Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those with a 4S who will be upgrading?

• Yes upgrading

Votes: 171 59.6%
  • No, won't be upgrading

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 14.3%
  • No, won't be upgrading and will switch platforms

Votes: 22 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I'll be getting the upgrade for the faster CPU, upgraded RAM and LTE capability. The larger screen is just a bonus for me. However it will look really weird to me having an elongated iPhone.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Undecided. I'll have to see the presentation of the new iPhone by Apple, see all the new features along with iOS 6 to decide. But as things are, I am seriously tempted to switch to Android, particularly a Galaxy S3. If the iPhone 5 doesn't impresses me, I'll pull the switch. Apple has been rather disappointing on all fronts lately, finding it hard to get exited over anything they do anymore.

RyanF

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I have a 4S and most likely won't be upgrading. But I'm gonna be jealous seein all the 5's running around.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Yes I will be upgrading from my iphone 4 and heres why:

1. I want Siri

2. New Design means change for me but thats just me

3. Larger screen real-estate means more apps can be placed in the menu with 346 apps i need it.

4. Better reception although my iPhone 4 hardly drops out

5. More memory, better graphics and cpu from the previous iPhone 4 however there might be no graphics change from the iphone 4s

6. And lastly I am off contract

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yes I will be upgrading from my iphone 4 and heres why:

1. I want Siri (not a factor for me)

2. New Design means change for me but thats just me (I wouldn't call this a new design by a long shot)

3. Larger screen real-estate means more apps can be placed in the menu with 346 apps i need it. (stretching only vertically will only make a already crowded screen more so)

4. Better reception although my iPhone 4 hardly drops out (not a factor for me)

5. More memory, better graphics and cpu from the previous iPhone 4 however there might be no graphics change from the iphone 4s (main reason I'll upgrade)

6. And lastly I am off contract (same here)
I will probably be upgrading from my iPhone 4 but only because it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

paul8

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
USA
I have a 4 and I will be upgrading to the 5. Reasons: LTE, siri, larger screen, faster processor, better camera for photo and video. I want the 4" screen, but I wish the size of the phone would stay the same. I really don't want a longer phone.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Let's assume the rumours are correct. An elongated iPhone that essentially looks like the iPhone 4 but stretched.

Based on these rumours only, will you be upgrading?

No, I went to a 64gb 4s, and am only a year into my contract, I would prob be eligible for an update, but it would cost to much, Plus I'm leaning to a samsung Galaxy III

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Got a 4S and SGS3 so definitely won't be getting the next iPhone, kind of bought into the hype regarding how good people say iPhones are and got nothing but disappointed as a whole when I got my 4S. I'm happy enough with my 4S but after having my SGS3 for a few months I just can't see me bothering to get a phone I know I won't use as much as the SGS3.

jyatch

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Why would you not update. I've had every phone put out so far. Keeping up with technology.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure yet, but if I do upgrade, it will be purely for the LTE. I'm waiting for reports to see how well it works. My upgrade isn't ready until Dec, so I'll have to wait until then anyways.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It all comes down to what it has to offer and what my choices are.

I chose the iPhone because I wanted something with a strong powerful camera, and every comparison I did between cameras on smartphones at the time of my choosing showed that the iPhone had the best mobile camera.

In the future, who knows? If the next iPhone at my time of upgrade has a great camera compared to the other phones available for my choosing, that may be my choice. If there's a phone that has better features to suit me (I like a 4.0 inch wide screen vs. longer, A really BRIGHT and HD screen, Durability, and Interface are really all my concerns), like an Android or Windows Phone 8, then I'll get one of those instead.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
If the leaked photos are true then no, I won't be upgrading.

My needs regarding a phone are functionality, look good and feel good in my hand. Unfortunately my 4S only satisfies the first 2 out of the 3 and the leaked photos show that the feel good in hand factor box won't be ticked by the 5 either. When will Apple realise that a brick shaped phone doesn't sit comfortably in the human hand. If it could run iOS, I'd go for the Galaxy S3, I was considering jumping ship anyway but really don't like the white text on black background the S3 uses. So, it looks like I'll have to wait at least another year or two, in some ways I wish I'd kept my old 3GS.

Of course ...... the leaked photos could be wrong and the 5 might be more like the iPod Touch designs that were around last year, fingers crossed.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
The only upside is the LTE. The faster hardware is meh at this point, and the screen, form factor, new plug, and new SIM card are definite downsides. Considering the city I work in has 5+ mbps HSPA+, I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade... Maybe by the time I get around to upgrading enough people will be off 3G to have it not slow down to a complete stop in Manhattan. Then I won't have to upgrade for quite a few more years.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The only upside is the LTE. The faster hardware is meh at this point, and the screen, form factor, new plug, and new SIM card are definite downsides. Considering the city I work in has 5+ mbps HSPA+, I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade... Maybe by the time I get around to upgrading enough people will be off 3G to have it not slow down to a complete stop in Manhattan. Then I won't have to upgrade for quite a few more years.

I agree LTE is very appealing, but I also get really fast hspa+ speeds. Hardware is fast on the 4S, so that is a wash, but I actually really want the new connector. The current one is massive and out dated =/....i know it is a weird thing to complain about, but i want something different and my car chargers, etc are all usb and not direct iPhone cables.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Not sure if I'll upgrade from a iphone 4 to 5. Maps looks like a downgrade at this point. In my area, our 3G speed went up from 1-2 mbps to 5 mbps a week ago and we don't have LTE probably for another 2 years, so faster antennas won't make much of a difference here. I'm also holding out to see what windows phone 8 and ipad 4 is like.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I really hope they don't go to the nano SIM. I travel a lot and everywhere I go the first thing I do is get a local SIM so I can use my iPhone as a personal hotspot. Micro SIM was a hassle at first, but in most places (in Asia at least) the vendors have a cutter its not an issue. With nano SIM, its thinner and you can't just cut it. Also, my telco (Singtel) charges $10 a month extra for micro SIM because there are dummies out there that don't know you can cut a normal SIM. With nano SIM, the telcos will be able to screw us!

If its nano SIM, I might seriously think about jumping to an Android Jellybean phone if that is the only way I can still have the flexibility to use local SIMs.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
my contract is up on Aug. 30th. with AT&T and not only will I be upgrading but going to Verizon and getting rid of poor service micro cell etc.

DITTO in bold and caps!

Damn AT&T blows (for me in NYC and burbs)

audix

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
How do you convince people to switch from what they thought was the best phone ever designed?

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I had a 4 which was stolen and currently have a 4S, but my contract is still up in October. iOS does have a lot of limitations, but I'm willing to accept them and overall I like iOS. But I can't stand the tiny 3.5" screen anymore. If we get the stretch-phone or even a proper 4" screen, I'm switching platforms. I don't care how good iOS is, if I'm struggling with the screen I'm not enjoying the phone. I don't even enjoy games on it any more because of the dinky screen, I just use my iPad for that.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
No, I got my 4S almost a year ago and it still hasn't slowed down or anything. I don't see a reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.