Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
After reading this one, and others, it is clear: This person loved Steve Jobs :)

Dude...he's gone, man. He's gone.

Of course. Who doesn’t love Steve Jobs on this site? I am well aware he is gone, I just get annoyed when people trash old iOS when it was more stable and intuitive than today’s. I compare it to how iOS used to be because that’s what I still expect from Apple in 2017. We all should expect nothing less from Apple and stop giving them a pass all the time, otherwise we get mediocrity (as evident from the non stop complaints in the forums which is 100x worse than 5 years ago), and not the perfectionism that’s been the staple of the company over the past 15+ years.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I get that the dude was somewhat of a jerk, but it seems like that's almost par for the course of Apple's leadership.

I always thought it was a little disloyal to get rid of him so soon after Steve's passing.

I think that in reality, what happened was that Tim Cook was faced with an ultimatum. Either fire Scott, or see everyone else leave.

In the greater scheme of things, Scott was the more expendable one. He only had his own attitude to blame. It's one thing to be a dick when you have Steve Jobs to cover for you. It's another thing to be a dick when the new CEO doesn't stand for this sort of nonsense.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Bottom line: Jobs was the key element that allowed all of this pile of crazy/genius (Ive/Cook/Forstall) to work.
[doublepost=1498087117][/doublepost]
Stupid comparison. It's like saying Belfiore > Satya. Two different persons with different skill sets and expertise. Forstall cannot run a company. Tim Cook can, which is why Jobs himself groomed him to be the next CEO. When fired, Jobs went ahead started Next. Forstall is doing nothing. I don't understand why people keeps idolizing him today.
Jobs didn't 'groom' anyone - he just said "You do it".

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Forstall will be back at Apple one day (let's say one week after Mansfield retires).

The move completely fits Apple's trope of prodigal son's return.

IMO, he will never return to Apple. He is brilliant, but there are already too many "My way, or the highway" in the Executive Team already. As you can clearly see in the interview he is very self confident, and deservedly so, very willing to talk about his abilities. Being unable to always have his ideas front and center was the prime directive for his departure from Apple. IMO, in this interview you see an extremely talented person thriving in an environment where he can have what he wants, when he wants it. Not going to happen in industry. :apple:

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Because the "data" in maps was not his work? And it was never part of Apple's DNA to pander to the vocal minority, least of all by apologizing. I respect Forstall for standing up for himself and his principles (and his team).

But all of this is just a smokescreen. It was almost common knowledge that Forstall and Cook were the two finalists for the role of CEO before Steve passed away. Getting rid of Forstall was just Cook's way of cementing his position and transforming Jobs' Apple2010 to Cook's Apple2017.

I miss Forstall's charisma (he's the only Apple exec I know of, who made a Seinfeld reference on stage .... culture.) . I think he would have made a better CEO or CTO. I miss Apple2010.
I suspected the same in regards to Forstall possibly being an obstacle for Tim (power struggle). Steve Jobs seemed so much closer to Forstall. I am sure what Scott shared in that interview was just a tiny mist of their more than 2 decades of working together. The clout Tim had though was Jony (which Steve described as his spiritual soul mate) at Apple. If Steve had lived a couple more years, maybe he would have sorted out the issues between Jony and Scott.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

appleman1988

Suspended
May 22, 2017
I for one don't miss him...

iOS 7 was such a fresh coat of paint. I HATE skeuomorphism and really, making the notes look like the interior of a notepad? That was "so" cheap looking. Flat look is much better. I really would have never bought an iPhone before iOS 7. I had iPads though from the 1st gen and I HATED the OS. When I put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 it was like Christmas. Truly.

I also feel the iPhone truly became interesting to me starting with the 5s. The OS was right, the features were right, etc. If I had to run iOS 6 I'd shoot myself probably, or use a flip phone. It was an ugly OS IMO. My first iPhone was the 6 Plus. Now that was an amazing phone as a first time iPhone owner. I loved how much better it performed than my prior phones. It was a good fit for me. Bigger screen. Then I owned a 6S Plus and now a 7 Plus. I like new iPhones every year - fresh.

It's like those that are "Snow Leopard or die" or "Server since Snow Leopard isn't a real Server OS" or "iOS 6 and before were better". Sure, if you like living in the dark ages. Me, I'll take new and much improved. TEHO, YMMV, etc. Same with this whole hatred of the post-Steve Apple. I for one love what Tim is doing. I think is doing an amazing job thus far, IMO.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
At the end of the day, production talks. The iPhone is arguably the best consumer device ever produced. Forstall clearly has the talent to create and release new, innovative products.

