MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 12 production at a Foxconn factory in India has been cut by more than 50% amid a lockdown, and multiple reported cases of COVID-19 infections for workers at the plant, according to a new report from Reuters.

iphone12-lineup-wide.jpg

The main factory located in Tamil Nadu, a state under extreme lockdown measures, has been forced to significantly cut back on production. According to sources who spoke to Reuters, employees at the Foxconn facility have only been able to leave, but not reenter.
More than 100 Foxconn employees in the state have tested positive for COVID-19 and the company has enforced a no-entry ban at its factory in the capital of Chennai until late May, one of the sources said.

"Employees are only allowed to leave but not to enter the facility since yesterday," the person said. "Only a small part of output is being kept."

More than 50% of the plant's capacity had been cut, both sources said, declining to be named as they were not authorised to speak to the media.
Foxconn stopped short on providing specific details but said in a statement that is it providing all infected employees with medical assistance.
"Foxconn places the health and safety of our employees as our highest priority and that is why we have been working closely with local government and public health authorities in India to address the challenges that we and all companies are facing in dealing with the COVID-19 crisis," it said in a statement to Reuters.
Earlier this year, Apple began production of the iPhone 12 in India as part of its continued push to remove reliance on suppliers and production in China. The significant slowdown of production for iPhones in India comes amid a wider global chip shortage, which so far has not impacted Apple's iPhone line, but is causing delays for the Mac and iPad.

Article Link: Foxconn's iPhone 12 Output in India Hit By Local Lockdowns

WoodpeckerBaby

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2016
Fortunately, Foxconn factories in Mainland China and Taiwan are running at full capacity. I don’t think iPad Pro and iPhone 13 will be affected by this.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPack and uther

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This is too weird. I know the cow is sacred in India. I follow a veggie diet myself. BUT.

Everyone knows it's cat dung that works. It clears the coronavirus miasma out of the air. Luckily my cat keeps its cat pans supplied.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
My heart genuinely goes out to the people of India. Just the other day my wife and I watched the news over Kodi. Very sad to see the real news that is not seen here in the US.

From an IT prospective.. I do wonder if contact tracing would have helped in anyway... ?

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So many people in such a small area, it’s gonna be a while before India gets over covid.
If they ever will, this corona virus is here to stay.

-------

It will probably get even worse, we will probably see the whole country shut down, including factories, for a few weeks/months, that in itself will create other problems, like most poor people not having any food.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Hearts and thoughts go out to the folks in India dealing with that out of control situation. Nearly all of the outsourced consulting work (at least by the big consulting companies) in the U.S. use people in India for the work (cause its cheap of course - called offshoring) and this surely will be impacting them as well.

Reactions: 1258186

coolbreeze2

Contributor
Sep 24, 2009
I wish Apple could build all their devices here in the USA. I understand that USA workers demand things like better pay, great health coverage, and other benefits; therefore, USA companies take production outside the country. They must because at the same time USA workers want all these great benefits and salaries, the USA market demands low prices and high quality. There needs to be a solution to bring manufacturing back home!!

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’m so greatful to have gotten my first shot. My mom also got her first shot and it’s the vaccine developed in India. I would have hoped after what happened in the US, China and Europe India would have taken this more serious. But the gatherings for religious festivals and elections and hesitancy to take the available vaccines is partly why this happening.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is too weird. I know the cow is sacred in India. I follow a veggie diet myself. BUT.

People follow advice that fits in with their world view. In Iran, hundreds and hundreds died from drinking methyl alcohole. Why? Islam forbids drinking alcohol. Conspiracy theory is that Islam forbids drinking alcohol because it is good for you. And since they don't drink alcohol usually, they don't know that there are kinds of alcohol that kill you. That particular theory wouldn't work in Western Europe at all.

In this case, cow dung from sacred cows - if you think cows are sacred, that particular conspiracy theory aims directly at you.

In the western world, they believe in Bill Gates injecting 5G antennas into you body to kill off 90% of the population with a poisonous vaccine. In the UK, he's conspiring either with Brexiters or Remainers or probably both. It seems we have raised lots of people who fall for this in the western world. If you told that story to an Indian preparing his cow dung drink, you would declare you mad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I think oxygen and medical care may be more important in India right now.
By building iPhones, you get money into the country that can be used to pay for oxygen supplies, vaccines, and medical care.
Yet in the USA can't give away the vaccine - we need to come up with monetary incentives for people to take them.
There was a survey I don't now where, either UK or USA, showing that one third of anti-vaxxers would take the vaccine if they were given $100 or £100. Which clearly proves they don't refuse because of any health concerns; if I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't take it for £10,000. They just refuse because they are useless people who think they can excert a tiny little bit of power by doing what's worst for them and their country.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: xbjllb and djc6

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There's no vaccine developed in India; I think they are producing lots of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine. Like the USA until 2020, and Brazil today, they have a president who needed or needs to prove he is a macho man with the results that can be accepted.

But you are wrong about hesitancy to take vaccines: The population is crying out for vaccines. But there are 1.3 billion of them. Even if they vaccinate more than the UK, that is just a drop in the ocean. And you can't increase capacity easily. It takes time and money. Plus some vital raw materials are "protected" by US patents and are hard to get.
COVAXIN® - India's First Indigenous COVID-19 Vaccine

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Any weirder than this?

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Anyone wishing to understand the wave in India should consult (PhD, not medical) Dr. John Campbell's excellent YouTube channel. This is a good start:

Reactions: meaning-matters

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I wish Apple could build all their devices here in the USA. I understand that USA workers demand things like better pay, great health coverage, and other benefits; therefore, USA companies take production outside the country. They must because at the same time USA workers want all these great benefits and salaries, the USA market demands low prices and high quality. There needs to be a solution to bring manufacturing back home!!

wages and compensation are not the main reasons. All electronics are made up of hundreds of parts created by various manufacturers. Most of not all of these components are created by manufacturers located in Southeast Asia.
Logistically it makes sense to assemble your device close to where the parts are made. Otherwise you would have to ship it all here just to get assembled. That adds time to the process.

ericwn

macrumors G3
Apr 24, 2016

The iPhone production was never “home” in the US. They produce for a worldwide group of customers.

But since capitalism drives these decisions and led us here, I wonder what you like to replace it with?

Reactions: DoctorApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.