Former Apple Employees on Eddy Cue: Siri and Eddy Were 'A Bad Fit' and He is 'Always Doing Too Many Things'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new profile on Apple chief Eddy Cue has been shared online today by The Information, highlighting Cue's history and leadership at the company, as well as a few of his more interesting quirks. Specifically, the story looks at Apple's services segment -- which Cue oversees -- and some of the missteps it has taken over the years, despite being a consistent revenue earner for the company.

According to analyst James McQuivey, Apple's services business "has been the biggest opportunity that Apple has misspent for the last ten years." Issues include the company's need to play catchup with Netflix, Amazon, and Spotify in streaming TV and music, fading into irrelevance in the eBooks category, and ongoing struggles with Apple Maps and Siri, the latter of which Cue no longer is responsible for.

[​IMG]

As he looked into Cue's history with Apple, The Information's Aaron Tilley interviewed more than two dozen people who have worked with Cue. While some describe him "as a leader of intelligence and empathy," others say he "seems overextended" and has "failed to intercede in conflicts." Specifically, one former Apple employee gave an example related to the early days of Apple Music, ultimately claiming that Cue is "always doing too many things."
    According to former employees, Cue "seemed to lack much interest in [Siri]" from "the moment he gained responsibility." During meetings about technical data for Siri's performance, Cue "seemed to fall asleep in at least two meetings." Siri leadership recently moved to Craig Federighi and is now under John Giannandrea.
    The profile also looks at Apple's entry into streaming music, following former CEO Steve Jobs' derision of the idea of renting music. Apple reportedly "fought tooth and nail" to keep Spotify out of the United States following its debut in Europe, with Jobs going so far as to privately threaten Universal Music by stating Apple would remove its content from iTunes if it worked with Spotify in the U.S.

Following his death in the fall of 2011, Cue decided that Apple had to shift its music business to streaming somehow, ultimately spearheading the largest acquisition in Apple's history with the purchase of Beats for $3 billion. Following the deal, one former Beats employee who joined Apple told The Information that it eventually became clear that "Apple was under-resourced to manage this."

Moreover, the two companies clashed so much about decisions over how Beats Music would transition into Apple Music, "there were almost literally fistfights over design aspects, features, aesthetics," one person said. "They all hated each other." Amid all of this, Cue's leadership style was put into question:
    Looking ahead, The Information says that Cue's "biggest test yet" will be Apple's streaming TV service. In meetings, Cue is said to have discussed the possibility of making the Apple TV app available beyond Apple's own devices -- even on smart TVs and Android -- in an effort to make sure its shows are seen as widely as possible. This also hints that Apple is considering making the TV app the location of its original TV shows, which has been suggested in the past.

The rest of The Information's profile on Eddy Cue is available to read if you have a subscription.

Article Link: Former Apple Employees on Eddy Cue: Siri and Eddy Were 'A Bad Fit' and He is 'Always Doing Too Many Things'

2. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

3. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

sounds like he wasn't a good manager.

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

5. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

That's why Siri and iTunes suck so bad. He may have too much work!

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Cue the Eddie Cue hate machine without any education or skills from the haters to back it all up just perception.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2018 ---
    But he's been a manager since 1989 or a few short years after. Look at all the other executives they've hired since then. But yeah he sounds like he's not a good manager.

--- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2018 ---
    Says you why?
    reasons, evidence to claim that?

Oh maybe you'll place the reason Siri sucked was because he had it for less than 1 year ... but that was Cook's mistake that is BAD leadership.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

I take former employee opinions with a grain of salt. They've moved on, were let go, or just in general are sour grapes.

I'm not a huge Eddie Cue fan, but we've beaten the Siri topic to death and Apple has definitely not lost out on much because of its perceived shortcomings. See their earnings lately?

My guess is it's going to get a lot better when it needs to be better (meaning it will drive profit).

8. Scooz macrumors regular

As usual, you don‘t need the skills if you can spend enough money. Especially if it‘s not yours.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Get your facts right please:

Source: https://www.theinformation.com/arti...ndZUB0QxMD02QzRVJuh90&unlock=09c7b4c206903bb9

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ved-from-eddy-cue-to-craig-federighi.2064476/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/...hn-giannandrea-machine-learning-core-ml-teams

I don't blame you though in thinking that because Macrumors, TheVerge, 9to5Mac and so many other "tech biogs" don't do proper research to source factual and historical data when an article has been written.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I read the whole thing. They basically leaked the juicy bits. This stood out to me though:

So Apple’s improvements to maps are because Cue got spooked buy an internet blog post?

I’ll never understand why Siri was given to Cue in the first place. But it certainly should have been removed from him a lot sooner than it was.

11. mozumder macrumors 6502a

This really is Apple's fault in their management style.

Services isn't a "design" product that works fine with a singular vision. Instead, it's all about labor, and the number of people you throw at it, tackling thousands or millions of tiny challenges.

12. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

13. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

I wonder if Eddy reads this macrumors post ;-)

14. moabal macrumors regular

His colorful shirts and Eddy Cue are also a bad fit.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

"Hey Eddy, I was thinking we could make Siri d--"

"HEY SIRI PLAY SOME SPICY SALSA"

[​IMG]

"...never mind"

16. jscipione macrumors member

jscipione

17. agsystems macrumors 6502a

really? dude sounds like Mr. Magoo

18. exmike macrumors newbie

exmike

Is Cue a Zombie or did he arise from the dead? The proofreading here is sorely lacking. Or maybe his death explains why he has no interest in siri.

19. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502

RumorConsumer

He rocked it when he was put in charge of fixing MobileMe. I have never seen a product come together so quickly.

20. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

At first I read the title as "Former Apple Employee Eddy Cue..." and then I got disappointed when I reread it.

21. norbinhouston macrumors regular

Cue and other unqualified Managers survived at Apple because Steve Jobs did all the heavy lifting in decision making. And probably surrounded himself with weaker personalities. When he left, you came to see what type of managers they really were.

22. weup togo macrumors regular

Eddy is not overextended. He's checked out. Think about how many times you've seen him on the sidelines at big NBA games. You don't see all his Ferrari-related activities. He's an avid car guy, in addition to being on Ferrari's board of directors.

Running iTunes meant that Eddy was *constantly* in contact with all the biggest stars in music and movies. Every celebrity who came to infinite loop was there to see him. He's a hyper-rich fame hound who hasn't cared about technology in a very long time.

23. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

That may be, but then Steve Jobs was wielding the whip over his ass.

24. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

I am sure somebody else got fired instead of Eddy.

25. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Good grief.
    File under:
    "Once seen cannot be unseen"