Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I wish Apple would still include these in the box - I definitely prefer the EarPods most of the time as they don’t need to be recharged every night

The rumor is that Apple is going to discontinue the lightning port on next year’s iPhone - I hope they can continue to make their other lightning accessories like their smart battery case which works great!

Just to be clear, it's not a 'rumor' that the iPhone will drop the port next year. It's speculation based on the direction things seem to be going. People confuse rumors with speculation often and I just thought that should be clarified.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
The biggest takeaway from reading this article and the ensuing comments isn't that Apple isn't packaging EarPods with iPhones in France. It's that the entire world needs to be educate themselves about pseudoscience. I recommend www.quackwatch.org for a decent starting point. :rolleyes:

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
I believe EU requires the wall charger to USB compatible so that they are interchangeable between manufacturers. This was done to minimize landfill.
No it wasn't. It was done by uninformed and uneducated bureaucrats that were whiny about the cell phone chargers not being compatible. Instead of pushing for recycling programs and personal responsibility, they legislate ridiculous restrictions on private companies like petulant children.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
It's bad enough that boomers don't care about environmental health, but whole countries too?

Broad sweeping generalizations based on racism, sexism, etc. aren’t acceptable (even in jest); I don’t see how doing the same based on age is either.

And not that it matters, but no, I’m not a “boomer” nor am I against environmentally friendly practices.

• Wow
Reactions: AdonisSMU

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada

After the news that France would be the only territory to continue to include EarPods with the iPhone, it seems that Apple is not packing the earbuds within the iPhone's box (via iGeneration).

mg-dc18f394-aa80-47dc-a072-full.jpg

Screenshot from TheiCollection's review video

The French iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro does not have a different retail box to accommodate EarPods, meaning that all iPhone boxes are consistent worldwide. Since the new iPhone boxes are slimmer without a tray for EarPods or a power adapter below the iPhone, in France the EarPods are in the bottom of a separate box that is large enough to also contain the standard iPhone's box. The additional box appears to be much larger than the new, slimmed-down iPhone boxes.

Apple is continuing to include EarPods with iPhones in France due to legal obligations. French law demands that manufacturers provide a hands-free accessory with smartphones due to concerns about the effect of electromagnetic waves on the brains.

In addition to the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro, the iPhone 11, iPhone XR, and iPhone SE no longer include EarPods outside of France.

Apple's website encourages customers to use their existing Apple power adapter and headphones or buy these accessories separately, and Apple has now lowered the price of its EarPods with a Lightning connector from $29 to $19.

Apple touted the environmental benefits of no longer including EarPods or a power adapter with iPhones, noting that the move reduces carbon emissions and avoids the mining and use of rare-earth elements. ‌iPhone 12‌ models also ship in a thinner box as a result, with Apple claiming that it can fit 70 percent more ‌iPhone‌ boxes on a single pallet during shipping.

Article Link: French iPhone Boxes Come Packed in an Outer Box With Separate EarPods

How many "brains" do French people have?

• Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Why exactly do the French need this?
Is France not on Earth too?

It's bad enough that boomers don't care about environmental health, but whole countries too?

sorry but your post is plain stupid - every country , therefore it’s called country or state has its own legislation - you wanna change that little adolf?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wish Apple would still include these in the box - I definitely prefer the EarPods most of the time as they don’t need to be recharged every night

The rumor is that Apple is going to discontinue the lightning port on next year’s iPhone - I hope they can continue to make their other lightning accessories like their smart battery case which works great!

Canada ... better step it up with an equal regulation please! ;)

I have a feeling should next years iPhone be fully 'wireless' no lightning and no usb-c port, that any data port will be via USB-C from MagSafe in a small port on the bottom or the back.

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think it's one of the countries that cares the most. Carbon emissions are low, public transportation is developed. Can not even be compared to the US..
Have to agree. Paris' train system is pretty good. It's super walkable in Paris. I love it in Paris. It's the best city in the Western World.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I agree with the environmental effects of including EarPods since everyone must have that or AirPods. However, they really should have included a power brick. I ordered one to use with MagSafe after ordering the MagSafe charger, meaning extra shipping and packaging. I'm sure most iPhone 12 users will purchase a USB-C 20W power adapter which defeats the purpose of saving the environment.

I highly doubt that most users will buy one.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Mark32

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
I’ve never used the included headphones in the box. I wonder how many people just leave them in the box like I do

I don't. I like them, they're really good for music. Especially for the price. And they are durable; both are good reasons for not including them any more.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Because they require Apple to give you a $19 pair of cheap wired headphones? That's a pretty silly reason to want to move to a different country.

No, the fact that the EU protects customers more in general. The US barely has laws to protect employees lol.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
"French law demands that manufacturers provide a hands-free accessory with smartphones due to concerns about the effect of electromagnetic waves on the brains."

And so what's included are WIRELESS EarPods that are transmitting on both sides of the brain.

What French bureaucrats thought that this was a smart thing *IF* there is an impact of electromagnetic waves on the brain?

Given the science isn't settled here, everyone should have the choice to be in the control or experimental groups. Freedom.

• Haha

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There's quite a bit of research to suggest that RFR may have adverse health effects on young children:

The problem is, it can take many years for the consequences of such exposure to manifest itself into tumors (similar to sun-tanning in your 20s, and having melanoma in your 60s)

The theory and observed evidence suggests that exposure to RFR emitting devices, such as smartphones, so close to a developing brain can lead to higher levels of tissue damage than in adult human beings. The reason for this is that the skull structure is not as thick or as rippled (providing some resistance to RFR) and that the smaller diameter of the brain leads to deeper penetration effecting more sensitive areas of the brain. Using headphones helps to mitigate this risk by removing the phone away from the ear/brain.

So in short, they're doing it to protect future generations of children, which I suppose is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the environment, but there are other ways to balance the health of the environment with the health of the population.

Maybe revert to the old packaging rather than use an even bulkier box. Just a thought.
Can't force kids to use the headphones...maybe except the parents. We should have a good 30 years of data related to exposure from cell phone radiation at this point.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You don't need to recharge your AirPods every night. Except if you use them all day everyday and in this case I don't think the battery life is the real problem.
What is the real problem?

Also airpods lose battery charge capacity rather quickly and eventually need to be charged multiple times a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.