iPad Pro Freeze when fully charged

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Weird, I had this problem at least once, and I suppose it is somewhat comforting to see that everyone else is having the problem, because I'm confident that it can be fixed in firmware update.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
It's an iOS bug, it effects all iOS devices on 9.1 although it has been around for quite sometime on previous releases of iOS. changing hardware won't fix it. It seems to happen mostly when charging although I have seen it on an iPad Air 2 which hadn't been used for a couple of days. as it is not easy to reproduce Apple will probably take a while to fix it, especially if it is the result of different bugs.
That issue with locking up when the device when it is fully charged -- so that you find it with an unresponsive screen in the morning -- has been happening with all iOS 9 .1 devices? Hasn't been happening with my iPhone 6 Plus at all.

jqc

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Just happened on mine. Has not happened on myair 2 or 6 running 9.1. I'm loath to exchange at this point as this as my third as first two had stuck pixel issues. Have til Jan 8 to return anyway with holiday returns so hopefully it's a software issue and will get sorted out.

rjjacobson

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2014
Just got off a chat sessions with Apple Support. They recommend a restore to factory setting then a restore from backup. I'll try it later today and see what tomorrow morning brings.
3 days in row now since I got mine. Fully charged in morning but have not seen this issue yet. I have seen on my iPad air 1 from time to time, and on my iphones -- not sure if it was just 9.x or also 8.x but it is random.... for me at least.

bitNine

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
3 days in row now since I got mine. Fully charged in morning but have not seen this issue yet. I have seen on my iPad air 1 from time to time, and on my iphones -- not sure if it was just 9.x or also 8.x but it is random.... for me at least.
I bought an iPad pro yesterday, plugged it in and when it reached 100% it died. I reset it, then used about 10% of the battery and plugged it in when I went to bed. This morning it was locked up again, requiring a hard reset. This has never happened to my iPad Air. It has happened to my iPhone 6s, but not while plugged in. I have to say, iOS 9 sucks. Worst os Apple has ever put out, in terms of issues like this one. I have never had so many problems before.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
So, day 3 left it charging overnight, and today was the first day it DIDN'T lock up. So I canceled my Express Replacement. I only want to change it as a last resort, because I already have a screen protector on it. So if it happens again over the next week, I will restart my express replacement.

I am thinking it is a software glitch now, because if it was hardware, wouldn't it happen every time?

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
So, day 3 left it charging overnight, and today was the first day it DIDN'T lock up. So I canceled my Express Replacement. I only want to change it as a last resort, because I already have a screen protector on it. So if it happens again over the next week, I will restart my express replacement.

I am thinking it is a software glitch now, because if it was hardware, wouldn't it happen every time?
I noticed that mine was working when I woke up but required my password instead of Touch ID because it was recently restarted. So I'm guessing it froze up and eventually restarted itself.

will1563

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
I'm having the same problem on my 128 Gb model, three times in a row now, very repeatable.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
I noticed that mine was working when I woke up but required my password instead of Touch ID because it was recently restarted. So I'm guessing it froze up and eventually restarted itself.
This morning the one time it worked, I was able to get in with the Touch Sensor, so at least for mine, this morning it didn't restart or freeze overnight.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've been lucky I guess. I've charged it overnight the past three nights and haven't had a freeze. Could be I'm not using it too heavily right now either -- maybe with some heavier usage and more apps open it might perform differently. I'm on stock 9.1 that came with the Pro and set it up as a new iPad.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
Don't understand why others, with this problem, aren't doing what you did to resolve the problem rather than look for a solution here on the forum. That's one of the first things I do, after trying to troubleshoot on my own, to resolve issues with any of my Apple devices.
Because a lot of us have a lot of experience with dealing with Apple with problems and already know what to expect (the two places I live 80% of the year I can walk to 2-3 Apple Stores from each). For some it's a pain to set up a new device from scratch and others it may cost money to replace items like screen protectors or external decoractions. If you've just gone through restoring a couple times with a new device, rather than spending MORE time doing the same thing with a replacement, it saves time to find out that others have the same problem and that it will require action from higher up.

Retrogecko

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Thought I'd chime in. It Happened to me this morning too! In fact I worried it was dead until I'd held both buttons down for nearly 20 seconds. Curious to see what happens tomorrow morning..

bitNine

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
I have been able to reproduce this every time I have let it charge to 100% today. Drain it 2 or 3 percent, then plug it in. Come back later and it's dead.

I think I will try a factory reset then restore and see how that turns out.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Same here. Happened twice. I freaked out and thought it wasn't charging. I didn't realize you hard to hold down the power and home button for so long.

Nothing gets erased for me, so I hope it is just software based. Not worth taking it in yet with limited supply available.
Paying for iPad pro that cost 1k at least...yes you should have high expectation for the product.

jqc

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Bought another one and it has the same issue. tried reinstalling fresh 9.1 and letting it charge without restoring a backup. seemed to resolve issue. Restored backup and issue was back. will try to test it again a few times with only fresh 9.1 to see if it it goes away. if thats the case, its a software issue.

Im surprised though more people aren't reporting this issue. For those who don't have it, can you reply and state how you set up initially (i.e., restored from back up or not, fresh install of 9.1 or not, on 9.2 beta, etc), thx!

rjjacobson

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2014
Bought another one and it has the same issue. tried reinstalling fresh 9.1 and letting it charge without restoring a backup. seemed to resolve issue. Restored backup and issue was back. will try to test it again a few times with only fresh 9.1 to see if it it goes away. if thats the case, its a software issue.

Im surprised though more people aren't reporting this issue. For those who don't have it, can you reply and state how you set up initially (i.e., restored from back up or not, fresh install of 9.1 or not, on 9.2 beta, etc), thx!

I set up initially by restoring from the previous backup of my iPad air with 9.1. No beta. I have yet to see this issue. Even though random issues like this have been seen on my phone and other ipads in past but not commonly.

hagalah

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
When I got my ipad pro on Monday, will test it with fresh setup. This issue did happen to my 6s plus (ios 9.0.2) almost every night if I turn on the Do not disturb. The only difference is that my phone didn't freeze but reboot itself in the morning.

I thought the issue may be something with Do not disturb or backup restore conflict with ios 9.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Not seeing this problem with an iPad Pro bought on 11/11. As for it being a 9.1 problem, I haven't seen it on iPhone 6S or iPad Air 2 either.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Happened to me today too; 128gb wifi model. Wished I knew how to fix it. Had a 3 hour flight where I planned to use this but couldn't turn it on

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Which charger did you use to charge the iPad Pro?

It happened to me when I charged it with an iPhone charger.

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
Reported to Apple in the uk - he couldn't find anyone else reporting the same. Not swapping it, hoping for a fix in iOS 9.2...

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Musictechguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
It has happened to me twice after 2 full charges as well - I'm from the UK but thought it was a software issue so haven't called support yet.

Also - I have experienced 2 freezes when using the video app in windowed mode (or whatever it's called), first one I reset but second time I waited for a minute and it unlocked itself.

Until this problem effects my ability to use the pro I'll wait and see if an update can solve it.