of UV or iTunes. Choice is good.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Actually, Disney movies are not UV. You can link Disney Movies Anywhere to Vudu (as well as iTunes, Amazon, Google and Microsoft), but they will not show up in Flixster, M-Go or other UV providers.
Ultraviolet is the clear winner over iTunes digital video for me.
Personally, I have a lot more confidence in iTunes still being around in a 5-10 years than UV. The Common File Format for UV downloads was recently cancelled and there is generally very little development. While UV digital copies from DVDs and Blu-rays are ubiquitous, the providers are not making any money off of them, so this will not be enough to sustain them in the long term. When it comes to actually selling movies, iTunes and Amazon are far ahead of all the others.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I never could understand the haters of UV or iTunes. Choice is good.
Personally I don't hate UV (and have >200 movies in UV from digital copies redemptions), but I prefer iTunes and I'd rather have everything under one roof, if only so I wouldn't need multiple streaming devices to access all my content. It's not really a choice if some digital copies only come for one system. Here's hoping that one of the UV providers makes an ATV4 app ...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Personally, I have a lot more confidence in iTunes still being around in a 5-10 years than UV. The Common File Format for UV downloads was recently cancelled and there is generally very little development. While UV digital copies from DVDs and Blu-rays are ubiquitous, the providers are not making any money off of them, so this will not be enough to sustain them in the long term. When it comes to actually selling movies, iTunes and Amazon are far ahead of all the others.

Like someone else said, it's nice to have choice.

Apple will never open up iTunes. So you will always be locked into an Apple device for viewing content from there. Apple will always be hardware first for lock-in. Movies studios will always be against that.

UV won't be going anywhere. You'll always own the UV rights in your locker. Providers may come and go, but movie studios won't get away with having no access to stream your movies. Downloads do suck for UV.......but I'm sure the majority of users stream anyway.

The biggest shift in UV would be if Amazon eventually joins. That would rock the UV world.

-Kevin

Reactions: ohio.emt

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Actually, Disney movies are not UV. You can link Disney Movies Anywhere to Vudu (as well as iTunes, Amazon, Google and Microsoft), but they will not show up in Flixster, M-Go or other UV providers.

I didn't say Disney movies were UV. I was just stating that in my process of trying to get my entire movie collection into Vudu, I didn't have to repurchase the iTunes Disney movies since my Disney account is linked to my Vudu site. You are correct that those titles do not show up in Flixster.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Like someone else said, it's nice to have choice.
It looks more like partitioning the market to me. That's not a good thing from a consumer perspective. I like the idea behind UV (i.e. having a "rights locker" in the background that can be accessed through multiple providers), but unfortunately the execution is not very good and the most successful providers aren't on board.
Apple will never open up iTunes. So you will always be locked into an Apple device for viewing content from there. Apple will always be hardware first for lock-in.
You're probably right. But then, they made an Apple Music app for Android, which surprised the hell out of me.
The biggest shift in UV would be if Amazon eventually joins. That would rock the UV world.
I don't think that will happen anytime soon. There is just no incentive for market leaders to join a consortium of smaller players.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Why not just keep dual libraries? Apple TV 4 will soon get an Amazon app according to MacRumors News. My Samsung Smart TV has built in apps for Vudu and Flixster.

Because you don't get a copy for both and Amazon doesn't get you a UV copy so you end up making a purchase on the system you don't get the digital copy. Amazon isn't happening anyway, thats a rumors with zero evidence to show its anything but. Besides, the whole point of a streaming device is the ability to access your content without jumping back and forth between devices. We got dangled the "App Store" carrot, what we got was a more expensive AppleTV with dated hardware specs and a vacuum when it comes to useful apps.

Last edited:

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I didn't say Disney movies were UV. I was just stating that in my process of trying to get my entire movie collection into Vudu, I didn't have to repurchase the iTunes Disney movies since my Disney account is linked to my Vudu site. You are correct that those titles do not show up in Flixster.

Disney got this whole thing right. Digital locker for your content and it simply links to your preferred streaming service. Perfect.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I'm in the UK, I don't think we have Vudu here :( does that work on the Apple TV?

Only thing to do is contact the UV providers (Blinkbox, Sainsburys, Flixter) and ask them for an Apple TV app. The more people who ask the more likely they'll consider it in future development plans.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Disney got this whole thing right. Digital locker for your content and it simply links to your preferred streaming service. Perfect.
Note that this is the idea behind UV as well. It's just that UV wasn't able to get the big guys to join ...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Note that this is the idea behind UV as well. It's just that UV wasn't able to get the big guys to join ...

In the end it was really the studios forming UV so that Apple didn't have total control of the industry. It's no wonder Apple and Amazon haven't and probably won't join - too much to lose. Apple is almost never the lowest price, so they would lose a lot allow people to buy elsewhere and watch/download from iTunes.

-Kevin

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
In the end it was really the studios forming UV so that Apple didn't have total control of the industry. It's no wonder Apple and Amazon haven't and probably won't join - too much to lose. Apple is almost never the lowest price, so they would lose a lot allow people to buy elsewhere and watch/download from iTunes.
And yet, Disney was able to do what the UV studios couldn't and bring all the big players on board with DMA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.