Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
So, I bought an iMac g3 (400 mhz, OS X 10.2 Jaguar ) off craigslist, and it works fine. However, when trying to set up an application, I am asked for the keychain password, which I don't have. I tried putting in the user password, but it did not work. I also looked into the keychain manager and found that the keychain is locked. Is there anything I can do to unlock/find the password for the keychain?

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I'd suggest backup the system manually (no time machine pre 10.5), loading the installer disc, then booting up the installer and wiping the drive and set it up as you want, then restore the programs from the backup.
You may find that carbon copy cloner or the like would help if there is invisible files used by the programs.
Alternatively if you have the install discs for the programs, you have no major worries.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think the only way you can unlock a locked keychain is to use the original keychain password to unlock the existing keychain.
If you don't know what that password is (and it's a system that someone else installed and used) - You can go to your user folder/Library, then the Keychains folder. Delete any files that you find in that Keychains folder.
Restart.
The system will create a new keychain file, and ask for passwords when it needs them. You should only need to input one password for each instance, then you should seldom be asked about passwords, unless you make password changes occasionally. In other words, the Keychain Utility should be working normally then.

And, if it asks you for a keychain password, now you will know that it is your own password.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
also as an alternative solution, when you open Keychain, you can go into the preferences, there is a RESET MY DEFAULT KEYCHAIN button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.