Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Why exactly do the French need this?
Is France not on Earth too?

It's bad enough that boomers don't care about environmental health, but whole countries too?

Did you read the article? Of course not!

French law demands that manufacturers provide a hands-free accessory with smartphones due to concerns about the effect of electromagnetic waves on the brains.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
"French law demands that manufacturers provide a hands-free accessory with smartphones due to concerns about the effect of electromagnetic waves on the brains."
Is there real data based objective science that is driving this?
Or the French bureaucrats just being a PIA?

Reactions: ModusOperandi

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Perhaps it would be wise the French to reconsider the law and rewrite it to say that all handsets must have the ABILITY to be connected to a hands-free device. That way the manufacturers don’t have to include an unnecessary accessory, and French consumers have the ability to choose their hands free accessory of choice.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I wish Apple would still include these in the box - I definitely prefer the EarPods most of the time as they don’t need to be recharged every night

The rumor is that Apple is going to discontinue the lightning port on next year’s iPhone - I hope they can continue to make their other lightning accessories like their smart battery case which works great!

Why on Earth would Apple offer lightning battery cases for phones equipped for MagSafe?
[automerge]1603293391[/automerge]
Perhaps it would be wise the French to reconsider the law and rewrite it to say that all handsets must have the ABILITY to be connected to a hands-free device. That way the manufacturers don’t have to include an unnecessary accessory, and French consumers have the ability to choose their hands free accessory of choice.

Why? Is the law harming you in some way?

Reactions: ModusOperandi

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
I wish Apple would still include these in the box - I definitely prefer the EarPods most of the time as they don’t need to be recharged every night

The rumor is that Apple is going to discontinue the lightning port on next year’s iPhone - I hope they can continue to make their other lightning accessories like their smart battery case which works great!
Whether they are in the same box or not is immaterial. I just don't want to have to buy them over and over again.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Interesting that one country says cell phone radiation is toxic but another says its not. So now it's all about belief.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Personally I have no issue with Apple discontinuing to provide the EarPods and power supply since by this time I have several of each from past purchases of iPhones and iPads. If they change the charging port and/or require some special charger in the future, then they should include the new charger and cable. But for now we should have enough older ones lying around not to need a new one with each iPhone. It is like the early years of mini and micro USB cables when most products shipped with one, but once they were saturated into most households companies stopped shipping them with their products because we didn't need another one. Also the same with HDMI cables when they were first introduced. Eventually most people had 3 or 4 spare HDMI cables lying around so it was no longer necessary to include one with each device.

As for the French, well they will always do things differently I guess...

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Why on Earth would Apple offer lightning battery cases for phones equipped for MagSafe?
[automerge]1603293391[/automerge]

Why? Is the law harming you in some way?
I believe EU requires the wall charger to USB compatible so that they are interchangeable between manufacturers. This was done to minimize landfill.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
I agree with the environmental effects of including EarPods since everyone must have that or AirPods. However, they really should have included a power brick. I ordered one to use with MagSafe after ordering the MagSafe charger, meaning extra shipping and packaging. I'm sure most iPhone 12 users will purchase a USB-C 20W power adapter which defeats the purpose of saving the environment.

Don't say 'most' cause most iPhone users already have charging bricks to power their new iPhone 12, so you are the minority in needing to buying another power adapter.

I have mine from my iPhone 11 pro and chargers from previous phones that I've kept but I'll be using my 11 pro charger to charge my iPhone 12. Remember the new iPhone 12 uses Lightning cable to charge so nearly everyone and their grandmas have lightning cables. You don't need to use the USB-C cable that comes in the box if you already have a lightning cable.

This only really affects anyone who has NEVER used an iPhone or not used one since before the lightning cable was introduced.

I got the 12 pro in gold coming on friday and ill be of course replacing my iPhone 11 pro cable with the threaded one cause i prefer threaded cables.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
The rumor is that Apple is going to discontinue the lightning port on next year’s iPhone
No, that isn't "the rumor". That is idle speculation from people adding 1 + 1 and getting 5000. There are a myriad of unsolved and unsolvable problems that prevent this from happening anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Lukkee24

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I find it strange that they are mandatory included but using them is not mandatory.

Surely, if you believe the radiation is harmful, you would want people actually use the remedies...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.