And guess what? Forstall didn't do it alone. The iPhone was the result of collaboration amongst multiple departments, of which Forstall was one.

I see it as a package deal. Yes, Forstall was undeniably a talent, but he also brought with him his fair share of problems. Tim Cook made a decision, and decided he wasn't worth risking a potential schism in his workforce.

To me, it's as much Forstall's shortcoming as it is Tim's. Yes, maybe it can be argued that it is Tim's responsibility to manage his men, but I would argue that the onus is also on Scott to not be a dick.

Like they say - cause and effect.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Jobs didn't 'groom' anyone - he just said "You do it".
Watch some of the late Jobs' keynotes. He started letting the current executives to be more on the limelight. Jobs might be a jerk, but he's not a stupid businessman.
[doublepost=1498102530][/doublepost]
Apple has no vision, they slept and waked up to a Spotify-dominated world, and rushed to buy Beats to produce a half-baked horrible music UI. Still lagging behind in numbers and experience. Do you think the iPod visionary Steve Jobs would have let such travesty to happen?

Apple waked another day and forgot to update Mac Pro. 5 years.

Siri? Caveman AI for 7 years now, complete neglect.

And where's the revolutionary TV service? No. Vision.

And no, profit ≠ vision. Example: Microsoft.
Really? Travesty? Do you even understand Jobs' vision?
Again, go watch his interviews. If you think his vision is about the Mac Pro, then you have been living under a rock.
Jobs want the best computer for everyone, not some PC tower only for nerds. The trend is going to be wireless and mobile, and Apple's portfolio of chips are fulfilling towards that vision.

Siri? Do you even understand how technology works? Google Assistant feels better because Google is taking up all your privacy left and right. Apple doesn't do that due to their principle. The lack of data shows, but Apple is banking on AI and machine learning to compensate. These personal assistants are still in their infancy, not worth the judgement today. And guess what, Siri is powered by Microsoft/Bing. So you think Microsoft's tech is caveman as well?

TV service? Again, really? Do you understand the TV industry? The cable TV cabal? Apple already had a hard time dealing with the music industry. Dealing with the telecom companies with hard monopolies is another ballgame. See Netflix. They didn't become a success overnight, and they have been in that area for longer than Apple. Apple is learning by catering to the content creators. And NO, a TV service is not a vision. The vision is going to be the business model for Apple (be it hardware, services, they are still exploring), not the TV service itself.

Sounds like you can only see "vision" by the surface. And what about Microsoft? Do you think making laptops is their vision? You are foolish. Microsoft is making insane profits in the enterprise market. So profits may not be equal to vision, but you need profit to build things to achieve the vision. Unless you want Apple to be like another Acer, making cheap laptops and PCs. Good thing Jobs made sure that didn't happen by stopping the licensing of the Mac.
[doublepost=1498102901][/doublepost]
I don't think we really know enough about Scott's departure. Things are always more complex than they appear.

Again, I don't have anything to back this up, but sometimes you need someone who is a pain in the *** to not slip into mediocrity. And I think there are too many "Yes Men" at Apple now. We need an SOB like Scott to stand up for what's right and not for what makes the most profit in the short term.
And you already made assumptions that Apple is all just "Yes Men," doing nothing, ignoring Apple's real achievements in system on chips and software technologies.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
iOS 1 through 6 were absolutely beautiful.

iOS 7+ is UGLY UGLY UGLY. Flat and uninspired, it's a workhorse OS, but wow, it looks terrible.

I saw a mockup the other day of the control center using the iOS 6 design style. Apple should hire the guy who did that, and fire Ive.

Look, Jonathan Ive did some really good work with hardware design years ago. But he's not had a good idea since 2009, and he's had lots of bad ones since then. He should never have been allowed to touch UI design at all, he's never done anything good with software.

Scott Forstall made some mistakes (10.7, maps) but his work was mostly good.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
To add...

