Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
It has been a while since I last posted here, but I have become the sad owner of a 2.4GHz Penryn MBP. I bought it some weeks ago: I spent the first week installing software, the second week using it, and the third week asking myself why I did not realize sooner that I could have used my money for spending some weeks somewhere in the world or just save my euro for buying ice creams for the rest of my life.

Before buying it, I came on this site looking for some info. I did not know whether going for a MBP or a MB. I hope that this post can be useful for people with the same doubt I had.

What made me chose a MBP:
- larger screen;
- discrete GPU.
That's it: current generations MBPs and MB have similar processors and the same amount of RAM.

The PROS:
- when the screen works, it is wonderful;
- when the computer is off or when you are not doing heavy computations, the aluminium case is a joy to touch;
- the illuminated keyboard is really wonderful. I used to think it was only design, but it is useful.
- it is really thin.
- some animations are smoother than on the MB. In particular: stacks, grids, and dashboard. Expose and spaces animations are similar to those on MB.
- multitouch is not useless as many people think. You can zoom images, web pages and pdfs, go back and forth while surfing, easily browse pdf. I appreciate it.
- speakers are not as bad as many suggest. They are worst than those on my previous toshiba, but much better than those on a dell I work on.
- the battery lasts only a bit less than four hours with "normal" usage: Browsing, email, some text editing.
- it is silent. In particular, much more silent than MBs.

What are the CONS:
- it becomes hot. At 80 celsius (maximum I reached) it is still touchable but forget about the "lap" part of laptop.
- the screen sometimes does not work as it should.
- the keyboard is not as good as many say. I waited some weeks to check whether or not I would get used, but the keys are simply too close to each other and the enter/return key on many keyboards (every keyboard except the us version) is ridiculous: I am not yet able to press it without looking.
- it is not that smoother and faster than a MB. Sometimes it does not feel responsive at all.
- the trackpad is too small for comfortable multitouch gestures. You can still do such gestures but not as on the MB Air.
- audio output on jack is not as good as I thought it would be and worst than my 5-year old toshiba.

The very very bad. Look at the following screenshots.

The first two were caused by Aperture. Aperture is made by Apple: it makes a heavy use of the GPU and that is the result: corrupted video memory. I do not know if my unit is defective or it is just aperture. I can only say that I do not have these problems when I use other software. nvidia drivers on this MBP are commonly not considered in their 'final' version. I hope apple will release a new graphics update, but I do not think apple can keep producing everything by itself: it is now in a competitive market, with many novelties. Their marketing model is still in the powerpc era.

However, these are not the only graphics problems. Here is another one.

The corrupted text was caused by a very rare operation (fortunately): scrolling. Yes, I simply scrolled down or up that page and the text was not repainted correctly. This one came out from nowhere, but it looks like the .3 leopard version will solve the problem. Anyway, I think this is absurd.

I have another problem related to leds. You can read more about it here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7080811#7080811

for a quick look:

the image is not mine but is taken from the thread cited above.

So, frankly, I think that the current MBP is not worth the money they ask for. I live in Italy and I bought it from a shop: I will ask for a replacement/service in the next weeks but I cannot return it. If I could, I would return it without thinking twice. In Italy the base MBP is worth 1.5 times the average monthly salary, but with those surprises it should cost only a little more than a dell.

If you want to ask specific questions just do it and I will be glad to answer them (if I can).

ciao,
thistle

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
one, i take it you dont have Apple Care?
you need to get it replaced or take it to apple.

I dont think you should regret your decison, its a great machine and you just got a bad one. If you get it replaced that machine should last you years. Eventually saving you money over time.

and its a NoteBook. not a LapTop. (even though most would like to use it on our lap.) Thats what apple will tell you.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I have a Penryn MBP (actually two right at the moment) and I've used Aperture ever since 1.0, currently using 2.1. I've never seen graphics corruption like you show caused by Aperture. I'm not saying it's impossible but this is not the normal at all. I use Aperture sometimes for hours and have not seen anything like you show.

For heat, yes it can get hot. But it runs much cooler than previous MBPs. I don't think you are going to find a laptop from anyone that has an equivalent speed processor and runs significantly cooler. I'd be willing to bet that the MB will run similar.

