Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Apple did something similar to this in 2012 with the introduction of "the New iPad" (aka the iPad, 3rd gen with retina display.) Six months later - breaking the year-long release cycle for the first and only time - the 4th generation was released and was much improved. I'm one of those suckers who bought the 3rd gen. Never again.

How come I never thought of this? That we don't have to wait a year for this to come out. This would be a really good thing. People shouldn't be so worried.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I shall wait until it's been officially released before getting excited as much will change between now and then. Speculating only feeds disappointment when what you thought is compared to what actually is released.

Every next Gen iPhone is the best one yet, until it's released and you find it doesn't come with all the gee whiz bells and whistles promised in the leaked press releases.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Apple did something similar to this in 2012 with the introduction of "the New iPad" (aka the iPad, 3rd gen with retina display.) Six months later - breaking the year-long release cycle for the first and only time - the 4th generation was released and was much improved. I'm one of those suckers who bought the 3rd gen. Never again.

I was waiting and hoping the iPad 2 would be retina, when it came out without retina I decided not to buy it but I was primed to buy the 3. Luckily I'd learned my lesson with Apple, always wait a month and read reviews, so I knew the 3 was garbage. I bought the 4 at the black friday sale a couple of weeks after it launched.

At least that meant it only cost me $450 to learn that tablets aren't for me. I barely used the thing and I don't even remember the last time I charged it.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
The speed at which new rumors reach further and further into the future seems ok track to obey Moore's Law this year.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Interesting that Apple Insider replaced the render of a drop dead gorgeous glass backed phone, with a picture of Tim Cook. Must have been a priority phone call. Bad for sales of the iphone 7

Reactions: Aston441

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The real iPhone 7 ladies and gentlemen.. Also my iPhone 4 was my favourite iPhone by far.
Agreed. The 4 introduced a drool inducing design. The 4S introduced an amazing camera/Siri/insane speeds and the last iOS to actually not be riddled with bugs that took MONTHS to fix. Honestly I'm glad Im on the S cycle every two years.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
What about the burn in screens of OLEDs? How will Apple resolve that? If not, this year's iPhone maybe my choice since I leave screen on for long periods of time..

Reactions: Aston441

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Updating this fall on my 2-year contract cycle - looking forward to the refined 2018 model - the 2018 model will be THE beast with BOTH design and internals.
Why do i have a feeling, that next year Will be more of a design and display update but less of a technical upgrade without a lot of speed increase?
I have a feeling the tech spec upgrade/speed improvement will be more impressive this year with the iPhone 7.
Seems the other way around..

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
You keep telling yourself that. The same way the BB users keep telling themselves that buy BB for security. Manufacturers love true believers like you.

Sounds like you might have wandered into the wrong neighbourhood my friend, better turn back while you can. Watch your back around these here parts.

/s

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
If the rumors are true, I imagine this year's sales numbers won't be very pretty to look at. I'm all set to upgrade, but I can wait another year if that's when the real "iphone 7" will come out.

jedifaka

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
California
My last phone was all glass. My current one contains no glass. While the glass imparts a feeling of refinement that unbreakable laminates can't, I think there's a genuine but different kind of appeal to using a phone you don't have to coddle.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
That render of the phone is beautiful... instead of getting transgender or poop emoji's in all colors, can we get a better looking phone?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If the rumors are true, I imagine this year's sales numbers won't be very pretty to look at. I'm all set to upgrade, but I can wait another year if that's when the real "iphone 7" will come out.
Wouldn't shock me to see plenty go to note 7 for at least a year

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I would so agree with you on this mate. I am way more excited for next years iPhone than this years. I am so excited to move to T-Mobile but unfortunately, I still have a year left with AT&T. Next year is the iPhone to get![/QUOTE
T-Mobile will pay your costs to break away from AT&T! That's what they did for us. Granted, T-Mobile doesn't quite have the coverage of ATT but their pricing and customer perks are more than worth it.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Who is being lazy?

Is it the lack of a completely redesigned case that defines laziness to you? Apple developing the best SoC for mobile devices in the world is laziness?
Ignore that fool. I'm excited too. I'm actually more excited than I have been in a couple of years. For me, the 6/6S is too big, the SE doesn't have enough capacity, and the whole force touch thing is meh.

The SE's success will remind Apple that there's a market for smaller phones. If they don't cripple the smaller one with humorous RAM I'll snap one up in a heartbeat. Especially if they put in a superb camera.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
What about the burn in screens of OLEDs? How will Apple resolve that? If not, this year's iPhone maybe my choice since I leave screen on for long periods of time..

Apple's got nothing to do with these screens. It's all Samsung innovation driving OLED displays. Apple is just on board for the ride. They're not a true OEM like Samsung.