Scott Forstall
Stubborn? Check.
Demanding? Check.
Intelligent? Check

While working at Disney a few years back, they gave the supervisors in my area a "leadership" test. I was the only one that fell into the "CEO Leadership" style, based on my survey. It meant that I was a real, big jerk :p. Scott Forstall is often outcasted for being...well...a jerk. Steve Jobs? Jerk too. Walt Disney? Mega jerk. Donald Trump? Ok not a good example. You get the point ;)

Being the CEO of a company doesn't mean you have to be friends with your co-workers, in fact, most CEOs are sociopaths. I wouldn't say I don't care about other people at my job, I do tremendously, I just have a very focused viewpoint of how things should be done and I want them done correctly, the first time. I'm very passionate. People with this type of leadership style, which seems to fit the bill for Forstall, can be quite difficult to deal with. Would I want to work for myself? Probably not. It's not easy working with perfectionists, but hey, we get the job done.

At the end of the day, production talks. The iPhone is arguably the best consumer device ever produced. Forstall clearly has the talent to create and release new, innovative products.

Being a “jerk” may be a common trait of a successful leader but it is not a reliable indicator of one. In other words, correlation =/= causation.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The key to Apple's success?

Ive's hardware design vs. Forstall's software design, with Steve Jobs's keen perceptiveness and sensibiity mediating and adjudicating!

Still not in the gloom-and-doom "Jobs-gone, no-innovation at Apple" camp, but we've lost that marvelous, imaginative, wildly creative, and functional interplay.

Forstall, Ive's early hardware design prowess, Ave T and that genius that made Snow Leopard incredibly refined VERY fast a LOT less space consuming on the HDD - dare I say more efficient than what AFS is bringing to us soon!! Yeah that "start your photocopiers" genius who's now moved onto scientific computing engineering ... and just about anyone else from the NeXT team!

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
I haven't written here in a long time, there are way too many apologists in the forums, either paid (Hi Apple) or willing followers.

I still believe, that Apple should take Forstall back. A company that runs on consensus alone will not innovate.
Yes, Forstall made mistakes and he may have been a pain in the ... but so was Steve and look what he achieved. It's the outcome that matters.

And as long as nobody objects to Tim's, Jonny's ideas we will have white backgrounds, BIIIIG unused spaces, fonts people can't read and shortcuts that do not make sense.

I want Forstall back. Because I want Apple to thrive. I want to have fun again with Apple and it's been a long time, since I was having fun with my Apple products. The company has begun to be complacent with its successes of the past.

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA
I haven't written here in a long time, there are way too many apologists in the forums, either paid (Hi Apple) or willing followers.

I still believe, that Apple should take Forstall back. A company that runs on consensus alone will not innovate.
Yes, Forstall made mistakes and he may have been a pain in the ... but so was Steve and look what he achieved. It's the outcome that matters.

And as long as nobody objects to Tim's, Jonny's ideas we will have white backgrounds, BIIIIG unused spaces, fonts people can't read and shortcuts that do not make sense.

I want Forstall back. Because I want Apple to thrive. I want to have fun again with Apple and it's been a long time, since I was having fun with my Apple products. The company has begun to be complacent with its successes of the past.
Remember the old day, they fight each other, such as Forstall and Fadell can't get along, Avie Tevanian hate Jony.... the list goes on..... and Steve Jobs said it before, Grade A players are pain in the ass to manage, and I still believing it, so try to smooth things out like what Tim does is not good for innovation process, thats what I thought.

Well, I don't think Jony is a issue, at least he was being great with Steve and Scott around, but kinda fade out after his "buddy" left Apple, well as far as I seen is Tim's problem, and he just can't fire Jony(and I think he really wanna do) because he has really great iconic image of Apple.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

Preach brother.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
While you might think that makes you sound "edgy and a rebel," it also presents many problems:

- You are highly vulnerable to security flaws that were patched in later OS versions.
- Many of the apps in the App Store won't run on iOS 6 or lower. Definitely not the advanced software.
- You can't get a new iPhone model or it will have upgraded software that can't officially be downgraded.
- You might find yourself stuck if your phone ever has a hardware problem.
- You can't use iCloud Drive if you have space issues.