So other than complaining (which is fine I suppose), I'm not sure what the goal of the post is? Are you saying the MB is better value? If so, well duh. Are you saying you want a non-Mac? If so, fine but your issues are not necessarily the norm, it sounds like you may have a defective unit.

If you need the features of the MBP, then it still seems a good value to me. It's certainly not perfect, there are features not available I want (like a hi-res screen in the 15"), and I think the QC on the 15" needs improving. But I wouldn't say it's not worth the money (at least if you have a properly functioning one).

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Contact AppleCare or take your Mac into an Apple Store or an Apple Certified Service Provider and get them to take a look at it, because that's not right at all, it looks like you may need a logic board replacement.

For the record, I've only had one issue with my MacBook Pro which was the fact it would not wake from sleep properly after updating to Mac OS X 10.5.2 and the Leopard Graphics Update (1.0). However, that has been resolved with the latest MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update (1.5.1). No dead pixels, no graphics corruption, the audio output in excellent in my opinion (I'm using a set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers with my MacBook Pro and the sound is crystal clear).

To those considering purchasing the MacBook Pro, I think it's well worth it. Forums are a great place for diagnosing issues and discussing problems, but rarely do you see hoards of satisfied owners that will actually speak out about their experience.

This isn't a flame to you, lordthistle, and I do understand your frustration in regards to the issues that you are having and I think that Apple should definitely take care of that for you. You can get more information about contacting AppleCare at http://www.apple.com/support/contact/.

Please let us know how things go and whether or not Apple resolves these issues for you, the computer is brand new so I can't see why they wouldn't.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Which is the goal of my topic?

None in particular. I just desire to tell my story since in many forums you read only good reviews. Actually I know other two people with defective MBP at least.

In the past years, I bought more than a dozen of notebooks. This is the first apple and it is the only one with defects among all of them. Was I unlucky? I do not know since now I am reading not only the reviews but also the support forums. Shame on me I did not read them earlier. The most absurd fact is that I bought it because it was not a NOVELTY. I bought it because it is supposed to be one of the last model with this motherboard/case/memory/graphics/drives. One where all the major defects and production issues should have been solved. Yes, I am a little bit disappointed.

I went to the shop where I bought the MBP when the stripes first showed up. The answer, after calling the apple repair centre, was: we dunno, it might be a software problem. Wait for apple to say something official. Let's wait.

Even the corrupted screen can be a software problem (I think it is, otherwise I should have similar problems with other apps too, at least once).

And even the corrupted text in Safari is a known software problem, let's wait for an update.

Not everyone plays with his apple computer, it is not like the pc vs. mac tv commercial. When I move my data on a new computer I spend, like many others, days. If I send my notebook for repair I need to zero the hd. It is a waste of time.

And you also waste your time while you wait for your computer to restart while apple thinks about the software updates. And waste time is this one here, writing on the forum, but at least some other people can save theirs.

cheers
thistle

PS. I spoke about the heat because the only review where the person clearly stated that this penryn thing gets really hot was on anand. In all the other reviews this computer had the effect of a refreshing mint.

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
The glitched image appearance is likely due to overheating in your GPU. Take it to Apple and get it fixed before something more serious happens. If its happening in graphically intensive apps then its likely that its overheating.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
What you are showing us is a very sad MBP, its overheating badly, you need to get it checked soon, you've obviously got a bad unit.

Also, if 3 of you buy a MBP at the same time (not saying you did) from the same place, then they are all likely to be faulty, as they are the same batch.

steinlager

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sounds like you're just one of those unlucky customers that got a bad unit. Get it replaced and you'll be like the rest of us happy campers :)

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Also, if 3 of you buy a MBP at the same time (not saying you did) from the same place, then they are all likely to be faulty, as they are the same batch.
In fact we did not.

But I guess that I will be very happy with this expensive toy when I will get a good one.

thistle

cmm26red

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Which is the goal of my topic?

None in particular. I just desire to tell my story since in many forums you read only good reviews. Actually I know other two people with defective MBP at least.

In the past years, I bought more than a dozen of notebooks. This is the first apple and it is the only one with defects among all of them. Was I unlucky? I do not know since now I am reading not only the reviews but also the support forums. Shame on me I did not read them earlier. The most absurd fact is that I bought it because it was not a NOVELTY. I bought it because it is supposed to be one of the last model with this motherboard/case/memory/graphics/drives. One where all the major defects and production issues should have been solved. Yes, I am a little bit disappointed.

