Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you go to place an order for an X and the shipping time is after January 1st, what do you do?

• Camp Out

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Place the order and wait it out

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • Place the order and camp out too

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Pick up an 8/8+

Votes: 28 11.8%
  • Stick with what you have

Votes: 57 23.9%
  • Buy something else (comment below)

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
There have been a fair number of rumors that supplies are going to be extremely limited for the X. So what would you do if presented with a delivery estimate more than 8 weeks from the pre-order date? I don't know if I'd place the order and wait that long. Under 4 weeks and I'd definitely place the order. Beyond that I'd start considering other options. Depending on the weather (West Michigan so it could be in the 20s overnight in early November) I may camp out. There probably isn't a lot of harm in placing the order and cancelling later.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
People are getting so psyched out over the availability of this thing it's ridiculous.

I think for good reason. When the 6 / 6+ came out it was the first time I wasn't able to pre-order. I had to camp out and that sucked. It can get cold in West Michigan this time of year and now it's going to be another 6 weeks. There could be snow. If you live in an area where weather isn't a concern then camping out could be fun.

Anyway, the 6 / 6+ were highly anticipated phones. All rumors are pointing to constrained supplies and long delays with the X so I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking about a Plan B. No one really plans for fail. They fail to plan.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think for good reason. When the 6 / 6+ came out it was the first time I wasn't able to pre-order. I had to camp out and that sucked. It can get cold in West Michigan this time of year and now it's going to be another 6 weeks. There could be snow. If you live in an area where weather isn't a concern then camping out could be fun.

Anyway, the 6 / 6+ were highly anticipated phones. All rumors are pointing to constrained supplies and long delays with the X so I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking about a Plan B. No one really plans for fail. They fail to plan.

If camping is so terrible I don't see why you don't just order the phone online and wait however long it takes. I find it very unlikely that you will be waiting for several weeks or months if you place your preorder right away.

Reactions: Peanut207

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
If camping is so terrible I don't see why you don't just order the phone online and wait however long it takes. I find it very unlikely that you will be waiting for several weeks or months if you place your preorder right away.

Time will tell.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Personally I'd just pre-order and wait.

I waited in line once for 3 hours to get an iPhones 6 And the experience sucked. And I ended up returning it.

Won't be doing that ever again.

Pre-order and be patient.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For me, if the wait time is ridiculous, I will just order the 8/8+. I'd be okay waiting to get the OLED model next year.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
There have been a fair number of rumors that supplies are going to be extremely limited for the X. So what would you do if presented with a delivery estimate more than 8 weeks from the pre-order date?

a delivery estimate more than 8 weeks?

Well dam, who else to blame when you don't pre-order when pre-order starts . . .

First come, first serve. Can we really argue against that?

Reactions: Aibocyrus

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Wait it out because I know come January and I bought the 8 plus because of lack of patience I’d regret it. I’m all in for the X!

Reactions: AJsAWiz

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Realistically, I would probably be willing to wait until late January, although I'd start considering other options (keeping my existing phone, most likely) if my delivery date slipped past December 31. I really want the X, but, in the world of technology, how long is too long to wait?

Reactions: AJsAWiz and ckurt25

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
No fast wireless fast charging...this shows how much Apple is behind hardware wise, they gonna announce next year fast charging iPhones because they are honestly running out of ideas and they trying to squeeze as much cash as they can with their current hardware which is somewhat outdated, like their oled screen from Samsung that they were using 3-4 years.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

Well dam, who else to blame when you don't pre-order when pre-order starts . . .

No one can guarantee everyone online at 12:01 / the moment pre-orders start they'll get theirs on launch day. As I mentioned above, I tried that when the 6+ came out and wasn't able to get a launch day delivery. Rumors suggest this phone is going to be hard to get until the 1st quarter of '18. Why is unrealistic to think it's possible that there could be a substantial wait, even for those trying to pre-order right away? Do you know how many units are going to be available? Do you know how many people are going to pre-order? Do you know how many phones Apple will have coming in the days and weeks to follow?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've camped out for almost every phone release and will likely camp out for this one as well unless I get really lucky on the pre-order.

Yeah, it may be chilly out this time of year, might even be some snow ... just means there'll be less of a line. ;)

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

I've tried pre-ordering since pre-ordering was allowed. I've been online at the moment the store opens for pre-orders and have yet to be able to get a launch-day delivery. Best I got was getting my 6S Plus pre-order in by a few minutes after midnight (12:03, I think?) and had a delivery two weeks after launch day.

Given the extra challenges they've been having with the X, an that full production isn't even going to start until a couple of weeks before pre-orders go out, I'm betting orders slip almost instantly.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Unfortunately I'd continue to pine to get one in store after the pre order if it slipped even beyond release day. Usually the online IUP reservation website is the best for it, I'd consider waiting in line launch day, it isn't the worst experience.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There have been a fair number of rumors that supplies are going to be extremely limited for the X. So what would you do if presented with a delivery estimate more than 8 weeks from the pre-order date? I don't know if I'd place the order and wait that long. Under 4 weeks and I'd definitely place the order. Beyond that I'd start considering other options. Depending on the weather (West Michigan so it could be in the 20s overnight in early November) I may camp out. There probably isn't a lot of harm in placing the order and cancelling later.

Camp out? The Apple store may not even have stock on introduction day. Maybe play with the demo phones . . . . .

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Wait until the day it releases, going to be crazy.
Apple needs some sort of a Galaxy Note 7 fiasco to humble themselves a bit. Not anything that would endanger the public, but something really stupid that forces them into clean-up mode for a bit. I say this as an Apple aficionado and Mac user since 1995; Apple and many of its consumers will continue to ride the crest of seeming invincibility until the wave breaks against the rocks. It's only a matter of time.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
If delivery goes past Thanksgiving, then I most likely won't order and instead camp out. I'm very optimistic. I don't see why I won't be able to get the phone within a week of launch if I preorder at midnight or camp out. If preorder or camping out doesn't work, then I'll wait until next September for the next phone.

Reactions: clunkmess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.