Perhaps you can list the advantages of sticking with that version? I can't imagine those are devices that you use on a regular primary iOS device.
It's funny you think I care about any of those things, though I can understand why you might.
- I dgaf about security as I store/do nothing that important on my phone.
- I only use a few third-party apps, only a couple of which have a web-backend (so the others don't even need updates) and those I can live without.
- I'm very happy with my iPhone 5 and since it doesn't get updated, it never gets any slower. I've checked, and most basic tasks I use my phone for are no faster on an iPhone 7 with the exception of the camera and booting.
- I've had a battery, LCD assembly, and baseband fail. But I have several devices all running iOS 6 and I replace components or move to a different device as necessary.
- I don't even use iCloud at all (except for email) but even in that case I configure it manually. I do have space issues as storage is much too limited but I've lived with that since my first iPhone, so I've managed.

I use iOS 6 because I abhor new versions of iOS (and Android ftr). Apple destroyed everything I liked about the phone. There's very little I would get out of using something newer, and in most cases (Music, lockscreen, Messages, Reminders, Maps, etc.), I strongly prefer how they used to work. And yes, aside from my occasional use of iPod touches for music and other iPhones for video recording, I exclusively use an iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.4.
As compared to iOS 11? With that good looking control centre that isn't a complete mess, the notification centre that makes perfect design sense, and the rest of the UI filled with blown up fonts and tons of white space everywhere which isn't so blinding to the point where everyone isn't practically begging for a dark mode? Let's shove reduce motion, darken colours, reduce transparency, button shapes etc. in the settings to make the OS more barable, eh?

iOS 6 had none of this and in my opinion still looks premium and not like a cheap toy with no personality, joy, or warmth. It also performs better than a 2017 A10 iPhone (I know because I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6), and has virtually zero lag or random jitters unlike today. A 4 year old OS running on 2012 hardware that runs smoother and more seamless than todays. Oh, and a music app didn't completely suck balls.
All of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: hugo7

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stupid comparison. It's like saying Belfiore > Satya. Two different persons with different skill sets and expertise. Forstall cannot run a company. Tim Cook can, which is why Jobs himself groomed him to be the next CEO. When fired, Jobs went ahead started Next. Forstall is doing nothing. I don't understand why people keeps idolizing him today.

Then you really need to see the video!

Why do you think Jobs' hired him when he started Next?
Hmmm let's think:
Worked with FBI
Top graduate in university with some AI knowledge right at it's infancy
worked as an intern at Microsoft
Has pure programming chops!

Figure out why he along with top staff was part of the package deal when Jobs returned to Apple, why HE showed off the iPhone to the top Cingular, ahem new AT&T executives the day of the public presentation at WWDC.

my you figure it out.
[doublepost=1498183139][/doublepost]
Who said Apple needs anyone other than cook? They seem to be doing quite well with cook at the helm in spite of the "Apple is doomed" memes for the last 6 years.
Doing 'quite well' is not what the older fans and users of Apple are quite used to. Seems Apple has become the square pegs in the puzzle.

Reactions: atropos

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA

Hmmm let's think:
Worked with FBI

Figure out why he along with top staff was part of the package deal when Jobs returned to Apple, why HE showed off the iPhone to the top Cingular, ahem new AT&T executives the day of the public presentation at WWDC.

my you figure it out.
Doing 'quite well' is not what the older fans and users of Apple are quite used to. Seems Apple has become the square pegs in the puzzle.
I m with you bro, remember the good old day with Scott, Avie, Tony ...they are warriors( well, that's what I call them)..

zkadda

Suspended
Jun 21, 2017
Could they have possibly chosen a WORSE platform to upload the video to than FakeBook? Not only is the video NOT IN HD, the audio is APPALLING. You'd think curators of a computer museum would know a little about how to use them.

Vimeo: YES

YouTube: YES

FaceBook? ... ermmmm, me no fink so.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Hmmm let's think:
Worked with FBI

my you figure it out.
"Older fans" and "newer fans" have differing views. Nothing wrong with that, and then of course there is: "this is the current state, like it or not.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I for one don't miss him...

iOS 7 was such a fresh coat of paint. I HATE skeuomorphism and really, making the notes look like the interior of a notepad? That was "so" cheap looking. Flat look is much better. I really would have never bought an iPhone before iOS 7. I had iPads though from the 1st gen and I HATED the OS. When I put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 it was like Christmas. Truly.

I also feel the iPhone truly became interesting to me starting with the 5s. The OS was right, the features were right, etc. If I had to run iOS 6 I'd shoot myself probably, or use a flip phone. It was an ugly OS IMO. My first iPhone was the 6 Plus. Now that was an amazing phone as a first time iPhone owner. I loved how much better it performed than my prior phones. It was a good fit for me. Bigger screen. Then I owned a 6S Plus and now a 7 Plus. I like new iPhones every year - fresh.