I went to the shop where I bought the MBP when the stripes first showed up. The answer, after calling the apple repair centre, was: we dunno, it might be a software problem. Wait for apple to say something official. Let's wait.

Even the corrupted screen can be a software problem (I think it is, otherwise I should have similar problems with other apps too, at least once).

And even the corrupted text in Safari is a known software problem, let's wait for an update.

Not everyone plays with his apple computer, it is not like the pc vs. mac tv commercial. When I move my data on a new computer I spend, like many others, days. If I send my notebook for repair I need to zero the hd. It is a waste of time.

And you also waste your time while you wait for your computer to restart while apple thinks about the software updates. And waste time is this one here, writing on the forum, but at least some other people can save theirs.

cheers
thistle

PS. I spoke about the heat because the only review where the person clearly stated that this penryn thing gets really hot was on anand. In all the other reviews this computer had the effect of a refreshing mint.

How is it a waist of time? You obviously have a defective unit on your hands if all the problems you are telling us are true. Even if you did not purchase :apple:care, your 4,1 MBP is still under warranty and I would be on the phone with them trying to develop a course of action as to how it is going to get fixed. Unless, of course, it is a waist of time as you put it. But in my opinion, something that costs as much as a MBP should be close to perfect and yours is far from that. There are several programs out there that will encrypt the data on your hard drive incase you do not want any sensitive data being exposed when it goes in for repair, but if you consider getting your brand new machine fixed a "waist of time," this option may not be to your liking either!
:eek:

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
uh, "waist" of time? dude, serious credibility problems if you misspell a word the OP spelled correctly. fer realz.

to the OP: thanks for the post detailing a (perhaps rare) bum steer experience. apple creates a very big hype around its products (supported whole-throatedly by a very vocal fanboy culture), so when you get a machine that doesn't perform you wonder if it's the machine or your own expectations. i have owned an older ibook, a last-gen powerbook and a first-gen Intel MBP (coreduo), all of which had glitches and hardware bugs. in each case i was very surprised, but by the second or third one i had come to see it as something other than my own horrible luck.

still, once the issues were sorted out with apple (and i suggest you deal directly with them or their authorized importer/distributor in your territory if outside the USA) each of the foregoing computers has provided a full lifespan of productive enjoyment.

best of luck with the warranty/repair regimen; begin by bypassing your reseller and going direct to source!

v

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
How is it a waist of time? You obviously have a defective unit on your hands if all the problems you are telling us are true. Even if you did not purchase :apple:care, your 4,1 MBP is still under warranty and I would be on the phone with them trying to develop a course of action as to how it is going to get fixed. Unless, of course, it is a waist of time as you put it. But in my opinion, something that costs as much as a MBP should be close to perfect and yours is far from that. There are several programs out there that will encrypt the data on your hard drive incase you do not want any sensitive data being exposed when it goes in for repair, but if you consider getting your brand new machine fixed a "waist of time," this option may not be to your liking either!
:eek:

for real, yeah its a waste of time to have to fix your expensive computer...but i would waste A LOT of time if it was my computer.... if you are not wasting time....then you are WASTING MONEY.

knightrider

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
80c?

There is no way I'd allow any notebook I own to get to 80C. The thermal design of the Inspiron 8200 (it toasted two HDs, a graphics card, an optical drive, and a DC/DC converter) is one of the main reasons I considered a Mac in the first place. I haven't seen any high temps running OS X, but in the XP side, it was pretty easy to have it go to 70C. There is a windows based program - is it keymapper? that allows you to control the fan speed. You ought to have that set up as XP seems to run much warmer.

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
If I send my notebook for repair I need to zero the hd. It is a waste of time.

Do you really need to be that paranoid? I would waste more time making sure I have a backup before sending it out.

All right, now I really think this is someone who likes complaining. There's a reason "apple needs time to think" after a restart with a new firmware update. I wish we had some sort of progress bar so I would worry less, but I haven't seen anyone claim it's a waste of time.

