Forum background is too bright

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Just visited MacRumors today and was surprised to find a redesigned forum. Whilst for the most part I welcome the refresh (the old forums looked kinda dated), the current design us not so easy on the eyes when reading through the forums - the background colour is too bright.

Instead of white, maybe you could tone it down to a colour which makes the text, buttons and icons stand out more whilst making it less 'dazzling' on the eyes?

Hoping this is not just me. :|

Thanks ;)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have no issue with the white as it currently exists, but to accommodate different preferences, I wonder could this new forum software allow the user to set page color or theme options other than text size, color and font?

Last edited:

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Is it possible to customize per user?

I think a little darker / light gray would work good.

I can tell that this new display is taxing on my video card on this Lenovo T430.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have no issue with the white as it currently exists, but to accommodate different preferences, I wonder could this new forum software allow the user to set page color or theme options other than text size, color and font?
Xenforo does have options to set color themes.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
how do you set a different default font size? that is one of my biggest gripes with the new look

Moonjumper

macrumors 68010
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Many forums seem to be changing to this overly bright background. The only one of those I still use regularly offers an alternative skin (vB 3.x - fluid) that allows me to continue using without eyestrain.

Reactions: sunking101

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
how do you set a different default font size? that is one of my biggest gripes with the new look
Oh, I was thinking of altering font size, not a default different size. I think Firefox has some preferences that set default web page font sizes, but I've not played with that. On the iPad, I am unaware of any Safari settings to change default font size.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah, it's too bright. I used to spend a long time here (probably too long:rolleyes:) but now I have to slope off after 5-10 mins because my eyes are fatigued.

s1m

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
This new theme makes it easier for Astronauts on the ISS to view your posts as it is so bright you can probably see it from space.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm also interested in a darker theme. This is just uncomfortable to read for any length of time.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Hi guys,

Just visited MacRumors today and was surprised to find a redesigned forum. Whilst for the most part I welcome the refresh (the old forums looked kinda dated), the current design us not so easy on the eyes when reading through the forums - the background colour is too bright.

Instead of white, maybe you could tone it down to a colour which makes the text, buttons and icons stand out more whilst making it less 'dazzling' on the eyes?

Hoping this is not just me. :|

Thanks ;)
Agree 1000%! Who designs these "updates", someone who has no eyes??? Fix this. My eyes hurt.

Reactions: kettle

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
If you add this to your user stylesheet:
Code:
.mainContainer_noSidebar *, body.SelectQuotable {
    background: #333 !important;
    color: #ccc !important;
}
MacRumors will look a bit like this in some areas:

And if you add:
Code:
.mainContainer_noSidebar *, body.SelectQuotable {
    background: #e9e9e9 !important;
}
You'll get something like this:

@redheeler might be able to provide something more robust and attractive.

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

Noidea55

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
Ah the Forum background is merely following the grand tradition set by Apple Photos...must be a trend?