It's like those that are "Snow Leopard or die" or "Server since Snow Leopard isn't a real Server OS" or "iOS 6 and before were better". Sure, if you like living in the dark ages. Me, I'll take new and much improved. TEHO, YMMV, etc. Same with this whole hatred of the post-Steve Apple. I for one love what Tim is doing. I think is doing an amazing job thus far, IMO.

Lmao ... interior of notes look like a notepad ... what gets more FLAT than THAT? It gives a sense of reference to scale of your text entered! Actually did you realize early notes had NO LINES ... it was completely a FLAT canvas originally. So not sure what on earth you're talking about nor where your 'hate' truely lies in.

you hated the OS from the first gen but you had 'iPads' as in plural! Again why the hate if you keep purchasing, not selling what was won or returning what was gifted or just not accepting if you 'hated' them? Hate is a very powerful word but used so commonly not sure anyone feels it fully in todays world.

For me the features where right and the OS began being really fast on the iPhone 4/4S. That's when the global sales began to leap beyond the sky's. The fit and finish, the quality materials Apple purity with respect to attention to detail.

Scott's intensely focus work in terms of icons really shined with retina display when introduced on the iPhone 4! NO OTHER MOBILE OS prior to it's launch EVER had icons or graphics looking that good. And I used them all:

Microsoft Windows CE
- HP Jornada
- casio cassiopeia em-500
Microsoft Smartphone Edtion 6.0 & Pocket PC-PE (Phone Edition):
- Motorola Q9c
- HTC Dream
- Compaq iPaq H5560 (yes before HP purchased Compaq)
- HP 64xx (T-Mobile release, forgot the name but its' the one that screwd up data connectivity in the USA launch weekend because T-Mobile tried to use IMEI segregation to allow a new cheap data plan specifically for this iPaq.
Palm
- Pilot III
- Palm Vx
- M505/M525
- Tungsten T
- Treo 2x0 (their first phone which was a clamshell greyscale)
- Treo 270 (their second phone which was the same design as above yet with a 256bit colour screen)
- Sony Cleo (one of the early models with a 270degree camera)
PSion (aka evolved into Symbian/UIQ)
- Ericsson R38x (Psion OS - while many still where playing with Palm Pilot III PDA's Europe was using these)
- Nokia Communicator (the original featured in 'The Saint' with Val Kilmer ... yeah pure brick)
- Nokia N95 - dropped it like a hot potato
- Nokia N82 - loved the perforated metal hardware menu key that "pulsed" LED light for notifications (actually first phone ever to use a real LED vs a light bulb on a BB)
- Nokia E72-i ... LOVED this much better application ecosystem than BB and pulled me away loved it!
- Nokia E90 just for novelty sold it quite far too big in it's day.
- Nokia E97 the only really close challenger to Apple iPhone 3G was great they had something but the OS couldn't keep up.
- SonyEricsson P900 & P990.
BlackBerry OS
- Blackberry Pearl 8100
- BlackBerry 8800/8820
- BlackBerry 8300/8320
- BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 - the first real BB's I loved but GAD's the menus where ENDLESS! FRAK-ME!!!
(Scott Forstall REALLY knew what he was talking about in the video where lawyers worked at Law firms that forced you to use a BB but they still hated it. Sure the status quo of importance it was a symbol of that in N.America at the time.
- BB10 devices (everyone except for the Leap) for a bit YUCK! Email still fared better than iOS mail on iPhone even today. I wrote a glaring email to Craig F and Tim C together. no reply of course.
Android
- Galaxy S3
- Xperia Arc S
- Nexus 4 (beautiful hardware design with Glass back ... LG really outdid Apple on this one at the time)
- Xperia Z5 (best experience I've had with Android but that was the problem Android - so many apps that should worked wouldn't install from PlayStore marked as not compatible but the specs where MORE than accurate Grrrr).
Sony did do a great job though.

Apple 3G, 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S (loved the edges loved it), 6S x3

Yup I can honestly tell you NO smartphone OS prior to the iPhone 4/4S EVER looked so incredibly inviting or clear or awesome when these launched!!