My MBP developed a faulty key. I took it in and had the keyboard replaced. That didn't give me any right to first jump to these threads and post my impression of developing CONS of my MBP experience... At least threads reviewing faulty hardware should come with some appropriate disclaimer so they don't scare people considering buying it.

That's just how I see it.

Taiphun

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
Sorry for your bad luck.

I bought a MBP 15" 2.5Ghz Penryn a few weeks ago (2.5, to be exact) and I don't suffer from any of the problems you're describing.

In fact, I did not read about those LED issues until a week after I received it, then became paranoid that I had a faulty one too. I checked it and to my relief, my only issue is a MagSafe adapter that refuses to keep the MBP charged.

Thankfully I called Apple and they are shipping a replacement.

Hope you get your problems ironed out.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
All right, now I really think this is someone who likes complaining.
If I liked to complain, I would like to complain for free, not after such a big expense. So I can assure you that I am not enjoying this complaining. Posts like mine are as useful as the ones written by mac zealots (if not more).

There's a reason "apple needs time to think" after a restart with a new firmware update. I wish we had some sort of progress bar so I would worry less, but I haven't seen anyone claim it's a waste of time.
You should read more carefully what people post, especially if their mother-tongue is not English (as in my case). May be my sentence was far from perfect, but still perfectly understandable. And you did not catch it. Please read it again (if you do want to reply).

My MBP developed a faulty key. I took it in and had the keyboard replaced.
I read more messages from people who got their MBP replaced several times than from people "lucky" with their first notebook. This is quite normal since no one writes "I bought a notebook and it works", since that's how it is supposed to be. But we are speaking about a very expensive notebook (you can buy a motorbike or a used car with the same money). We are speaking about a notebooks whose owner is LUCKY if he receives it without defects.

I am not saying that, IF YOU HAVE A FAULTY COMPUTER, sending it to repair is a waste of time. I am just saying that with all of the other notebooks (my work group and) I bought, this MBP is the first one going out for repair. And, among all our notebooks, this is the only apple: think about it. But from your point of you I was only UNLUCKY.

At least threads reviewing faulty hardware should come with some appropriate disclaimer so they don't scare people considering buying it.That's just how I see it.
Please give me an example of "disclaimer".

No one is questioning the quality of Mac OS: every OS has bugs, Leopard has its share. Nothing new in this. Here we are speaking about hardware. That's it.

thistle

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Sorry for your bad luck.
In fact, I did not read about those LED issues until a week after I received it, then became paranoid that I had a faulty one too. I checked it and to my relief, my only issue is a MagSafe adapter that refuses to keep the MBP charged.

Thankfully I called Apple and they are shipping a replacement.

Hope you get your problems ironed out.

You know... from my point of view your problem shouldn't be even "thinkable" in notebooks in this class (also because it is quite common).

Sorry for the two consecutive postings.

thistle

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I bought a 17" MacBook Pro... and it works!

+1

Seriously, bad computers happen. Get it replaced by Apple if it's within the first year or if you were savvy enough to purchase AppleCare. And the reason nobody writes about their good experiences is because people would rather complain. Not to mention it would be a waste of time to start a new thread every time something didn't go wrong. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but Apple is great for customer satisfaction. You just have to tell them about it...

Jalbuke

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Macbook Pro

Do you really need to be that paranoid? I would waste more time making sure I have a backup before sending it out.

All right, now I really think this is someone who likes complaining. There's a reason "apple needs time to think" after a restart with a new firmware update. I wish we had some sort of progress bar so I would worry less, but I haven't seen anyone claim it's a waste of time.

My MBP developed a faulty key. I took it in and had the keyboard replaced. That didn't give me any right to first jump to these threads and post my impression of developing CONS of my MBP experience... At least threads reviewing faulty hardware should come with some appropriate disclaimer so they don't scare people considering buying it.

I agree 100% with the OP. For some time now, Apple hardware stinks.
The Apple Care does not apply in Europe (in some countries, anyway)

Everybody must complain very hard if such expensive piece of hardware Apple puts out on market is faulty out of the box. And I think that the service is good on replacing the machine because they know that are selling, most of the time, crap.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles

I can't believe you didn't complain about the time you wasted (or "waisted", depending on one's p.o.v.) while waiting at the tech counter for your new keyboard.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.