Reactions: rjohnstone

Pentium

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Los Angeles
Ignore that fool. I'm excited too. I'm actually more excited than I have been in a couple of years. For me, the 6/6S is too big, the SE doesn't have enough capacity, and the whole force touch thing is meh.

The SE's success will remind Apple that there's a market for smaller phones. If they don't cripple the smaller one with humorous RAM I'll snap one up in a heartbeat. Especially if they put in a superb camera.

Do expect that Apple will announce an SE successor just 5 months after releasing it?

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Wouldn't shock me to see plenty go to note 7 for at least a year

Remember, MR readers are an infinitismial amount of folks, and the trollers an even smaller subset of that. In contrast, the vast, vast majority of iPhone users and wannabes love iPhones and the related Apple ecosystem. As a result, while you may not buy the new model, conservative estimates are that somewhere around 70 million people will buy it, just in the next quarter. At the end of a year, probably close to 200 million people will have bought it.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Seriously, who cares about what the case looks like. It's the internals that really matter. I'd be perfectly happy to see the same design every year, if Apple made some worthwhile upgrades to the guts of the phone. Until an iPhone is on par with other flagship models from the likes of Samsung, I'll pass. MINIMUM features include:

• 4 gb of memory
  • 64 gb MINIMUM of storage
  • 4k screen
  • an 8 core processor
  • water proofing
  • a headphone socket
  • a retina eye scanner
  • fast charging
  • wireless charging

This is what I will get, if I buy a similarly priced phone from another manufacturer. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect something similar from Apple. Since I can't see even the iPhone 8 having all these, I'll pass.
[doublepost=1470778679][/doublepost]Unfortunately, what wouldn't surprise me is Apple doing a typical lack-luster speed etc bump for the iPhone 8, but then also bringing out a super expensive tenth anniversary special edition with all the extra features etc that we are seeing in the rumours.

This would certainly seem to fit the approach that the company has. It's almost a definite that they will use the 10th year anniversary of the iPhone as a marketing tactic to increase their profit margins even further.

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
When that thing got announced, the world gasped. It was unlike anything we'd seen before with a totally new way of designing and constructing mobile devices out of premium materials. Regardless of antenna-gate, that thing was amazing. Not to mention it was the first smartphone with a display of the resolution, everyone was talking about how 'crystal clear' Retina was. I can hear Steve Jobs right now saying, "You cannot see the pixels!"

That was a solid announcement. Miss Steve Jobs for his stage presence especially. But the announcement would've been so much better if Gizmodo hadn't leaked the pictures/iPhone 4.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Seriously, who cares about what the case looks like. It's the internals that really matter. I'd be perfectly happy to see the same design every year, if Apple made some worthwhile upgrades to the guts of the phone. Until an iPhone is on par with other flagship models from the likes of Samsung, I'll pass. MINIMUM features include:

• 4 gb of memory
  • 64 gb MINIMUM of storage
  • 4k screen
  • an 8 core processor
  • water proofing
  • a headphone socket
  • a retina eye scanner
  • fast charging
  • wireless charging

This is what I will get, if I buy a similarly priced phone from another manufacturer. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect something similar from Apple. Since I can't see even the iPhone 8 having all these, I'll pass.
A retina scanner made your deal breaker list?! Um, wow.

I'm also interested in understanding the allure of wireless charging.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
That was a solid announcement. Miss Steve Jobs for his stage presence especially. But the announcement would've been so much better if Gizmodo hadn't leaked the pictures/iPhone 4.

Meh. That one was more on Apple's head. A secret device should not have been left in a public place. Mistakes happen, but you can't blame Gizmodo for not missing out on the story of the year and all those lovely clicks.

kdarling

macrumors P6
When that thing got announced, the world gasped. It was unlike anything we'd seen before with a totally new way of designing and constructing mobile devices out of premium materials.

Well, except for expensive Vertu phones, that is :)

Regardless of antenna-gate, that thing was amazing. Not to mention it was the first smartphone with a display of the resolution, everyone was talking about how 'crystal clear' Retina was. I can hear Steve Jobs right now saying, "You cannot see the pixels!"

It was not the first.

Back in summer 2007 when the original 320x480 @163 PPI iPhone first went on sale, you could buy a Toshiba Protege smartphone with a WVGA 480x800 @312 PPI screen. (It also had a fingerprint sensor, 3G radio, Opera browser, and a front-facing camera for video calls.)

Other "retina" category displays that predated the 2010 iPhone 4 included the 2008 Sony Xperia X1 (312 PPI) and the 2009 Samsung Jet (301 PPI).

They were advertised as being the first "print quality" (300+ DPI) screened phones. That's why, years later, Apple had to come up with a different marketing name ("retina") for the exact same thing. Lord knows that Jobs was not about to say "And here's the not-first-print-quality screen on a phone!"

Last edited:
Reactions: jedifaka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.