Free iLife '08 & iWork '08

AaronM58

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Just wanted to let you guys know what just happened when I called Apple. I ordered my SR MBP (1st mac) on July 18th & received last Thursday, August 2nd. It is absolutely flawless & I love it!! Well, when Tuesday rolled around & :apple: released iLife '08 & iWork '08, I was a little disappointed that I had missed out on the new update. So, even after reading all the posts about people saying that :apple: refused to offer free versions to people that ordered right before the release, I decided to call Customer Service to see if I at least could qualify for the iLife '08 Hardware Up-To-Date rebate thing. ( http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/ ) I was connected to a representative (his name was Ernie) & told him how I had just received my MBP a week ago. Before I could even ask about an iLife discount, he tells me that he will ship me a copy free of charge. I was stunned!! I didn't even ask for ANYTHING free. But it gets better...after thanking him..he goes, "I bet you'd be interested in iWork as well right?" I said yes & he adds that onto my order...FREE OF CHARGE! I just can't believe this. It is nice to see that some companies (unlike Best Buy, Dell..just to name a few) appreciate the fact that their customers spend thousands of dollars & are WILLIING to help assist you when something like this occurs. I will definitely send Mr. Jobs an email bragging on Ernie & how he helped me out.

Let me know if any of you other guys (who just recieved your new MBP prior to the iLife & iWork release) have had any luck with :apple: providing the free upgrade...

JaceyMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Congrats. I also received my MBP on the 2nd Aug. I spoke to a Sales person yesterday and she gave me the details for the ilife up-to-date website and said I would just need to enter my serial number and it should be ok. Had no joy trying this, so I called again today and after explaining what I was told yesterday, the Sales guy said he would honour what I was told and I could get ilife 08 for £9.99. Although not free I am very pleased. :D

andriven

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
anyone else?

Has anyone else had this happen? I got my new MacBook Pro last Friday (ordered 3 weeks before that) and am wondering if I could get iLife 08 for free.

Also, had you purchased iWork or did he just throw that in period?

Definitely a pretty awesome experience.....wish I had Ernie's direct extension. ;)

Xeno

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Nice. It seems like you just have to get the right person on the phone. The first time I called they said my only option was to pay retail price, but the second time I called they offered me it for 50% off. I didn't want to risk losing that offer, so I accepted it. That's good enough for me, I guess. Plus, I got tired of listening to all the lame waiting music. :rolleyes:

johnwlits

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Illinois
What's the cost to update ilife and iwork? A friend of mine sent me a link showing for 9.95 off of apple, but I can't seem to find that again.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
What's the cost to update ilife and iwork? A friend of mine sent me a link showing for 9.95 off of apple, but I can't seem to find that again.
It's still $79 to update each one. You can get iLife '08 for $9.95 if you bought your mac on Tuesday or later (it appears that there are some exceptions to this).

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Farewell Ernie. We hardly knew thee. :)

After a few weeks I'm going to try and get a round up on how great iLife '08 is. I just don't use those apps so much to justify even the admittedly small price.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
ya know you can just punch in your serial # and tell them you ordered it on august 7th and they wont do anything... i just ordered it fer 10 buks! (but i got my mbp on the 2nd)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?partNumber=MB124Z/A

:)
I think you just got lucky, or were on the cusp of a system that could have been on the shelf until after the 7th... When I enter my serial (bought my MBP in December '06) i get:
Sorry, we can't find the serial number you provided. Please recheck your serial number and enter it again.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for the hint, i got my serial to work :-D bought it about 2 months ago.

Edit: The serial for my mbp 2.33 ghz didnt work though. So i guess the new revision of macs (2.2&2.4) work.

Iker89

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
How long does software usually take to ship? If ordered it on Friday night, any chance it could be here by Wednesday before I go to college?

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
For the persons with success for a June or July purchase, are you using August 7th as a purchase date? I know on the small print it said that you would need to provide a photocopied receipt. Did it prompt for one? Thanks and congrats

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Bought my MBP in June.

It worked using Aug 7th purchase date. Too bad I already bought this at the retail store...

I wonder if I can buy the $9.99 upgrade and then return it to the local retail store, since I already installed the software. Anyone know if the packaging is the same?

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I bought my MBP in June. No luck, it said it could not find my serial number. I wonder what it is that allows some June people to use this and some to not. I bought my MBP from an apple store

My girlfriend's dad just tries his (Late July purchase) and it worked for him. He purchased his online.

flystraightin

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I called Apple and they said it was supposed to say July 7th or later on the site. I bought mine on July 12th. That page works for both American and Canadian accounts. I used the web form there and it came to $11.25 CAD incld. tax. I also downloaded the iWork '08 trial package and bought a serial number from the Apple Online Store for 50% off! Congrats Apple! I've never been so pleased by a company in this industry.

Having said that, I ordered it on Thursday and it has not shipped yet, I wont get too excited until its in the mail!