Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
I would suggest not doing anything with these Shuffles (2nd or 4th) that involves humidity, sweating, or any sort of condensation. Shuffles short circuit and die when exposed to any sort of water. Mine died while I was on a walk a couple of weeks ago because it was 108 outside and it was clipped to my shorts and got some sweat on it. POS.

I listen to mine every day in the sauna at the gym (140-150 degrees in there). That's after lifting weights, biking, whatever..... I wouldn't call it a POS, just some bad luck. It's been going strong for 2+ years after a ton of abuse.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I would suggest not doing anything with these Shuffles (2nd or 4th) that involves humidity, sweating, or any sort of condensation. Shuffles short circuit and die when exposed to any sort of water. Mine died while I was on a walk a couple of weeks ago because it was 108 outside and it was clipped to my shorts and got some sweat on it. POS.

I only use my Shuffle for exercise, hiking, running etc and it has never let me down. I bought mine in September 2006 and its still going strong after sweat, light drizzle, fog/mist. Tough as nails that iPod.

Sounds like you bought a dud one. Or did you mean the 3rd gen?

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Maybe you just had bad luck. I have a 2nd gen that I used all the time at the gym and while running outside in the southeast US (hot and humid). I live in a much dryer climate now and use it nearly every day in the sauna before and after lifting. It also is light enough that I use it while shooting and sometimes even playing basketball. From my experience it has been one of the most rugged iPods that Apple has released.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Isn't the "small" war over? I mean how small do things need to be? Glad they ditched the headphones 2nd generation shuffle is still the best though.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The Jack/USB all-in-one connection is awesome. I wish all iPods used that and it would be awesome if every connector was a Jack. There is no wrong way to plug it in, it's tiny and is easy to connect/disconnect. Why isn't every connector a Jack?

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
My first gen shuffle was a great ipod, I could slip it into the waistband of my shorts at the gym, and it survived some rough treatment and never skipped a beat. I've still got it as a spare.

a cat *miaow*

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
When you see this and the slide from the launch presentation the 3rd generation sticks out so badly... was horrible when it was launched and as time goes on it gets worse... awful piece of design.. the new versions however are very nice! :)

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I have both 1st gen and 2nd gen Shuffle, and hated the 3rd gen for ditching the physical control with stupid morse code control.

This one seems like a great improvement from the 2nd gen. But I wish it's 4GB instead. It's the perfect memory size for device like this.

codeus

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Still love my 3G with Sennheiser Ear Phones and the Belkin in-line controller, silly-small!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Nice to see others still using their 512mb first gen. I love mine! It's been a rock for over 5 years.

I'm still rocking away on a 1st Gen. 1GB Shuffle. I only use it for running, but the battery is still strong and and no issues at all. The integrated USB is nice, but I wish it had a clip like the newer ones.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I think a cross between the 1st gen and 2nd/4th gen would make for the best shuffle ever. Give me a retractable USB connector (like the Sandisk Cruzer memory stick) on a small ipod with clip, controls on the body, and you would have a real winner. Something like that would live on my keychain and serve double duty as a memory stick.

3rd gen, with the exception of the VoiceOver feature, was the WORST IPOD EVER by far.

punchdrunk55

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Plan on picking one up tomorrow or whenever my nearest store gets them in stock. I need new headphones so I might as well pick this up for $50 since it already includes headphones... I've always wanted a Shuffle to use for workouts. This seems like a deal I can't pass up.

Last time I did that the headphones ended up being half the length and way too short, I'm not sure if they still pack in short ones but I would find out.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The Jack/USB all-in-one connection is awesome. I wish all iPods used that and it would be awesome if every connector was a Jack. There is no wrong way to plug it in, it's tiny and is easy to connect/disconnect. Why isn't every connector a Jack?

While this works fine for the iPod shuffle it would not work fine with any other device. The Nano, Touch and iPod Classic (not to mention the iPhone & iPad) all use the 30-pin Dock Connector so they are compatible with accessories like chargers, video output cables, FM tuners, remotes, docks, accessories etc.

Since the iPod shuffle doesn't need or can't use any of those features they are able to use a simple port for just charging, data transfer, and audio output.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Ying And Yang

Ying:D - kudos to Apple for listening to the users and bringing back the clickwheel on the Shuffle along with a standard headphone jack

Yang:( - Apple really blew it with the Nano, same price and capacity for a LOT less.

One step forward and one step back.....

jpswansea

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
UK
Ipod Shuffle

Glad they have re-introduced the buttons especially considering the Nano is now touch screen. Some people will always prefer a tactile feel so surely this is a positive move.

Sorry to hear that the cable has been shortened. Shame. But like some of you have mentioned it's probably because of the packaging.

Thanks
Jules :)

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
But Apple Took Away The 4GB Shuffle

Ying:D - kudos to Apple for listening to the users and bringing back the clickwheel on the Shuffle along with a standard headphone jack

Yang:( - Apple really blew it with the Nano, same price and capacity for a LOT less.

One step forward and one step back.....
But the missing 4GB Shuffle has forced me to buy a 3rd Gen 4GB Shuffle for $67 @ MacConnection.
Something like that would live on my keychain and serve double duty as a 3rd gen, with the exception of the VoiceOver feature, was the WORST IPOD EVER by far.
But maybe not.

jmull

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I would lose that tiny thing the first week. Too bad no camera though, would make a nice spy-cam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.