PS: For those of you that thought Android was the first to have widgets ... think again.
nokia-n97-white-open-keyboard_horiz-450.jpg

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Lmao ... interior of notes look like a notepad ... what gets more FLAT than THAT? It gives a sense of reference to scale of your text entered! Actually did you realize early notes had NO LINES ... it was completely a FLAT canvas originally. So not sure what on earth you're talking about nor where your 'hate' truely lies in.

you hated the OS from the first gen but you had 'iPads' as in plural! Again why the hate if you keep purchasing, not selling what was won or returning what was gifted or just not accepting if you 'hated' them? Hate is a very powerful word but used so commonly not sure anyone feels it fully in todays world.

For me the features where right and the OS began being really fast on the iPhone 4/4S. That's when the global sales began to leap beyond the sky's. The fit and finish, the quality materials Apple purity with respect to attention to detail.

Scott's intensely focus work in terms of icons really shined with retina display when introduced on the iPhone 4! NO OTHER MOBILE OS prior to it's launch EVER had icons or graphics looking that good. And I used them all:

Microsoft Windows CE
- HP Jornada
- casio cassiopeia em-500
Microsoft Smartphone Edtion 6.0 & Pocket PC-PE (Phone Edition):
- Motorola Q9c
- HTC Dream
- Compaq iPaq H5560 (yes before HP purchased Compaq)
- HP 64xx (T-Mobile release, forgot the name but its' the one that screwd up data connectivity in the USA launch weekend because T-Mobile tried to use IMEI segregation to allow a new cheap data plan specifically for this iPaq.
Palm
- Pilot III
- Palm Vx
- M505/M525
- Tungsten T
- Treo 2x0 (their first phone which was a clamshell greyscale)
- Treo 270 (their second phone which was the same design as above yet with a 256bit colour screen)
- Sony Cleo (one of the early models with a 270degree camera)
PSion (aka evolved into Symbian/UIQ)
- Ericsson R38x (Psion OS - while many still where playing with Palm Pilot III PDA's Europe was using these)
- Nokia Communicator (the original featured in 'The Saint' with Val Kilmer ... yeah pure brick)
- Nokia N95 - dropped it like a hot potato
- Nokia N82 - loved the perforated metal hardware menu key that "pulsed" LED light for notifications (actually first phone ever to use a real LED vs a light bulb on a BB)
- Nokia E72-i ... LOVED this much better application ecosystem than BB and pulled me away loved it!
- Nokia E90 just for novelty sold it quite far too big in it's day.
- Nokia E97 the only really close challenger to Apple iPhone 3G was great they had something but the OS couldn't keep up.
- SonyEricsson P900 & P990.
BlackBerry OS
- Blackberry Pearl 8100
- BlackBerry 8800/8820
- BlackBerry 8300/8320
- BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 - the first real BB's I loved but GAD's the menus where ENDLESS! FRAK-ME!!!
(Scott Forstall REALLY knew what he was talking about in the video where lawyers worked at Law firms that forced you to use a BB but they still hated it. Sure the status quo of importance it was a symbol of that in N.America at the time.
- BB10 devices (everyone except for the Leap) for a bit YUCK! Email still fared better than iOS mail on iPhone even today. I wrote a glaring email to Craig F and Tim C together. no reply of course.
Android
- Galaxy S3
- Xperia Arc S
- Nexus 4 (beautiful hardware design with Glass back ... LG really outdid Apple on this one at the time)
- Xperia Z5 (best experience I've had with Android but that was the problem Android - so many apps that should worked wouldn't install from PlayStore marked as not compatible but the specs where MORE than accurate Grrrr).
Sony did do a great job though.

Apple 3G, 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S (loved the edges loved it), 6S x3

Yup I can honestly tell you NO smartphone OS prior to the iPhone 4/4S EVER looked so incredibly inviting or clear or awesome when these launched!!

PS: For those of you that thought Android was the first to have widgets ... think again.
nokia-n97-white-open-keyboard_horiz-450.jpg

Nothing looked as good as the original Mac either. Windows 95 was pretty much as good as UI got at the time. Would you argue those designs are still what should be considred state of the art? That there’s no point in doing anything but repeating them? No, I though not.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I've watched the video, it was funny and interesting. The best part was the anecdote about Jobs paying lunch with his badge, and I loved the question about the skirt.
During the interview it was clear Forstall had a strong relationship with Jobs, he seems to me he was moved when he talked about Steve saving his life, or calling him during the night while testing the phone.
Too bad they are not part of Apple anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.